Delrin Bushings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: Delrin Bushings

The GT I recently picked up for the wife has Delrins in the both top & bottom 'A' arms. After reading the archives here, it looks like they will be coming out and replaced by OEM, rubber ones. I had already planned to replace the tired OEM front springs with the modern, progressive rate, MOOG springs. That will be a good time to replace the bushings too, before we ever even put the car on the road.

To: Joe Hall,----I understand the negatives concerning You with the Delrins....but since they're already in place, I wouldn't be too emphatic about removing them....just keep Your eye on things.

Comment

I ran them for over ten years....you cant do that with rubber. Especially the upper inners, the A-arms are so short, that the rubber twists an extreme amount. I have never seen them hold up more than three years with daily driving.
      Many people put too stiff a shock absorber in a feeble attempt to mask worn springs and rubber sway bar bushings. This gives delrin bushings a bad name. They say I'm going to make it handle, and install stiff springs (or chop a coil or two off the springs) . All they succeed in doing is destroying the ride quality.
      The softest springs that maintain the ride height should be the mantra of anyone wanting an enjoyable driving experience. If you want the car to handle well, install better anti sway bars instead. This is the same formula every on and off road racers use.
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Example pictured below..... Delrin bushings, upper and lower, dual front sway bars mounted with urethane bushings, Cadillac Fleetwood front springs cut to correct height, short steering arms, Gabriel Adjust-O-Matic shocks on all four corners set on extra firm. Extra leaf in rear springs. 15X8 inch wide custom made wheels, 225X15 inch HR rated Goodyear Eagle GT tires, (long since too old to race...saving $ for a new set). This setup has worked well...no complaints, and no "red X's" through tech inspection.

Dan Miller
        Auburn, GA

Comment

Originally posted by ROADRACELARK View Post
          Example pictured below..... Delrin bushings, upper and lower, dual front sway bars mounted with urethane bushings, Cadillac Fleetwood front springs cut to correct height, short steering arms, Gabriel Adjust-O-Matic shocks on all four corners set on extra firm. Extra leaf in rear springs. 15X8 inch wide custom made wheels, 225X15 inch HR rated Goodyear Eagle GT tires, (long since too old to race...saving $ for a new set). This setup has worked well...no complaints, and no "red X's" through tech inspection.

Dan Miller
          Auburn, GA
          Dan, I'm sure your car handles well, however I wouldn't want my car set up so I could tell the date of a dime if I ran over one!
          Herb Adams didn't set up his chasis so the suspension didn't move. Control the roll, let the wheels go up and down.

We're talking apples and oranges here, for a driver GT Hawk, and for good longevity, Delrin works very well.
          Joe, if you think it will ride better, and be easier on the frame, why not just replace the lower bushings with rubber?
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948

Comment

Bez, I agree with you 100%....this thing is like a buck board wagon on the street, and you're correct about Herb Adams, Fonty Flock, and on and on, "back-in-the-day". I was just making the example on the opposite end of the scale. I wouldn't dare recommend that someone set up their car for street use this way. Sorry for any confusion.

Dan Miller
            Auburn, GA

Comment

Delrin is certainly better than rubber which has ripped and beginning the hammering away until gone. Most owners never look at bushing conditions (especially if they or the PO just replaced them 3 years ago) until they are so beaten up they are almost impossible to replace. Since tire sidewalls absorb almost 80% of all shock being transmitted to the occupants, I prefer Delrin in the control points and a GREAT set of tires and shocks.
              Jim
              Often in error, never in doubt
              http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

When I just rebuilt the front end of my 63 Avanti, I used the Moog progressive springs, new shocks from Dave T-Bow, and the Derlin Bushings, along with the bigger Avanti sway bar and urethane bushings on that. Of course, since everything was rebuilt or replaced, the difference in ride and steering is much better. Next one will also get the Derlin bushings.

Jim
                "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                their Memorials!

Comment

One more point to ponder... The original frame and control arms came about as a total design with all steel bushings in front. When they went to rubber in 53, there was NO redesign of the suspension components, just smoothing of the threaded holes were the steel bushings used to reside. The thinking was to keep up with the softer ride of the competition, reduce required greasing/service points. The estimated service life of the new car was 3-5 years, and this gave adequate service and at that time was 'good enough'.
                  As cars got bigger and heavier, they wore out faster. The average big three behemouths were completely wore out at 80,000 miles. People didn't drive nearly as much back then either.
                  This is where Studebaker could strut its' stuff, they were lighter, and would last much longer if serviced according to schedule.
                  The worst offenders sidelining Studebakers is/was rust, and front end slop.
                  Bez Auto Alchemy
                  573-318-8948

Comment

That's right! I forgot that my 52 Commander has R-3 prototype suspension on it!!! <G>

Jim
                    "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                    their Memorials!

Comment

Working...
                    X