Radio Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Radio Removal

The glass on the face of my radio dial is cracked in two places. In an attempt to remedy I will need to remove it. The car is a 1951 Champion. I have losened the wing nut on the bottom of the radio but it holds tight. I assume a second bolt must be higher up the dash securing the speaker portion of the radio. Has anyone attempted this recently?

There should be 2 long screws in the bottom that go into the bottom of the dash plus the wingnut on the back you already found. Loosen the screws and the wingnut, unhook the wires and it should just drop out.
    Rob

Comment

Once you get the radio out of the dash, removing the glass from this radio is different than it appears at first.

There is a single hex head screw on the bottom of the radio by the black model number tag. DO NOT REMOVE THIS SCREW!!!! If you do, there is a great danger of ripping the tiny, hair-sized wires that go to the tuning coils. Then your local radio repairman will pull out his hair trying to fix it. Believe me. I know from experience.

The proper way to take off the chrome bezel is this.

Remove the back of the radio.
      Remove the front of the radio, the part that holds the speaker.
      remove all the hex head screws around the chrome bezel.
      remove the knobs.

Look in the back of the radio, all the way to the front. There is one screw on each end of the metal plate that holds the knobs and controls. Reaching in with an extension on your nut driver, remove those two screws, and the bezel will come off.

It's important to note that the push buttons and the tuning coils must stay with the radio. That's why you must not remove the one screw on the bottom by the serial number tag.

This is probably a lousily-worded explanation, but the basic idea is to remove the bezel while keeping the coils and buttons attached to the radio.

When you find a new glass, it's is much easier to install with RTV/silicone seal, than it is with the original clips.

Where will you find a new dial glass? Has anyone reproduced them recently?
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

The two screws Rob is talking about are right in front, on the bottom of the chrome faceplate or right behind it, they go straight UP into the dash.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Radio Removal

Thank you both. It sounds like removal should go easily enough. The info on the glass removal will certainly save both time and expense.

The new Studebaker International catalog lists replacement glass for the radio. Sounds a bit pricey though @ $39.00 each. May just have a piece cut and apply the station numbers with 1/4 inch sized stick on numbers available at selected office supply locations.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Glowiak View Post
            May just have a piece cut and apply the station numbers with 1/4 inch sized stick on numbers available at selected office supply locations.
            That will look... well... like a true CASO did it. With all the work you are going through to replace the cracked glass, wouldn't it be nice to have it look good afterwards?
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

Comment

Radio Removal

Perhaps so. Since your in the business do have any other suggestions for replacement glass that is original in appearance?

Comment

Thanks Roy, this is one of those forum threads I print off for future reference. Also, thanks Ted for asking the question.
                Perry
                \'50 Business Champion
                \'50 Starlight Champion
                \'60 Lark Convertible,
                \'63 GT R1,
                \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

I actually don't know where to get repro dial glass these days (except that Brent Hagen has, or did have them, for 56-57 radios). Radio dial glass seems to be something that is done as a cottage industry from time to time. In other words, someone will reproduce glass for a certain marque or year of car and when these reproductions are sold out that's the end of it.

The problem everyone faces who makes a reproduction is this. There is a demand for a part, originals get pricey, so someone figures out how to have something reproduced. It costs a lot of money to reach the minimums required by the company making the part. And it's a lot of work getting someone to make the item properly. Then, once the parts are reproduced, the clamoring masses who originally wanted the part, suddenly decide that there is no need to worry, the part is now available, and they can order it when they need it. So they don't order it.

that leaves the poor guy who created the reproduction sitting in piles of stock that is not moving, and with no money coming in. That's why no one makes a second batch.

Currently, I am not aware of anyone who makes reproduction dial glass for the 50-52 Studebaker (there are two different types, BTW, as the early 50 has a different number spacing than the late 50 and 51/52 models). Maybe I should get an SI catalog.

While I agree that $39 is a bit steep for a dial glass (they used to be $25-$29 some ten or more years ago, and I thought that was high then) I feel that I must remind you that we are lucky to even have that. How many other marques have reproduction radio dial glass besides tri-five Chevys?

Besides, the cost of the glass will be forgotten eventually, but the look of something home made will last. And every time some one gets in the car and sees the home made dial glass, they will make a judgement about how Studebakers really stack up to the more popular brands.

It may not be a popular opinion, but my opinion is that being a CASO not a badge of honor.
                  Last edited by RadioRoy; 06-29-2012, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X