S.I. brake kits in TW ad--a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S.I. brake kits in TW ad--a question

In the July TW Studebaker Intl. has a full page ad devoted to various brake kits for Studebakers.
    I have a 55 and was surprised that according to the ad self-adjusting brake stuff is only available for 1947 to 1953
    cars ergo my 55 has manual adjusting brakes.

My question is why did Studebaker ditch self-adjusters; it seems a big step back and I'm curious.

Murray
    Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

http://sites.google.com/site/intrigu...tivehistories/

(/url) https://goo.gl/photos/ABBDQLgZk9DyJGgr5

I believe the '47 to '53 self adjusters were unique to Studebaker. The design was genius and assured a constant and instant adjustment with each application but, to remain functional the parts needed to stay clean and dry. In '62 or '63 they equipped them with the star adjusters found in most modern drum brakes. Those years that fall between the cracks need manual adjustment any opportunity you have the car in the air.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
      /Cut/In '62 or '63 they equipped them with the star adjusters found in most modern drum brakes. Those years that fall between the cracks need manual adjustment any opportunity you have the car in the air.
      The '54 to '62 are star wheel MANUAL adjusted, and '63 to '66 Drum Brake are AUTOMATIC adjusted.

By putting on a late backing plate, correct shoes with a notch and a hole in the web, the rods, swivel, fine toothed starwheel, follower and springs the early can be converted.

I happen to not be a believer, I have put many back to Manual a lot easier to do, the Auto are OK for some people, but I prefer not to have dragging shoes.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
      X