Stude affliction for a 61

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stude affliction for a 61

I must have some kinda Studebaker affliction as I really need another project to take my time and money.
    I can't sleep after checking on a 61 Lark, 4 door, OHV 6 cylinder, 3 spd OD AZ beauty (well sorta) with 88,000 miles on the odometer. The body is solid very little rust, good glass but the engine had no cover over the fuel pump opening w/oil everywhere was ran with an electric fuel pump this way for who knows how long. Wiring need lotsa help, hanging shredded headliner, no carb with intake full of crud, tail lights gone but good tires all this for $500 was $750.
    I really need to put $500 towards our 62 GT or maybe the 40 Champion a real no brainer but no I get outta bed at 2:30 am with this not very sought after car rolling around in my head trying to decide to jump on it or not. I just hate to see this jewel end up in the scrap pile cuz the kid didn't get his asking price. I feel somehow responsible and guilty if this happens to such a ugly duckling. Kinda like rescuing a dog from the pound. Am I the only Joe that has such an affection for these old junkers. I almost feel like these cars have a soul that needs a little love and affection to be whole again. Maybe I'll offer $300 just to keep her outta the boneyard. The kids house has been sold so it has to go. Welp its after 3am time to make coffee. Thanks for letting me vent.

I have this same affliction. I say go for it.
    1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Not a car i'd lose much sleep over, but Hey if it's calling you, go get it.
      101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Hey, I understand your pain. I have both a 61 Hawk and a 61 Lark 2 door OHV 6 with std trans. A very good friend bought the 61 Lark new and gave it to me before he passed away. It has 39xxx on it and is fun to drive. My wife and daughters do not like the looks of the car and always are throwing out comments around selling it when I complain I am out of storage space. While it may not be the most desirable car, I enjoy driving it as much as I do the hawk and avanti.
        Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
        1961 Hawk 4-speed
        1967 Avanti
        1961 Lark 2 door
        1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Whatever floats your boat!
          1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Save your money and go back to bed, when you wake up you will feel better about the mistake you didn't make.
            Candbstudebakers
            Castro Valley,
            California

Comment

Bob,why would it be a mistake ???
              Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
              Save your money and go back to bed, when you wake up you will feel better about the mistake you didn't make.
              Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

If you have a limited amount of funds and some projects that need work, the next car or truck is just a distraction. I have been down that road several times. I am now trying to make myself wait for the ONE project that I can commit to until its done.
                "In the heart of Arkansas."
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
                  Bob,why would it be a mistake ???
                  I am not Bob, but I have to agree with him. Do I have to say it?

"A '61 Lark VI 4 Door? Did I mention it's a SIX!"

Now if it were a '61 Cruiser with the 259 V-8, cool rounded and taller than 1960 rear glass, rounded doors, rounded rear windows and long wheelbase, that would be a different story.
                  Some even have the optional 289. The FIRST available to the Public Larks to have them!

If by chance you happen to have a '61 Lark 4 Dr. VI or VIII needing parts, that would be a good buy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Green White Regal 4Dr2.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	1674648
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	White Cruiser SB IN 2.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	1674649
                  Last edited by StudeRich; 06-23-2012, 11:09 AM.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

if you must: bring a dolly or trailer with $350. in $100's and a $50 bill....drive home with it or a great lunch...

Comment

You did mention it's a six when you did this," VI 4 DOOR ?" a Cruiser is still a 4 door,so how does the 259 solve that major problem ?so I guess the thing to do is,scrap all the six cyl. 4 door cars and everyone can fight over the cars that would still exist eh !!!
                      Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                      I am not Bob, but I have to agree with him. Do I have to say it?

"A '61 Lark VI 4 Door? Did I mention it's a SIX!"

Now if it were a '61 Cruiser with the 259 V-8, cool rounded and taller than 1960 rear glass, rounded doors, rounded rear windows and long wheelbase, that would be a different story.
                      Some even have the optional 289. The FIRST available to the Public Larks to have them!

If by chance you happen to have a '61 Lark 4 Dr. VI or VIII needing parts, that would be a good buy.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15964[/ATTACH]
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]15965[/ATTACH]
                      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I've got a back lot full of those kind of deals that i'am trying to get rid of now so I can pick up the 64 gt that I really want. Had them on craigs list and it looks like no one whats to save them but me. Their not studebakers but they may just end up in the crusher with the price of scrap.

Comment

What's not to like? 1961 Larks were fairly sophisticated versus their '59 and '60 cousins. They were also the last of the Larks to retain the original "Lark look". The OHV 6 with OD would make for a fairly economical runabout, too. Does it have the dual or quad headlights? Good Luck!

Comment

I like 1961 Larks, but I would not save the described car. If it was a Regal VIII sedan or Skytop hardtop VIII, like I have owned, it would be a different story.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                              I laughed out loud. Studeluvr China stopped buying our scrap if that's consolation in any way. I have to agree. I would say give it to the next weekend. Then see how you feel about it, and no you're not alone. I this one has had a grip on me to a varying degree for a month now. I have the parts to fix. http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/3019323422.html. Wash down some ambien with a few beers. Grin
                              Last edited by David; 02-12-2013, 12:33 AM.
                              sigpic
                              '89 Ford Festiva
                              '90 Ford F250 4x4
                              '18 Kia Soul
                              '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
                              '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

Working...
                              X