PDA

View Full Version : Studebaker Louie........who is he?

glen
06-24-2012, 10:02 AM

Bill Pressler
06-24-2012, 10:43 AM
I just received this email myself.

9echo
06-24-2012, 11:33 AM
I received the same message this morning.

64V-K7
06-24-2012, 11:40 AM
Ditto.... I guess he copied it to every email address he could find

aarrggh
06-24-2012, 11:45 AM
louie - louie

Orestudeguy
06-24-2012, 12:11 PM
Ok, I got one too.. Has anyone went to his website?

JGK 940
06-24-2012, 12:23 PM
louie - louie

oh no Me gotta go now Aye-yi-yi-yi

Same email received here. Can't say I think too much of this use of the SDC roster as a marketing tool. That's not what I signed up for, and I'm disappointed. Don't care what ol' Loooeee's got to sell; I ain't buyin'.

shifter4
06-24-2012, 01:07 PM
Well , I went to the website .
Tactics aside , the link is there , so I wanted to see what they have .

PeterHawk
06-24-2012, 01:14 PM
Got the email, went to the web site looking for a windshield wiper motor p/n 1339396. The part was listed on louie's website as item 311 so I inquired. Waiting for a response. Website says he's in South Bend but not sure what country!!! No specific info has been shared with Louie, so we'll see what happens.

BTW does anybody have an NOS or good rebuilt 1339396 I could buy and get at the IM?

wolfie
06-24-2012, 01:14 PM
Well , I went to the website .
Tactics aside , the link is there , so I wanted to see what they have .

Can we assume then that it is/was a legit website and not a spam thing? I wont weigh in on the other issue. Thanks, Steve

hausdok
06-24-2012, 01:30 PM
S'funny,

The Studebaker world isn't that big yet the guy that owns this site is using GoDaddy.com to remain invisible. Why do that unless you have something to hide? Have there been any significant thefts of Studebaker parts - particularly truck parts lately?

The Editor of Turning Wheels should know who/what they are - unless they used a proxy to place the ad in TW too.

Might be an internet scam, might be a fence moving parts, might be a legitimate dude trying to get rid of his collection that doesn't want to become the subject of a long drawn-out "Oh, what a shame" thread on this site.

shifter4
06-24-2012, 01:31 PM
They list parts by category , and have pics of them.
The contact is the same as the address from which the emails came to us.
They say that they are near South Bend .
That's all I know.

rusty nut garage
06-24-2012, 01:36 PM
web site looks legit, pictures are too small and in many cases he doesn't know what he has. Looks like mostly used parts. Oh and no prices???

They list parts by category , and have pics of them.
The contact is the same as the address from which the emails came to us.
They say that they are near South Bend .
That's all I know.

K-Hawk
06-24-2012, 01:45 PM
There are no prices listed and there appears to doubt as to what the parts are. Many parts have could be from 259 or maybe a 289 next to them.

TX Rebel
06-24-2012, 01:53 PM
He evidently came across a decent horde of parts & is ambitious enough to get them on line & let his target audience know what he has. No prob there. I also got his email this morning. He probably is not an experienced Stude parts vendor, but I laud him for making the parts he has available. I would merely suggest that he put prices on his listings. I wish I had the time & talent to get some of my inventory listed on my site, which is BTW, also on godaddy. Mainly, I have cars listed on my nascent site, which is www.studebakersite.com Coming soon: a solid '51 Champion ragtop project car.

StudeDave57
06-24-2012, 03:30 PM
I'm VERY VERY curious to know how I got one of these emails.

My email addie is NOT in the SDC Roster... :ohmy:

JRoberts
06-24-2012, 04:42 PM
I got the email too and went to the site. My opinion of it is much the same as most folks have already said. I would like to know how he got our email addresses. I thought that maybe the SDC was a source, but StudeDave '57 pretty much quashed that since his email is not in the SDC roster.

I looked at the pickup he has for sale with the bed being listed separately and thought that was a little curious.

jlmccuan
06-24-2012, 04:57 PM
It is a bit of a puzzle as to the origins of his mailing list. Perhaps it's time to start using my "junk" email account for all registrations, organizations, etc. Has anyone seen any other marketing from these folks? Bought anything? There are a lot of things I'll jump right in to. I don't feel like being the test pilot on this one.

Roscomacaw
06-24-2012, 05:07 PM
I didn't get the E-mail. Wonder where all these parts have been hiding?

ddub
06-24-2012, 05:32 PM
Site looks legit, although some of those photos I think I have seen on e-bay. Could be borrowing the pix or he may sell there too.

Corvanti
06-24-2012, 05:35 PM
has anyone checked TW to see if he actually has an ad, or is it supposed to be in the next issue? will be checking my latest TW...

immediately deleted the e-mail to "phishing scam".

sorry if i offend anyone, but stuff like this has to be taken as "guilty until proven innocent". :ohmy:

41 Frank
06-24-2012, 05:36 PM
I got it also. While my e-mail is in TW it is not in the Roster.

Warren Webb
06-24-2012, 05:36 PM
Nothing in my e-mail from him. I'll have to check and see what I have for my e-mail listed!

bob40
06-24-2012, 06:25 PM
Got the email also

rockne10
06-24-2012, 06:38 PM
If everyone who got the email (including myself) subscribes to Bill Jackameit's studebaker page, there's your source.

Corvanti
06-24-2012, 06:45 PM
i don't subscribe to the page, but have been there before. maybe a year or so ago...

57 Classic
06-24-2012, 06:51 PM
Nothing in my e-mail.
Brian Millette

okc63avanti
06-24-2012, 07:16 PM
I got the email this morning .... my thoughts are we have someone from the South Bend area investigate ...

On e-mail list does SDC sale our e-mails (I hope not), assuming they don't then did he hack through e-mail list from this forum?

StudeDave57
06-24-2012, 07:23 PM
If everyone who got the email (including myself) subscribes to Bill Jackameit's studebaker page, there's your source.
I may regret asking this later, but...

Who exactly is Bill? :confused:
(and what website are you talking about?)

:ohmy: :o

StudeDave '57 :cool:

raprice
06-24-2012, 07:28 PM
I received his email today as well. I put it into my spam file.
I'm surprised at how many Stude people got the email. I really would like to know how he got my and everyone else's email address.
Rog

dean pearson
06-24-2012, 07:29 PM
He didnt get my email,...
Nor does he have a nos 52 hardtop beltline trim.

Dangit.

Dean.

Dan White
06-24-2012, 07:32 PM
I have gotten 2 phishing scam emails from listings on the Studebakerswap.com website??

rusty65
06-24-2012, 07:51 PM
I got the e-mail this morning.
You know what Louie rhymes with.
......I'm just sayin'..........

rockne10
06-24-2012, 08:05 PM
Bill's a good guy who shares a lot of interesting Stude stories.
http://billstudepage.homestead.com/

Green53
06-24-2012, 08:06 PM
I received it as well.

Denny L

rockinhawk
06-24-2012, 08:22 PM
I didn't get an Email. I feel left out, unloved and unwanted...

studelark
06-24-2012, 08:32 PM
[QUOTE=StudeDave57;656583][B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"] I may regret asking this later, but...

Who is Bill Jackamiet? He is a member of the Greater Virginia Chapter-SDC and has one of the oldest, longest running Studebaker oriented sites on the Internet. A great guy who is low key, but is a Studebaker fanatic. I have subscribed to his website for the past 12 years and I did not receive an e-mail from Mr. Looie. So I don't believe someone has high-jacked (not intended to be a pun) Bill's list.

If you don't know Bill Jackameit and his long years of promoting Studebaker, you're missing something. I'll not post his email address, but simply Google "Bill Jackameit's Studebaker Page". You'll love it!

Frank Drumheller
Locust Grove, VA
60S=W6
M16-52 1948 Studebaker-Boyer fire truck

candbstudebakers
06-24-2012, 08:53 PM
I got the e-mail today, didn't look at the site yet,

gordr
06-24-2012, 09:08 PM
Got the e-mail today; deleted it. If Louie is legit, let him come here and explain himself.

studegary
06-24-2012, 09:10 PM

I never heard of that site and therefore have not visited it.
I received the subject e-mail and simply deleted it.
I wonder where he got the e-mail list. Could it be from this Forum?

plwindish
06-24-2012, 09:15 PM
I also got the email. Went to the site all the info I saw was for old Studes.

kurtruk
06-24-2012, 10:36 PM
Yes, he has an ad in June 2012 Turning Wheels. First one on page 58. I thought it was nice to see a "new" source to look for some Stude parts. I did not get the e-mail. Maybe that's why I'm calm about it.

David56j
06-24-2012, 10:50 PM
I have not received the e-mail. The e-mail address I use here is only used for Studebaker related activities. There must be some other source than this forum.

HookedonStudies
06-24-2012, 11:14 PM
I got the email as well.

mbstude
06-25-2012, 12:14 AM
A guy made a website and took the time to inventory, photograph, and advertise a bunch of parts for sale. That's a big undertaking. He somehow got a list of email contacts (mine included) to spread the word, after putting an ad in TW. Maybe one of the other vendors, or an SDCer gave him a list of Studebaker owners' email addresses. I don't know, but it's not like an email address is something secretive.

Either email the poor guy to potentially buy his parts, or don't. This thread and "you're a terrible person if you own cars that are rusting in a field" are the two hot topics right now. I don't get you guys.

I make my living from car guys, and a lot of those are Studebaker owners. The only Studebaker I own is rusting away in a yard, and it isn't for sale. I'm a horrible person.

StudeDave57
06-25-2012, 12:46 AM
Bill's a good guy who shares a lot of interesting Stude stories.
http://billstudepage.homestead.com/

Who is Bill Jackamiet? He is...

Thanks folks- now I know. How I didn't already is beyond me. :rolleyes:
I'll have to bookmark his sites when I'm on my own 'puter.

Bob Andrews
06-25-2012, 04:36 AM
A guy made a website and took the time to inventory, photograph, and advertise a bunch of parts for sale. That's a big undertaking. He somehow got a list of email contacts (mine included) to spread the word, after putting an ad in TW. Maybe one of the other vendors, or an SDCer gave him a list of Studebaker owners' email addresses. I don't know, but it's not like an email address is something secretive.

Either email the poor guy to potentially buy his parts, or don't. This thread and "you're a terrible person if you own cars that are rusting in a field" are the two hot topics right now. I don't get you guys.

Agreed. What's the big deal?

So, if I have this right- if you 'hoard' Studebaker stuff, you're a bad person. If you make a massive effort to sell your Studebaker stuff, you're a bad person. So that means if anyone has any hands-on involvement with Studebakers, they're a bad person. Right?

Hopefully 'Louie' can get his parts into the hands of people who need them. If not, not. But if he sees this thread and the 'hoarder' thread, he may decide to just scrap everything he has, lest he burn in eternal damnation for doing marketing.

For the record, I got the e-mail; read it; looked at the website; bookmarked it; went on to the next thing. I had no idea he was causing people to get the vapors...

Stu Chapman
06-25-2012, 05:15 AM
I never heard of that site and therefore have not visited it.
I received the subject e-mail and simply deleted it.
I wonder where he got the e-mail list. Could it be from this Forum?

I also received the email and deleted it. I question if he got my email address from the Forum since my profile doesn't list it. Neither does your's Gary. However I have on occasion given my email address in a thread but then how do many other members got on his list who haven't shown their email addresses?
Stu Chapman

2R5
06-25-2012, 05:34 AM
He may of got some from the SDC swap page

8E45E
06-25-2012, 06:44 AM
Matt, all I did was ask......"Who is Studebaker Louie?" Since his email was out of the "blue" and unsolicited!

Matt is correct. But these days, most (and myself admittedly), are skeptical of unsolicited mail of any kind, be it printed advertising left in your mailbox at your house, or electronically on your computer. Walls automatically go up, and it not 'wrong' in any way to ask others if they've had dealings with an individual, either bad or good.

Craig

coyote
06-25-2012, 09:29 AM
Nothng wrong with being sceptical or cautious regarding a new potential vendor. However he got his email list, I don't see it as any big deal with him sending out his advertisement.

ddub
06-25-2012, 11:29 AM
I am very careless about my email address, but I did not hear from Louie.

Drummerboy
06-25-2012, 12:28 PM
I got the email too. I notice that Louie is on the Studebaker Vendors website.

stupak
06-25-2012, 03:03 PM
I received his email also. Just today, I received my July 2012 TW's. He DOES have an ad on page 54, second column, 3rd ad down. IF he is not legit, he went to an awful lot of trouble creating his web site and placing his ad. I would say he is legit but he could have done a better job introducing himself to the Studebaker world. stupak

karterfred88
06-25-2012, 03:30 PM
I got one as well. Only sites that have my e-mail are--SDC ,AOAI, Studebaker Museum and SI, so it seems by default they came from SDC or the museum. He may have joined and spent hours going through the rosters-but I doubt it. Our e-mail addresses have most likely been given or sold to him by someone. I'll just spam it for the moment and wait to see if any more info shows

Studedude
06-25-2012, 05:20 PM

I make my living from car guys, and a lot of those are Studebaker owners. The only Studebaker I own is rusting away in a yard, and it isn't for sale. I'm a horrible person.

:cool::!:
................................................................................ ......................

JBOYLE
06-25-2012, 06:15 PM
I got it too.
I've blocked him.

Poor form for anyone to use club resources (Roster/this site) to spam for commercial purposes.

I'd like an explanation...

Henry Votel
06-25-2012, 07:41 PM
Good grief. . . . .

Lot of nighties in a knot over getting an email from someone about parts for our favorite marque. Leaping Lizards Batman! Too many worries about how your email address was obtained and claimed personal offenses; so sue'em. Email addresses are the electronic postal delivery system of the world. If you are in fear that someone contacted you on your email terminate your email account, block everything, take 2 aspirin and check your blood pressure in the morning. This is too funny. Cue theme from the Twilight Zone. . . . .

Jim B PEI
06-25-2012, 07:52 PM
I think I'm with Henry Votel on this.

If he had appeared as a Newbie on the Forum offering parts for sale, I suspect some people might have had their suspicions too.

If you don't want to receive email, or junk texts, do what a relative of mine does--eschew a computer and/or cellphone completely.

studelark
06-25-2012, 07:54 PM
Right on, Henry!!! You said it all in one concise paragraph.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Frank Drumheller
Locust Grove, VA
60S-W6
M16-52 Studebaker-Boyer 1948 fire truck
a hiltop of Studebaker skeletons sinking into Mother earth

Bob Andrews
06-25-2012, 08:12 PM
he could have done a better job introducing himself to the Studebaker world.

I agree to this. If he knows about TW and placing an ad there, he must know about the forum, you'd think he'd come here as part of his marketing plan.

Maybe, he lurks here and decided to avoid the rectal exam he is getting anyway:) Or maybe, he knew his technique would cause a lot of publicity, at least here among the delicates and tin foil hatters. Genius!

Either way, I just don't see the crime.

Hey Louie- if you're looking in, how about letting me in on your e-mail culling technique? I could use it in my business. My e-mail is....... wait, you already know it. Well played, sir!

Clem64
06-25-2012, 10:32 PM
Yep, got one too. I rarely comment on these type of topics, but this incident bugs me a bit. I consider my e-mail address exactly the same as my telephone number. I do not appreciate people calling me on the phone (or e-mail) that I don't know, trying to sell me something I may or may not want, if I didn't initially inquire about it first.

DieselJim
06-25-2012, 10:36 PM
I didn't get one. Near South Bend and I never heard of him.

gohdes
06-26-2012, 12:23 AM
I got Louie's email too.
Never been to Bill Jackameit's studepage.
Not on studebakerswap.com.

doesn't seem to be a solid connection that I see.
He definitely got a pretty large email list from somewhere.

bob40
06-26-2012, 01:02 AM
By now we all know Louie is legit.Cool.How he got the addresses is no big deal to me.
This link is for those who get all whipped up about spammers and how they get email addresses.
Batten down the hatches and let the paranoia begin;)
http://www.private.org.il/harvest.html

JimC
06-26-2012, 01:50 AM
I agree to this. If he knows about TW and placing an ad there, he must know about the forum, you'd think he'd come here as part of his marketing plan.

Maybe, he lurks here and decided to avoid the rectal exam he is getting anyway:) Or maybe, he knew his technique would cause a lot of publicity, at least here among the delicates and tin foil hatters. Genius!

Either way, I just don't see the crime.

Hey Louie- if you're looking in, how about letting me in on your e-mail culling technique? I could use it in my business. My e-mail is....... wait, you already know it. Well played, sir!
I have been surprised chatting with various Studebaker owners in the area how many are members of the club and avid TW readers who haven't found this forum yet. That being said, I guess I'm not cool enough to make it onto Louie's mailing list, as I never got an email from him. Oh well, the good news is that a Nigerian prince just informed me that if I help him move a trunkbox overseas, I'll become insanely wealthy, so that's good news. :D

TDITS
06-26-2012, 08:10 AM
You know someone could have a lot of fun with the members of this forum if they registered the Studebaker Louie user name and started posting.........
Some of you would get your knickers tied in such a knot you wouldn't be able to poop for a week.

So the guy sent you a email letting you know about his web site and the fact that he has studebaker parts for sale. Let's tar and feather him. Then you can sit back and wonder why you can't get new people to join the club or the forum.
I can remember before the days of the internet when I would have killed to find someone that had all those parts. And he is willing to sell them, he's not horrding them saying some day I'm going to use them myself.

warrlaw1
06-26-2012, 08:33 AM
I got the e-mail and am not associated with Bill's site. They only Louie I ran across in Studedome is in Detroit I delivered a couple of Bob Petersen's fenders to him a couple of years ago. Go Louie!.

JBOYLE
06-26-2012, 09:25 AM
So the guy sent you a email letting you know about his web site and the fact that he has studebaker parts for sale. Let's tar and feather him. Then you can sit back and wonder why you can't get new people to join the club or the forum.

Maybe some of us don't want to get spam? Perhaps we don't want offers from the widow of a Nigerian president, Canadian drugs, or how to cheat on your spouse via Fu#$book.

Sorry, I don't see anything wrong in wanting to keep trash, scams and cons away from MY computer.

If it doesen't bother you fine, but don't belittle those who don't want junk.

Dick Steinkamp
06-26-2012, 09:38 AM
I got an ad for WalMart in my mailbox at home the other day. I wasn't interested so I threw it away.

Anyone else?

Lothar
06-26-2012, 09:40 AM
I got the email, too. I think that Glen, the O.P. for this thread, had a legitimate question: Who is this guy and has anyone done business with him? Apparently no one has, yet.

I don't like unsolicited emails any more than I like unsolicited mail or unsolicited phone calls. I understand its a fact of life in the modern world, but I don't want to enable or encourage spammers.

Clark (Forum moderator)
What's your take on this? Could Studebaker Louie get email addresses through the Forum somehow? If so, his message could be just the tip of the "Spamberg", so to speak.

Stu Chapman
06-26-2012, 09:50 AM
I have been surprised chatting with various Studebaker owners in the area how many are members of the club and avid TW readers who haven't found this forum yet. That being said, I guess I'm not cool enough to make it onto Louie's mailing list, as I never got an email from him. Oh well, the good news is that a Nigerian prince just informed me that if I help him move a trunkbox overseas, I'll become insanely wealthy, so that's good news. :D

Well perhaps we could use a well-documented article in Turning Wheels promoting the benefits of the Forum. What do you say Bob Palma? Words of wisdom from you in your section of TW would be great.
Stu Chapman
Stu Chapman

JimC
06-26-2012, 10:25 AM
You can't buy a convertible and complain when your hair gets messed up.

Ultimately, spam (unsolicited email, which is what this amounts to, even if it is potentially "useful") is a cost associated with the benefit of the technology. Just like crash fatalities is a cost of driving. Just like fliers in the mail is a cost of having a postal system. It's part of the picture, and you can never truly extract it. Even if you're the most diligent person, using the stealthiest of web browsing, you're still bound to get a few odd emails eventually.

I think Louie is catching a lot of flak because for the most part, there's usually not a place to vent frustrations over spam. Because it's "Studebaker spam", and we're part of a Studebaker forum, this gives us a vent for frustration, and then it's like a crack in a dam. Years of anger over Viagra spam and Nigerian scam mail finally pops, channeled at the one source we can put a name on.

Just my .02

StudeDave57
06-26-2012, 10:41 AM
I got Louie's email too. Never been to Bill Jackameit's studepage. Not on studebakerswap.com.

doesn't seem to be a solid connection that I see.
He definitely got a pretty large email list from somewhere.
same, same and same. And how I see it.
The only question is where did the list come from?

I'm not knockin' the guy- I plan to inquire about some prices on some stuff that I 'think' I need,
but can't be sure of until I get home and have access to my parts books, and 'want' lists that are there... ;)

Roscomacaw
06-26-2012, 10:52 AM
................................ http://www.democraticunderground.com/emoticons/boring.gif

JimC
06-26-2012, 10:57 AM
................................ http://www.democraticunderground.com/emoticons/boring.gifI was once told that if you beat the dead horse long enough, they start to feel bad about dying.

JBOYLE
06-26-2012, 11:40 AM
I got an ad for WalMart in my mailbox at home the other day. I wasn't interested so I threw it away.

Anyone else?

Your point?
(Other than ridiculing those who complain?)

At least I've shopped at WalMart, I know it's real and not some scam (I know many think WalMart is the antiChrist...come on, it's just a store).

Junk mail is fine, I pass the trash can on the way back from the mailbox.
But gettting unrequested (occasionally obscene) offers on a computer that I paid good money for is something different. To say nothing of possible viruses and other illegal add-ons.

I'm happy some of you think spam is good fun.
I'd hardly a luddite, and realize when you have a mailbox, telephone or computer, you get unwanted attention.

But that doesn't mean I have to encourage it.

Jerry Forrester
06-26-2012, 03:24 PM
I got it too.
I've blocked him.

Poor form for anyone to use club resources (Roster/this site) to spam for commercial purposes.

I'd like an explanation...

Well I guess I wont be offering chrome plating services or chrome plated items here anymore. Don't want to show poor form ya know. <G>
FYI. I received his email. But it came into my forr62 mailbox, not the Jerry Forrester mailbox I use foe SDC and forums.
I was glad to get his email because we need all the Stude parts suppliers we can get.

JBOYLE
06-26-2012, 04:03 PM
Well I guess I wont be offering chrome plating services or chrome plated items here anymore. Don't want to show poor form ya know. <G>

Jerry, there is a huge difference between posting something on a forum where we all have Studebakers and might be interested in your products or services, and getting an email to a fairly private address.

Think of an email like a phone call, would you want any old club member calling you at home to let you know he has some parts?
It would be different if I had contracted him and "opted in" of future emails letting me know of deals and the like.

I'm not against any Stude vendor...(Lord knows I've given enough of them enough money :) ) but there are better ways to let us know of their services.

coyote
06-26-2012, 04:24 PM
I wonder what the reaction would have been if Louie had snail mailed everyone his notification.
Nothing keeps people from sending you stuff through the post office. Same way for email, it's just a non issue if you ask me.

gohdes
06-26-2012, 04:29 PM
Just like fliers in the mail is a cost of having a postal system. It's part of the picture, and you can never truly extract it.
Just my .02

you can't compare flyers from newspaper or mail to this. Everyone on my street got the flyers/junk mail. Those are target to zip codes, or geographical areas. My neighbors did not receive this studebaker email.

This was obviously a list he paid for or found, and sent unsolicited ads to a specific group of people. If he used a computer program to send this to every known email address in the world (like the Vi@gra emails & Rolex Replica email I get every darn day), I'd be fine with it. I didn't get it in my "junk" email I use when I sign up for contests, or sweepstakes, etc. so it's not fine.

But, I for one, want to make sure our member list isn't for sale to advertisers. could you imagine if all the TW advertisers used our roster to send out ads? Your inbox would be full of stude spam.

well said JBoyle: I'm not against any Stude vendor...(Lord knows I've given enough of them enough money ) but there are better ways to let us know of their services.

aarrggh
06-26-2012, 05:30 PM
I`m pulling for ya Louie . !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx-8_GI4d2c

Henry Votel
06-26-2012, 06:13 PM
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" -Abraham Lincoln

kurtruk
06-26-2012, 06:16 PM
Your point?
(Other than ridiculing those who complain?)

Junk mail is fine, I pass the trash can on the way back from the mailbox.

I'm happy some of you think spam is good fun.

Of course you SHRED it first. RIGHT?

kurtruk
06-26-2012, 06:25 PM
And why is it all you folks are getting ads for Viagra? :o I don't. Hmm. Didn't get one from Studebakerlouie, either. Feelin kinda left out...:(

Samjoe
06-26-2012, 06:36 PM
Well, we are all are going to be in South Bend the end of next month.
Maybe we can round up a posse and go beat him up.

JimC
06-26-2012, 07:54 PM
Oh man,a lynch mob! How exciting!

But, before I start working on my noose tying, there is another rhetorical question I wanted to throw out there. In our world of moderately to severely aged Studebaker vendors, is it possible that this guy bought the stock of a former vendor, and along with that stock came a contacts list, which he may have innocently and a little naively assumed that he could use, since they were contacts for the old vendor? Is it possible that Louie might have sincerely meant no harm?

Gohdes, while your physical neighbors didn't get it, your virtual neighbors in Stude land did, so the analogy still sorta holds, though I get what you're saying.

Lastly, this guy has an email listed plain as day on his site. Has anyone thought to approach him all friendly like and simply ask how he got their address? Sometimes the direct approach is a lot more effective than whining for days on end.

Just some thoughts.

s2dwagon
06-26-2012, 08:22 PM
One thing's for sure, his advertizing methods are effective, to say the least. Lotta people talking about him/her.

Scott

BubbaBear
06-26-2012, 08:31 PM
Has anyone thought to approach him all friendly like and simply ask how he got their address? Sometimes the direct approach is a lot more effective than whining for days on end.

That's what I was thinking.

JRoberts
06-26-2012, 09:28 PM
I don't think the big question here should be, "Who is Louie?" but how did Louie get our emails. This part of this discussion is what bothers me most. I don't know Louie and am not familiar with his business and like other vendors that I don't know and am not familiar with, I won't use him until I do. I don't like spam anymore than anybody else here and that is what Louie's approach was, thus the initial question. I really do not think that other vendors that have made comments on this thread use that approach and that is something of which I am very glad. These folks are well respected and provide honest services to those who use them. Simply put, we know them Louie too may be just as honest and respected as these folks, but we simply do not know who he is. We do know that he sent a bunch of us spam. So.....who is Louie and how did he get our email addresses?

royvaldez
06-26-2012, 09:31 PM
I think he got our email from the studebaker Roster.

Chris_Dresbach
06-26-2012, 11:20 PM
I didn't get the email. Odd, seems that neither myself or anybody else that I've talked to around here knows who Louie is or even heard of him. I do think it would have been a good idea to introduce himself here before sending emails. I can't say if he is a scam or not, I would like to think that he is legit and has parts for sale. If he is real, great, more power to him; and good for him to keep some extra parts available. Remember though, every business has to start somewhere.

BubbaBear
06-26-2012, 11:45 PM
Well writing him and inviting him to come here and clear up any misunderstanding or confusion only gets an "auto reply."

Thank you for visiting our web site.

We are working part-time on this project, so please be patient if we do not
respond immediately to your email.

This is an automated response, so please do not respond to this email.

Thank you,
Studebakerlouie.com

Skybolt
06-27-2012, 07:42 AM
This guy has been around for a while, how long I don't know. I was searching for parts over the past few years and saw his stuff last year some time. He does not know Studebaker parts very well as he does not know if an engine is a 259 or 289 even when he has the engine number. Not saying he is legit or not just saying he has been selling the same stuff for a while. Also looks like it is exactly the same stuff. Could just be a guy who happened on a shed of Studebaker parts and wants to put them in circulation. I'm surprised no one else has seen this stuff before.

studebaker-R2-4-me
06-27-2012, 08:20 AM
And why is it all you folks are getting ads for Viagra? :o I don't. Hmm. Didn't get one from Studebakerlouie, either. Feelin kinda left out...:(

They get those from looking at PORN, then they complain about finding out about a new source for some old Studebaker parts. Oh the hypocrisy!

I'm pulling for Louie as well, and got his email on a account I don't use for Studebaker stuff. Here's a clue,... If you don't unsolicited email drop them in your junk email box, don't read them and move on. It's like changing the channel on the TV if you don't like sexual innuendos of humor that prevails on American television. Personally, I like American television.

Allen

Bordeaux Daytona
06-27-2012, 09:10 AM
I was once told that if you beat the dead horse long enough, they start to feel bad about dying.
That's a good one!
http://jeffbaij.com/blog/images/deadhorse.gif

doublepaddle
06-27-2012, 11:16 AM
His site has been on the net for at least a year. I have looked at it often and have contacted him thru e-mail a couple of times. He said that he was not selling parts in the winter (snowed in) but was going to start again in the spring. I may have even spoke to him on the phone once. His prices were good and he seamed to be on the level but selling his stuff part time. Thats all I know.

studegary
06-27-2012, 01:20 PM
Jerry, there is a huge difference between posting something on a forum where we all have Studebakers and might be interested in your products or services, and getting an email to a fairly private address.

Think of an email like a phone call, would you want any old club member calling you at home to let you know he has some parts?
It would be different if I had contracted him and "opted in" of future emails letting me know of deals and the like.

I'm not against any Stude vendor...(Lord knows I've given enough of them enough money :) ) but there are better ways to let us know of their services.

I regularly get calls from people, usually not SDC members, trying to sell me Studebakers or Studebaker parts. Over the past year or so I have just directed them to this Forum and said that they should post what they have for sale (give everyone a chance). Only a couple have done this. I know that they are on the Internet because usually they say that is how they got my telephone number. The most recent was a couple of days ago I got a call from a guy selling a supercharger from a 1957 Golden Hawk. I haven't seen him list it here. He semed surprised when I didn't even want to take down his telephone number.

studelark
06-27-2012, 02:07 PM
[QUOTE from glen-

OK.....OK.....OK enough already! So now we may have a lead on "Studebaker Louie" thanks to "Skybolt." We need to stop the "feuding," as of now, and get back to being civil or I will have to bring in the "Polska Policja"
Can we lower the rhetoric back down to DEFCON 3! [/QUOTE]

###################################################################

'NUFF said, Amen! Thanks, glen.

Frank Drumheller
Locust Grove, VA
60-W6
M16-52 1948 Studebaker-Boyer fire truck

Jerry Forrester
06-28-2012, 02:52 PM
I think he got our email from the studebaker Roster.
I think so too. My forr62 email address (as opposed to my JerryForrester address) is in the roster.

studegary
06-28-2012, 03:40 PM
I think so too. My forr62 email address (as opposed to my JerryForrester address) is in the roster.

The SDC Roster does include a statement including; "Copyright...nor may it be used for commercial gain."

BubbaBear
06-28-2012, 04:07 PM
Well there's no way to order any of the parts if you wanted to. The only contact is the once that sends out the automated response I quoted above. Not that I would likely buy from someone with no phone and an email that they don't respond to.

Guido
06-30-2012, 04:55 PM
Wow.....

The only thing missing from this thread is someone claiming it is a government conspiracy. I did not get his e-mail (and I am known to troll the Internet from time to time). Might be because I don't know the right people, don't belong to the right group or simply be that I have hundreds of parts I can't sell and thus am not a good potential customer.

So the guy got your e-mail and sent a message that he had parts.... sounds like a good approach to target your buying audience. If you don't want e-mails, don't have an e-mail account. I wonder if folks felt similarly violated when the first Sears & Roebuck or J.C. Penney catalog appeared in their mailbox?

http://www.arboristsite.com/images/smilies/deadhorse.gif

avantilover
06-30-2012, 05:35 PM
I didn't get the email either, hope the fellow joins the forum soon to clarify his position, then again perhaps Ann and Art can make inquiries since they accepted his advt and thus know his address.

Dick Steinkamp
06-30-2012, 07:19 PM
Guido,
You need several more statements, messages, positions, axes to grind if you want to be #1 in the sig category. ;) For example, how do you feel about broccoli?

Guido
07-01-2012, 09:49 AM
Guido,
You need several more statements, messages, positions, axes to grind if you want to be #1 in the sig category. ;) For example, how do you feel about broccoli?

Broccoli????

Over on the chain saw forum they have taught me about pie (and stuff). Ever tried apple and bacon pie? If not, e-mail me for the recipe and have Deb bake you one.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-EonazxafRmA/T9ZwSe5-ROI/AAAAAAAACaQ/JlawYy8eJHI/s640/bacon_apple_pie_4.jpg

Dick Steinkamp
07-01-2012, 10:10 AM
Ever tried apple and bacon pie? If not, e-mail me for the recipe and have Deb bake you one.

EVERYTHING is better with bacon on it or around it! :!: (the heck with broccoli)

showbizkid
07-01-2012, 10:29 AM
EVERYTHING is better with bacon on it or around it! :!: (the heck with broccoli)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSReSGe200A

jclary
07-01-2012, 10:41 AM
Wow! ...and from our moderator!:D

Not kosher:ohmy:

Guido
07-01-2012, 10:46 AM
Guido,

This better.... http://www.arboristsite.com/images/smilies/hmm3grin2orange.gif

JimC
07-01-2012, 11:22 AM
Priceless Clark. I'll admit, I'm a Rhett & Link fan, and that's brilliant. :)

Deaf Mute
07-01-2012, 10:46 PM
I got mine from a roundabout way.. not from him... YES he has an ad in the July TW.

avantilover
07-03-2012, 02:45 AM
So that's what Clark looks like!!!! LOL.

big jim
07-03-2012, 09:47 AM
DO:NSA: Szef Sekcji.....PANIC!!

studefan
07-03-2012, 04:14 PM
Ok. I can't believe I just sat here and read all 118 posts on this subject. I could have been sanding that little bracket in the garage or something.

BubbaBear
07-03-2012, 11:54 PM
I got mine from a roundabout way.. not from him... YES he has an ad in the July TW.
Does his TW ad have contact info other than his website and a email address that is auto answered telling you he is too busy to reply. So far I haven't seen anyway to actually contact him.

studeclunker
03-12-2015, 02:53 PM
And here we are three years later with no new information. I stumbled across some shots of a '56 pickup he's offering. Well... after sending a message I decided to check out who he is... ah, one of those.:o:oops: What kind of spam will result from this I wonder???:confused:

By the by, loved the bacon video. Especially the robot. Thanks for posting it.

57pack
03-12-2015, 03:25 PM
I didn't get an Email. I feel left out, unloved and unwanted...

Me too.:o
Wonder if anyone has actually purchased anything from Louie?

Guido
03-12-2015, 09:12 PM
Necroposter....

Bacon is still good and Louie is apparently still unknown. On a brighter note, I sold a trailer full of Studebaker parts last year which is probably something Louie didn't do.

dean pearson
03-12-2015, 09:45 PM
Guido,

Now that's funny! Coming from the man that approved all of them.

I recently had broccolinie (baby broccoli) and they are freakin amazing!

Any thoughts on broccolini Mr Guido?

OR am I on the ignore list "yet" ?

Dean.

PS sorry all n good fun.

jclary
03-12-2015, 11:12 PM
Me too.:o
Wonder if anyone has actually purchased anything from Louie?

Well...I used to play the song...Louie Louie Louie...:confused: