Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

55 Packard Clipper Custom, spotted in Mtn. Home AR, NICE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 55 Packard Clipper Custom, spotted in Mtn. Home AR, NICE!

This car has been parked at the same muffler shop for about a week now. I finally just had to stop and get a picture. I have no idea who owns it, it's never shown up at any of the local car shows that I've been to and I haven't seen it on the street before. I'd say on a 1-10 it's a solid 7, a really nice driver! It's black and white inside and out. Any one recognize this car?

Dick
    Mountain Home, AR
    http://www.livingintheozarks.com/studebaker2.htm

It's a 1956, Dick.

Ironically, it appears to be the very same make, model, and color as in this topic earlier today...yet it's the rarest 1956 Clipper!

Amazing:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c....-Monkey-Candy-.

'Sure is pretty. I could look at 2 or 3 of them all day, every day. Thanks. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Would`nt it be something if it was the same car . You better chat with the owner . The pic i posted was taken in St. Petersburg , Florida - - 1967
      Last edited by aarrggh; 06-23-2012, 12:53 PM.

Comment

I think this is the same Packard I saw in a shop in Mountain Home, AR several months ago. It is a nice one.
        If it is the same car the chrome words Packard or Clipper on the fenders were made out of a plastic material and not chrome.
        I wish I'd taken a picture of the detail.
        Gary Sanders
        Nixa, MO

Comment

Originally posted by aarrggh View Post
          Wouldn't it be something if it was the same car? You better chat with the owner. The pic I posted was taken in St. Petersburg, Florida; 1967.
          Stranger things have happened for sure, Andrew.

Two factors:

1. Was your photo with the monkey taken in color or B&W? The subject car in this thread's photo is in color, and the car is clearly Corsican Black and Dover White. If your "monkey" photo was orginally B&W, the car might have been dark blue or another color that appears black in a B&W photo.

2. 1956 Clipper Customs, both hardtop and sedan, had a full-length, stainless-steel rocker panel molding.

If you look closely in this thread's OP, you can see that molding along the rocker panel, as it should be.

However, the car in your 1967 photo does not appear to have a rocker panel molding, although the photo might have such poor contrast that it washed out. You might take a closer look at that original "monkey" photo, looking for a rocker panel molding.

Those moldings were frequently knocked off or not replaced when a rusty car was patched up for resale, so it is not unusual to see a 1956 Clipper Custom missing its rocker panel moldings.

But they all should have one, and did when new. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

My father was a Packard dealer in '56. SP, wanting to be known as a "full line producer", tried to promote the Clipper as a separate make in '56 (in the DeSoto, Olds, Buick class). That this didn't work is confirmed by the fact that late production Clippers added a small "Packard" script on the lower right decklid. Another late production desperation move was the Packard Executive, which was essentially a Clipper Custom with different side trim and the senior Packard (Patrician, Four Hundred, Caribbean) front end. Neighborhood kids used to like to sit on the back bumper of our Clipper Custom demonstrator and experience it leveling itself.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
              It's a 1956, Dick.

Ironically, it appears to be the very same make, model, and color as in this topic earlier today...yet it's the rarest 1956 Clipper!

Amazing:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c....-Monkey-Candy-.

'Sure is pretty. I could look at 2 or 3 of them all day, every day. Thanks. BP
              There is a sad and lonely '55 Clipper Custom and two '56 Clipper Customs, equally sad and lonely, still sitting in the Kirby yard. I'm afraid they don't have long to live.
              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Paul, if there would be any serious interest (as in paid for, but can't pick up for a while) in any of the remaining cars,let me know because I just happen to know of an impound lot that they can be stored in and I can probably arrange transportation.

Comment

Originally posted by 31Streetrod View Post
                  Paul, if there would be any serious interest (as in paid for, but can't pick up for a while) in any of the remaining cars,let me know because I just happen to know of an impound lot that they can be stored in and I can probably arrange transportation.
                  Thanks Ron. I may have exactky that requirement. I'll let you know. That service would be very useful.
                  Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                  '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Working...
                  X