PDA

View Full Version : Studebaker V8 HD SSS (more pics!)

BobPalma
06-25-2012, 08:25 AM
...that would be Heavy Duty Swing Set Safety.

Earlier, in this topic a couple days ago, I reported the story of SDCer Phil Brandt relocating his 1959 Silver Hawk after a 31-year absence. :!:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?62685-Way-cool-quot-Found-my-old-Stude-quot-Story-(pics!)

Phil attended the SDC Indy Chapter picnic yesterday (June 24) at the home of Charlie & Becky Griffith on Indianapolis' far east side. Phil brought me up to speed on details of the report that were a couple years off, so I corrected those this morning before posting this new topic.

Phil found the following project photos in the interim. These were taken in 1972, 40 years ago this summer, while the "restoration de jour" was in full bloom. ;)

Since the Hawk had not run over him in The Great Brake Bleeding Incident reported earlier, we were certain to follow all appropriate safety precautions when pulling the engine! :cool:

Here, at age 26, Phil's steady hand (and chain fall) deftly guide the 259 from its moorings in the Hawk's engine bay:

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss155/BobPalma/PBHawk72.jpg

Yours truly took the above photo, so we traded places and I pronounced the engine properly removed a few moments later. ('Not sure what I was doing with the big bar; perhaps preparing to fend off any barnyard critters disturbed during the engine's removal.)

Same age as Phil; 26. He was born the day before I was born. So, chronologically, our "ages" are within 24 hours of each other...but he is the Senior Citizen of the two of us. In fact, for a few hours on February 10, 2011, in true CASO fashion, I had to accompany Phil to McDonald's so's he could get the Senior Citizen price on coffee before I turned 65 the next day!

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss155/BobPalma/BobPHawk72.jpg

You can see that all safety precautions received our rapt attention, as evidenced by the diagonal chain bracing on the far side. It would have prevented the loaded "swing set" from swaying to the car's left. (As Phil observed, I guess we didn't consider preventing the swing set from swaying to the right, carrying the whole load into the truck parked next to the Hawk. :eek:)

Yes, Phil did get the car done, and here he is with soon-to-be (a week or so later) first wife Elaine in 1973. (It had been a long weekend even though he won a class trophy with the Hawk, so they are kind of tired with the prospect of having to pack up and vacate the venue):

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss155/BobPalma/pbelaineHawk73.jpg

BP

candbstudebakers
06-25-2012, 10:29 AM
I like the blocks under the legs to get more heigth, and the strength of the top bar as it is bending in the middle, but can't falt you guys at that age it would have been the way I would have done it, just make do and get it done. but I would have used rope on the sway maybe the close line.

Bill Pressler
06-25-2012, 10:37 AM
Too damn funny, Bob!

studegary
06-25-2012, 12:44 PM
I remember when my ex-BiL tried this "trick". For him, the swing set just sort of folded in the middle. I and local friends used to use strong, live tree branches. We never had a problem with those.

Roscomacaw
06-25-2012, 12:54 PM
Cool pics, Bob! I had a 64 Olds along about 1970 or so. Damned slim jim automatic was shot so I changed it out with one from a wrecking yard. I was living in an apartment at the time and had no fancy "facilities" like Phil. Instead, I straddled a ditch with the big Olds and hefted the trannies out and in with my arms and chest....... only to find that the replacement tranny was as bad as the one I'd taken out!

R_David
06-25-2012, 12:57 PM
My first car was a VW Super Beetle, when I wanted to yank the engine so I could replace a cracked cylinder jug I just backed it up to the oak tree in our backyard. Tied a chain to the bumper and hoisted the rear end of the bug up into the air using what is commonly called a 'come-along' hand winch attached to a tree branch. Dropped the engine out the bottom and got a friend to help me carry it into the garage.

I guess that is when I became a 'shade tree' mechanic. Wish I had pictures like you guys did!!

BobPalma
06-25-2012, 10:05 PM
Cool pics, Bob! I had a 64 Olds along about 1970 or so. Damned slim jim automatic was shot so I changed it out with one from a wrecking yard. I was living in an apartment at the time and had no fancy "facilities" like Phil. Instead, I straddled a ditch with the big Olds and hefted the trannies out and in with my arms and chest....... only to find that the replacement tranny was as bad as the one I'd taken out!

Cool, Bob. I wonder how many other guys here have used a ditch as a "working pit."

When cousin George Krem first bought The Plain Brown Wrapper, it was a factory 289 / 4-bbl, but with single exhaust!

We fixed that right away by installing a dual exhaust system while the car straddled the ditch in front of his parent's home in Roselle IL.

(If we had only known young Jeff Rice was next door in Itasca, we'd have rung him up to come over and help!) BP

gordr
06-25-2012, 10:10 PM
Heh. Just removed the engine from a '73 Super Beetle today. I have the luxury of a 4-post hoist; so I got everything disconnected, save for one o the top engine bolts, lowered the hoist, and positioned a floor jack under the motor. Took out the remaining bolt, and the engine was out inside of a minute.

But I remember doing it the hard way, too.

SN-60
06-25-2012, 10:20 PM
To; Bob Palma,----Those weekend Autorama type shows were fun, but at the same time Your right....they were very tiring. Had to stay with car Friday night, all day Saturday, all day Sunday....then the cars 'HAD TO GO OUT' late
Sunday night. These shows were usually held in Jan--Feb, so that Sunday night One could be driving their showcar home in a blizzard. Always a concern. I don't really miss those shows!

Warren Webb
06-26-2012, 02:14 AM
This thread reminds me of when I pulled out the engine from my 73 Caddilac Sedan de Ville by way of a chain wrapped around the crossbeam in the garage. I had reinforced the beam with a stringer up to the roof joist & then used a come-a-long lifting the engine out. This was in the car that had the head of a valve break off, wedging into the piston crown & locking the rotating mass to a sudden halt. How did I fix it? Pretty much like the way I removed the engine & now knowing what I do now, am amazed it even ran! Being that I was working at a Cadillac dealer, I ordered ONE piston. Bought a gasket set thru a rebuilder for $15.00, did a valve job on the one head & while I had it apart I did replace the "t-bars & rockers" obtained from a newer warranty engine assembly. The road test was driving my kids & parents (who had just arrived the day before from N.J., leave the cold of back east to visit son only to have him drive you to the snow of Mammoth Lakes, Calif!!) for a 3 day trip, 350-400 miles each way!! I look back now & file it to the innocence (& stupidity) of youth.

P.S. The garage is still standing with its roof intact in Redondo Beach, Calif.

avantilover
06-26-2012, 02:33 AM
I seem to recall a silly Youtube video from Germany I recall, where a chain was tied to a VW Golf engine and they reversed at high speed laughing as the engine tore out of the car. Just amazing what folks will do.

BobPalma
06-26-2012, 07:34 AM
I seem to recall a silly Youtube video from Germany I recall, where a chain was tied to a VW Golf engine and they reversed at high speed laughing as the engine tore out of the car. Just amazing what folks will do.

Now just a minute, John! That was intentional destruction! :eek:

As can be seen in this well-preserved photo documentary, Phil and I were seriously engaged in the thorough, meticulous, preservation of a rare automotive artifact.

In fact, I remember our conversation to that effect at the time, having properly consulted historians and museum curators as we carefully proceded with the preservation's intensity. Only occasionally did we remove our white gloves while at the "dig."

Or something like that. :rolleyes: BP

tailfin
06-26-2012, 05:50 PM
Bob, I am sure glad you used, Ahhh.... thorough, meticulous methods in your preservation. At least partly because of that, the "rare automotive artifact" still breathes. And makes me happy. You may take the white gloves off now...

52 Ragtop
06-26-2012, 07:38 PM
"As can be seen in this well-preserved photo documentary, Phil and I were seriously engaged in the thorough, meticulous, preservation of a rare automotive artifact.

In fact, I remember our conversation to that effect at the time, having properly consulted historians and museum curators as we carefully proceded with the preservation's intensity. Only occasionally did we remove our white gloves while at the "dig."

Or something like that. :rolleyes: BP"

Spoken like a TRUE Used Car Salesman!!! <G>

Jim (Jeff Rice made me say it) LOL

rockinhawk
06-26-2012, 07:59 PM
I was laying the brick on a house for a true redneck. I came in one monday morning to find my scaffold set up over his Ford truck with the engine hanging from a couple of walk boards.

BobPalma
06-27-2012, 09:46 PM
To Bob Palma: Those weekend Autorama-type shows were fun...but at the same time, you're right....they were very tiring. Had to stay with car Friday night, all day Saturday, all day Sunday....then the cars 'HAD TO GO OUT' late Sunday night.

These shows were usually held in Jan-Feb, so on Sunday night one could be driving their show car home in a blizzard. 'Always a concern. I don't really miss those shows!

BINGO! You got that right, Ed; what a PITA they could be. :cool: BP