PDA

View Full Version : Rarest studebakers

JEWELL
06-24-2012, 09:30 AM
Many years ago I drove a 1954 Kaiser Darrin Roadster. It was rare car then and still very rare now. It got me to thinking, what is/are considered to be the rarest post war Studebaker? Any thoughts?

candbstudebakers
06-24-2012, 09:41 AM
Original 1964 Daytona drop top R-4 (1)built????

SN-60
06-24-2012, 09:53 AM
The factory R-3 Daytona 2dr?

jlmccuan
06-24-2012, 10:15 AM
With 453 Kaiser Darrin Roadsters built, a lot of engine designation Stude models would be rarer, but no post war model designations would be that rare. The '64 Avanti would probably come closest with about double production of the KD. Now, if you want to get into option designations, my '64 GT Hawk is a one of one - only one built with that serial number.

mbstude
06-24-2012, 10:25 AM
'58 Packard Wagons, 159 built.

jlmccuan
06-24-2012, 10:27 AM
Ooops, Matt, I forgot about the "Studebaker II's". lol Might put the Packard Hawk's on that list. Still, however as a model's total production since the KD's production lifespan was one year any Studebaker/Packard nameplate is going to be pushed to compete

bezhawk
06-24-2012, 10:37 AM
Isn't the 57 Scottsman Wagon pretty rare?
Or the 50 Commander Business coupe?

sweetolbob
06-24-2012, 10:46 AM
Pretty hard to build a lower quantity than the 1947 Woodie.

Bob

06-24-2012, 11:02 AM
How about the diesel sedans and wagons in '63? I don't think anyone knows how many were produced, but Torrey Kirby, owner of the '63 two-door diesel said there were two two-doors and ten wagons. There were also taxis with diesels.

SN-60
06-24-2012, 11:03 AM
Talk about rare........How about the '51 Commander Business Coupe? In the same league as the Kaiser front-drive I believe!

Bo Markham
06-24-2012, 11:12 AM
Well now, there is a good question! How about the 65 1/2 ton short wheel base 4X4's built in 1960. How about the 3 door 1 1/2 ton Diesel truck built in 1963 (1 of 1), or the 4 door 1 ton Diesel truck built in 1963 (1 of 1).

SN-60
06-24-2012, 11:59 AM
And how about that 1/1 solid black '55 Speedster with stickshift and factory chrome delete?

Milaca
06-24-2012, 12:17 PM
Disregarding specific options like engine and transimission type and also disregarding trim type, any hardtop and convertible (and pickup) from 1964 is very low production. According to my copy of 'New Complete Book of Collectible Cars 1930-80', only 703 convertibles and 809 Avantis were produced. Anybody know how many Champ pickups were produced that year?

4hawks
06-24-2012, 12:49 PM
One more truck to throw into the mix: 1959 'Scotsman' 4E2D 4X4 1 of 1. Somewhat rare just being a Scotsman pickup... rare rare being the only Scotsman 4E2/122 Studebaker built with the Napco uplift.

mbstude
06-24-2012, 01:12 PM
Well now, there is a good question! ... How about the 4 door 1 ton Diesel truck built in 1963 (1 of 1).

That truck can't be rare. I saw it with my own eyes just a couple of weeks ago.

2moredoors
06-24-2012, 03:24 PM
Pretty hard to build a lower quantity than the 1947 Woodie.

Bob

They built plastic bodied two door wagons at about the same time as the woody. They would be rare.

06-24-2012, 03:38 PM
58 hardtops are supposed to be somewhat rare, but for realativley low production quite a few seem to have survived.

StudeRich
06-24-2012, 04:31 PM
While it is true that some of these Prototypes, one-offs etc. were built, I think we should keep it to what is actually AVAILABLE, and known to be out there today.

If we are just looking for what WAS the rarest, I guess thats OK for a talking point (fun), but completely pointless.

I happen to care about uniqueness, and desirable models, which do not always relate to Rare. So rarity means very little to me.

Many Studes were very low production, compared to the big three, ALL were!

My vote goes to the '57 Golden Hawk 400 with leather seating areas.

scott.rodgers
06-24-2012, 04:55 PM
Packard trucks?

Roscomacaw
06-24-2012, 05:17 PM
My '57 President 2-door is extremely rare today. Only 836 built and A LOT less of a survival rate (not surprizingly) than Packard Hawks - or even 58 Packard wagons, for that matter. When's the last time you saw a 57 Pres F-body at a show, on ebay or even in a junkyard??? Last one "discovered" was some years back - a young gal come to the group with the "old Studebaker" her grandad had given her. It was a 57 Sedanette. She and her project car (which needed oodles of work) just faded away after getting some questions answered here. Probably went to a scrapper.

8E45E
06-24-2012, 06:57 PM
Mentioned extensively here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?11839-Lost-or-Rare-Factory-Studebaker-Stories&highlight=broadmoor

and here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?48669-The-most-rare&highlight=broadmoor

Craig

StudeDave57
06-24-2012, 07:33 PM
Mentioned extensively here:
http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?11839-Lost-or-Rare-Factory-Studebaker-Stories&highlight=broadmoor
and here:
http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?48669-The-most-rare&highlight=broadmoor

Craig
And those are not even the only two threads!!!
I know there are a few others around here somewhere... :ohmy:

All I can say is this- you want rare?
Check my sigline. That'd be a start.
(four of them at least)

Dan White
06-24-2012, 07:38 PM
What about '51 Commander drop tops?

Roscomacaw
06-24-2012, 08:56 PM
I guess we're just supposed to type in any questions in the search engine and forget about having real-time discussxions ever again. Gotta be really inspiring for newbies to the forums. Same with helping out with technical questions or valuation questions. What an accomodating organization. Lessee........... what brick foundry supplied the bricks that the admin building was constructed from? Surely we've batted that around before.

pointer42
06-24-2012, 10:32 PM
The white 1954 Commander convertible ... only one factory "low job" convertible ever built.

billslark
06-24-2012, 10:35 PM
Nelson Bove's 1964 R3 Commander Two Door Sedan, 1 of 1.

Bill

Milaca
06-24-2012, 10:39 PM
I guess we're just supposed to type in any questions in the search engine and forget about having real-time discussxions ever again. Gotta be really inspiring for newbies to the forums. Same with helping out with technical questions or valuation questions. What an accomodating organization. Lessee........... what brick foundry supplied the bricks that the admin building was constructed from? Surely we've batted that around before.

I agree with you Bob. It's good to point people to the search feature but it's good to have repeat questions asked also as it brings in new responses. If people don't post topics, we would have nothing to converse about.

Chris_Dresbach
06-24-2012, 11:17 PM
Post war 'eh?
How about the 9 original R3 Avantis?
1958 Scotsman TRUCKS. (I think I know of about 4 still in existance)
Model N (5 built)
1963 Turtle (three designs made. I only know of one left in existance)
1953 Commander w/ sunroof and other weird stuff done to it. (1 of 1)
'51 Convertibles
ANY business coupe
Transtar 4X4 (USN edition)
Factory built tugs (banny) I think 12 were built for use in the plant, I know of 1 still existing.
Authentic '55 Speedster
Korean War M-34 and M-35 6X6s.

8E45E
06-24-2012, 11:18 PM
I guess we're just supposed to type in any questions in the search engine and forget about having real-time discussxions ever again. Gotta be really inspiring for newbies to the forums.

For one, it saves a newbie the wait for responses, (today, we call that 'instant gratification') and two, a particular vehicle may get overlooked the second (or third or more) time around. Not to mention, the older threads are not locked and can be added to/updated at any given time should a new discovery be found.

Craig

StudeDave57
06-25-2012, 12:05 AM
I guess I wasn't clear enough. Bummer 'bout that. :rolleyes:

My comment was a hint to do what Craig (later) suggested and do a search for older threads. One more reason to read those old threads he posted and to look for other older threads would be that many folks who were active then are not now. Some of those folks had valuable input/insight on the topic at hand.
just sayin' ;)

StudeDave '57 :cool:

bob40
06-25-2012, 02:08 AM
One that doesnt mark it's territory? (Someone had to mention it)

JEWELL
06-25-2012, 06:52 AM
Yes I am a newbie, but I have chased old cars since I was 16 years old. Now when I spot a Stude in a field or barn or on a small Texas car lot ,(thanks to all of you), I will have a list of cars and trucks in mind that are harder to find than others, who really knows what is out there. I am allways looking but sometimes I don't know what I am looking at. Maybe now I will.

Once again, Thanks to all.

06-25-2012, 07:55 AM
I am certainly not offended by new posts on old subjects that could have been searched. I always try a search first, but as I must be particularly dumb, I have VERY little luck with the search function.

qsanford
06-25-2012, 08:07 AM
I think the 1961 Lark VI Regal four door station wagon had fairly low production as well.

8E45E
06-25-2012, 08:31 AM
I am certainly not offended by new posts on old subjects that could have been searched. I always try a search first, but as I must be particularly dumb, I have VERY little luck with the search function.

Besides saving the person inquiring some waiting time, it also saves myself and other posters to previous thread(s) on the subject time as well from having to repost their excellent information (BP's comment on Nelson Bove's car comes to mind). As well, it saves space on the host's server, which will ultimately result in lower operating costs to maintain this website.

Craig

Son O Lark
06-25-2012, 10:55 AM
And how about that 1/1 solid black '55 Speedster with stickshift and factory chrome delete? Is this car still around? Anyone have any pictures? Sounds like it might be very cool looking.

Bo Markham
06-25-2012, 12:42 PM
While it is true that some of these Prototypes, one-offs etc. were built, I think we should keep it to what is actually AVAILABLE, and known to be out there today.

If we are just looking for what WAS the rarest, I guess thats OK for a talking point (fun), but completely pointless.

I happen to care about uniqueness, and desirable models, which do not always relate to Rare. So rarity means very little to me.

Many Studes were very low production, compared to the big three, ALL were!

My vote goes to the '57 Golden Hawk 400 with leather seating areas.

All the ones I mentioned are out there. Some are available and some aren't forsale, but they do exist. They are very unique, desirable and rare.

How about that 1961 Hawk with the factory installed rumble seat. Cool, and it still exists. I've only seen one of the 1957 Golden Hawk 400's. Amazing sense of styling. I think that's why I love the Packard Hawk so much. That same sense of styling is present, like no other model for 1958 with the possible exception of the 1958 President Hardtop.

Bo

Roscomacaw
06-25-2012, 12:46 PM
Besides saving the person inquiring some waiting time, it also saves myself and other posters to previous thread(s) on the subject time as well from having to repost their excellent information (BP's comment on Nelson Bove's car comes to mind). As well, it saves space on the host's server, which will ultimately result in lower operating costs to maintain this website.

Craig

Yeah, there's nothing like some pre-recorded message to inspire a sense of community, eh? If you're tired of responding, there's no rule that says you have to. If these forums are primarily aimed at generatrring interest for those of us that have been Stude nuts for eons, why would a newbie get excited about having old threads thrown their way? I get bored with some things too. But when someone comes to me with fresh enthusiasm, I generally find enough interest to help them with theirs. I guess since I still marvel at having the internet as an information resource, I need to remind others where to go look instead of putting up a facade of interest in what they're asking.
These forums do have great technical referece value, but I've also thought from the beginning (and I was one of the FIRST to hang out here - anyone remember???) that they should foster a sense of community and camaraderi, and not just develop into one giant shop manual.

64V19816
06-25-2012, 12:56 PM
I don't think you could gather together more than a few dozen 1966 Daytona Sport Sedans.

JoeHall
06-25-2012, 01:10 PM
Besides saving the person inquiring some waiting time, it also saves myself and other posters to previous thread(s) on the subject time as well from having to repost their excellent information (BP's comment on Nelson Bove's car comes to mind). As well, it saves space on the host's server, which will ultimately result in lower operating costs to maintain this website. Craig

As someone noted thousands of years ago, there isn't much new under the sun. That is also true here, in that there is hardly anything a person could come up with that is not in the archives of this NG somewhere. However, if we just become one big archive, we lose all the socialization involved in kicking tires, telling lies, etc. Kinda like a virtual SDC meet. If you are tired of the socialization, or primarily interested in saving "time", that is not necessarily true for everyone else here. Some of us like spending spare time here, like right now, I am in between jobs at work (and I work for myself).

8E45E
06-25-2012, 01:32 PM
Yeah, there's nothing like some pre-recorded message to inspire a sense of community, eh? If you're tired of responding, there's no rule that says you have to. If these forums are primarily aimed at generatrring interest for those of us that have been Stude nuts for eons, why would a newbie get excited about having old threads thrown their way? I get bored with some things too. But when someone comes to me with fresh enthusiasm, I generally find enough interest to help them with theirs. I guess since I still marvel at having the internet as an information resource, I need to remind others where to go look instead of putting up a facade of interest in what they're asking.
These forums do have great technical referece value, but I've also thought from the beginning (and I was one of the FIRST to hang out here - anyone remember???) that they should foster a sense of community and camaraderi, and not just develop into one giant shop manual.Roscoemacaw

As someone noted thousands of years ago, there isn't much new under the sun. That is also true here, in that there is hardly anything a person could come up with that is not in the archives of this NG somewhere. However, if we just become one big archive, we lose all the socialization involved in kicking tires, telling lies, etc. Kinda like a virtual SDC meet. If you are tired of the socialization, or primarily interested in saving "time", that is not necessarily true for everyone else here. Some of us like spending spare time here, like right now, I am in between jobs at work (and I work for myself).

I will hardly fault anyone for sociaizing in anyway on the Forum, but one should never neglect this huge resource library that we have built up over the years here. Through many like you, Bob; BP, Richard Quinn, StudeRich, Gary Lindstrom, Frank Drumheller, Paul Johnson, Avantidon, Gord Richmond and several others have contributed fantastic amounts of valuable information, and have gone beyond what can be considered normal in assisting someone with a research and/or technical question by posting personal experiences, photos, ancient articles, etc. There is absolutely NO reason mention should not be made of these contributions when someone new or old makes an inquiry about something which is a 'repeat' from before. Remember, there are a few others such as Leonard Shepherd who can no long post here, unfortunately, but his contributions are still well worth mentioning.

Craig

Bo Markham
06-25-2012, 03:33 PM
Yep! With this tropical storm parked in the front yard, I'm spending some quality time here. Even old post surfing turns up interesting tidbits, much like re-reading old TW's from time to time. Nothing like turning an old page and finding something that you either missed, or forgot and inturn having it spark something new and interesting to be brought up and freely discussed.

SN-60
06-25-2012, 03:57 PM
WRONG!.....No 1961 Hawks left the factory with a rumble seat installed, but there was at least one customized in that fashion by an independent body shop.

paintim613
06-25-2012, 05:11 PM
Since responses to the original question have been all over the place, would a custom from the mid 50's qualify? I didn't think so, but having one of one is great fun for discussion even if it isn't factory built. Maybe an interesting future thread would be one asking about Stude customs that have survived at least, say, since 1963. Of course, hard core purists may not be interested.

pdrnec
06-25-2012, 05:37 PM
1961 Frua Larks - 3 built, 2 survive.

Roscomacaw
06-25-2012, 05:42 PM
I was just thinking of those, Pat. And while it's true that they're prototypes, they shouldn't be counted out here. How about the two prototypes that BarnLark found and rescued?

studelark
06-25-2012, 08:11 PM
One more truck to throw into the mix: 1959 'Scotsman' 4E2D 4X4 1 of 1. Somewhat rare just being a Scotsman pickup... rare rare being the only Scotsman 4E2-122 Studebaker built with the Napco uplift.

Don't forget the one (1) 1959 'Scotsman' 4E2-112 4X4 piclup built. Speaking of models (not some combination of equipment, paint, or type of engine), these two trucks stand alone in their individual RARITY. A black Speedster- how rare is one Speedster. Give me a break!!!! These two truck models were factory catalogued models, no 'black' Speedster was a factory catalogued model.

Frank Drumheller
Locust Grove, VA
60S-W6
M16-52 Studebaker-Boyer 1948 fire truck

SN-60
06-25-2012, 08:56 PM
To: studelark,----- Point take on that '59 4X4, but that all black/dechromed '55 Speedster would no doubt be considered rare because it was factory built and WASN'T in the catalogue.

StudeMichael
06-25-2012, 10:03 PM

I agree! The problem with the search engine is if you type in "Studebaker Avanti Dashboard installation" for example you will not get posts specific to installing an Avanti dash. You will get random posts that have nothing to do with what you are searching.

StudeMichael
06-25-2012, 10:03 PM
1961 Frua Larks - 3 built, 2 survive.

Those were prototypes.

8E45E
06-25-2012, 10:11 PM

Don't forget the one (1) 1959 'Scotsman' 4E2-112 4X4 piclup built. Speaking of models (not some combination of equipment, paint, or type of engine), these two trucks stand alone in their individual RARITY. A black Speedster- how rare is one Speedster. Give me a break!!!! These two truck models were factory catalogued models, no 'black' Speedster was a factory catalogued model.

Was there only one? For some reason, I thought there was a total of four Scotsman trucks from '59 that were four wheel drive.

Craig

K-Hawk
06-25-2012, 11:00 PM
With out a doubt, a daytona with the sky top, . I have only seen them in old turning wheels and on the internet after that, a very cool looking ca.r how many sky tops are out there.

SN-60
06-25-2012, 11:08 PM
To K-Hawk,----Very few, but I know that a very nice one went to OZ recently!

K-Hawk
06-25-2012, 11:13 PM
How about the acme driver education car with 2 steering wheels. 1954 champion 1989 December Turning wheels

K-Hawk
06-25-2012, 11:18 PM
Perhaps OZ will post a few pictures

billslark
06-25-2012, 11:47 PM
I don't think you could gather together more than a few dozen 1966 Daytona Sport Sedans.

I've got one, and if the frame wasn't broke I would put it back on the road.

Bill

StudeRich
06-25-2012, 11:57 PM
Was there only one? For some reason, I thought there was a total of four Scotsman trucks from '59 that were four wheel drive.Craig

Could the other Two be 122 in. W/B with no NAPCO lift, Craig?

4hawks
06-26-2012, 04:25 PM
Actually there was a total of 15 Scotsman Napco 4X4 built by Studebaker in 1959.
9 of them were 4E3D 112" WB, 245 six; all 9 fitted with the P1 Bed.
(4) 4E3D 122" WB, 245 six. Only 2 were fitted with P1 Bed.
(1) 4E2D 112" WB 259 V-8 / P1 Bed, which was exported somewhere ???
(1) 4E2D 122" WB 259 V-8 P1 Bed.

Many many thanks to Frank D for compiling all the information available in the Studebaker 4X4 registry. and for all the hours it takes to keep it current.

drew72mgb
06-27-2012, 11:11 AM
To K-Hawk,----Very few, but I know that a very nice one went to OZ recently!

THAT very nice one - was the ONE I grew up with!

Drew

studelark
06-27-2012, 07:58 PM
[QUOTE=SN-60- "that all black/dechromed '55 Speedster would no doubt be considered rare because it was factory built and WASN'T in the catalogue.[/QUOTE]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

SN-60; I used the word 'catalogued' as the term used by the car manufacturers to designate the various models in the company's lineup. All car factories 'catalogued' their vehicles with model codes and serial numbers for specific purposes- manufacturing controls, sales, parts catalogs, shop manuals, showroom literature, sales, purchase orders, memos, etc.

For instance, the 'cataloged' body code for ALL 2200 plus Speedsters built was 6H-K7. All Speedsters were basically the same vehicle. As with all models from all manufacturers, colors, fabrics, decor, chrome, mechanicals were applied to basic cars to create individualities so they wouldn't look as all Coke cans look. Just because one is a different color doesn't make it a "rare" car.

All 1955 Speedsters were catalogued model 6H-K7s, so how could any Speedster be RARE when there were over 2200 of them produced?

No wonder the word "rare" has lost all meaning in the hobby. One man's opinion.

Frank Drumheller
Locust Grove, VA
60S-W6
M16-52 1948 Studebaker-Boyer fire truck

SN-60
06-27-2012, 08:32 PM
To: studelark,---- Your making this too complicated...and that is leading to Your confusion! 'RARE' means uncommon (to Me anyway). For years no one, even the 'experts', realized that Studebaker built the Speedster
in a solid color. Many articles were written about this model describing the different multi-color combos that were available, and always stating in the article that Speedsters never left the factory in a solid color.
Well, now We have a Speedster that indeed was produced this way, and with CHROME DELETE?? That's rarity Frank, in ANY serious collectors book! (And don't forget the stick o/d)

bezhawk
06-27-2012, 08:58 PM
My father told me he saw a black Packard Hawk around 59-60 at a Stude dealer, with black leather interior. I have heard of the all white, but was black ever made?

SN-60
06-27-2012, 09:06 PM
There was an article in TW a few years back that did mention that at least one black Packard Hawk
was produced...a rare baby!! (To most folks anyway!)

clonelark
06-27-2012, 09:22 PM
All i know is the guy that got the 1 V-8 51 Business coupe in 1951 probably had the baddest car in town, and i'm sure he gave many an Oldsmobile fits. Not to mention all the flathead Fords.

DieselJim
06-27-2012, 09:41 PM
55 3E11 step van.

rockne10
06-27-2012, 09:56 PM
That's rarity Frank, in ANY serious collectors book!I hear your point, Ed. I know a fellow who's brother bought a Corvette and he's fond of it's rarity because it (according to him) was the only Marina Blue model that year that had factory headrests.
Seriously...just taking an opportunity to pick on Corvette owners.:lol:

SN-60
06-27-2012, 10:11 PM
To: rockne 10,----Good one! How about this....I owned a '69 Avanti II that came from the factory with high-back (driver's side) and lowback ('63-'64 Avanti type) bucket seats! Odd!! I had to replace
them. The Avanti is long gone, but I still have those crazy seats!

8E45E
06-27-2012, 10:56 PM
I hear your point, Ed. I know a fellow who's brother bought a Corvette and he's fond of it's rarity because it (according to him) was the only Marina Blue model that year that had factory headrests.

I wouldn't doubt many in SDC have a "1 of 1" car made once it gets broken down to indivual models in certain colors and options. Many do remember the time one really could option a car 'my way' which would have produced numerous one-offs in a given year; unlike now where all the extras are sold as an option package that are limited to 3 or 4 choices.

Craig

SN-60
06-28-2012, 06:31 PM
To: 8E45E,-----I agree. Well said!

64V19816
06-28-2012, 09:43 PM
So whats the kaiser darrin like??? Love them!

SN-60
06-28-2012, 10:57 PM
To: 64V19816,-----The Kaiser Darrin is a cool little sportscar.....but to Me, I can't understand the $$$$ they're trading for these days. Unjustified. (In My opinion)

JimC
06-28-2012, 11:05 PM
Isn't the rarest Studebaker the one with no rust? :D

SN-60
06-28-2012, 11:11 PM
The one with no rust is just slightly more common than the one with no leaks!

cultural infidel
06-29-2012, 12:40 AM
There is a lot of mention to what is rare... but does anyone have pictures of these vehicles?

StudeDave57
06-29-2012, 01:00 AM
There is a lot of mention to what is rare... but does anyone have pictures of these vehicles?
For some of these rides- there most certainly are pictures, yes.
First you'll have to identify which one so we know what to post.
Some of the rides even have threads of their own!!! ;) :!:
(but again- we'd need to know which ride you wanna learn about)

StudeDave '57 :cool:

cruiser
06-29-2012, 02:59 AM
I had the thought that one of the most "rare" Studebakers that I knew of

was the Prototype 1957 Packard Hawk which was rejected by Roy

Hurley , but which was For Sale in the June 2012 Turning Wheels on

page 51 at the unbelievably low price of $15,000 . I mean this car is a

one off Factory Prototype and has apparently been with the same owner

since 1979 . Maybe the owner didn't even know what he had because it

is incorrectly called a 1961 Designer Proposal J/K body . Whoever has

snapped up the rare car got a 'bargain' even if it needs a full restoration . !!

It was slated for production as the 1958 Packard Hawk but did not get

the go ahead . In many ways to me , it looks like the Hawk that should

have been built . It has the unique front end , "J" roof panel and '56

style fins . Also note the triple cut-outs in the front guards . Great Car !!

For a better picture of the car , see Automobile Quarterly , Volume 12 No.

Third Quarter 1974 Page 321 for those of you that have this olde issue !!

CRUISER

JEWELL
06-29-2012, 06:48 AM
I got to drive the Kaiser on the freeway here in Houston at speeds from 50 to 60 mph. The car drove great and had good power. The only thing I did not like was the sound of the car on the road. It was like going down the road in a Solo Cup, not red but yellow (cream colored). The car had not been restorded so all in all a nice original car. I drove it to an auction here in town in the 1970's and I don't think we brought it back. I wonder who has the car now? Strange thing is several years later I saw a red Darrin in Dawson Texas parked in front of an old building. Dawson is not a place you would expect to see a car like that. Anyway at the prices these cars are selling for now, something tells me I have driven my last Darrin.

jbwhttail
06-29-2012, 03:28 PM
How about the two trucks built as an R2 at the factory? one still exists.

SN-60
06-29-2012, 05:42 PM
To: cultural infidel,------ That's a big 10-4 on the '55 Speedster!

64 Challenger
06-29-2012, 06:05 PM
Bob Palma had these numbers on another thread when the number of Challengers built arose:

Challenger Six:
2-door: 2,122
4-door: 2,546
Wagon: 453

Challenger V-8:
2-door: 274:eek:
4-door: 594
Wagon: 286

Mine unfortunately is part of the 2-door six count(by the Vin), but as it was said-how many still have their sixes-a lot of V-8 conversions have been done-including mine.

Guido
06-29-2012, 09:30 PM
The term "rare" is subjective. What is considered rare by one person may not be considered rare by another. Time can also change perspective, Henry Ford produced over 15,000,000 of them but it is "rare" to see one today.

I have a number of horse drawn Studebakers, they were produced in vast quantities over the years and were certainly not rare when in service. Given that almost 100 years has elapsed since the last one was produced, most are rare today .

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o175/guidosalvage/1904buggy040.jpg

Bo Markham
06-30-2012, 10:28 AM
WRONG!.....No 1961 Hawks left the factory with a rumble seat installed, but there was at least one customized in that fashion by an independent body shop.

Hey SNORE-60,

Good thing you have such a sharp memory, perhaps you could find out what issue of TW discussed the car. I'd like to re-read the article about it and I just can't for the life of me remember in which one I read about it in? I would really appreciate your help with this.

Thanks, Bo (re)

Bo Markham
06-30-2012, 10:44 AM

There is a video clip some where on U-Tube of the 1 ton 4 door Diesel Truck. Matthew Burnette did the video and posted it some time ago. David Walker has the 3 door 1 1/2 ton Diesel Truck.

mbstude
06-30-2012, 11:01 AM
There is a video clip some where on U-Tube of the 1 ton 4 door Diesel Truck. Matthew Burnette did the video and posted it some time ago. David Walker has the 3 door 1 1/2 ton Diesel Truck.

Coolest Stude truck around. http://www.network54.com/Forum/23885/message/1260150923/Bo's+crew+cab+Diesel

I've seen it in person a few times and Bo even let me start it up once. Probably a good thing I can't afford it.

SN-60
06-30-2012, 02:45 PM
To: bomarkham,------ No problem! I'll try to find the copy of TW that covered this, and will post it for You if I indeed do find it! Your Welcome!!

Bo Markham
06-30-2012, 03:09 PM
To: bomarkham,------ No problem! I'll try to find the copy of TW that covered this, and will post it for You if I indeed do find it! Your Welcome!!

Hey SN-60,

Your a good fella. Thanks, Bo

52hawk
06-30-2012, 04:22 PM
There were 2 61 Hawks,and 2 61 Larks with rumble seats. They were built by a body shop in Illinois. The story about them was in the June 1989 TW.

SN-60
06-30-2012, 05:06 PM
To: 52hawk,------- Thank You for posting this info!