Studebaker-Porsche

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker-Porsche

Anyone see the article in Hemmings Sports and Exotic, August 2007 issue, about the Studebaker-Porsche small 4 door prototype/agreement they worked on in 1952-1953? The article is on pages 58-62. I am not a subscriber, a friend gave me the article. Very interesting to say the least.

Chris Kot
    '63 GT Hawk
    '37 Dictator Rod Project

quote:Originally posted by CKOT

Anyone see the article in Hemmings Sports and Exotic, August 2007 issue, about the Studebaker-Porsche small 4 door prototype/agreement they worked on in 1952-1953? The article is on pages 58-62. I am not a subscriber, a friend gave me the article. Very interesting to say the least.
    Yep, it was in the R. Langworth book, "Studebaker: The Postwar Years". It is an interesting piece of Studebaker history.

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by CKOT

Yep, it was in the R. Langworth book, "Studebaker: The Postwar Years". It is an interesting piece of Studebaker history.

Craig

Comment

Chris, too bad you're not closer to CA. There's a '37 Dictator rod project in a tow yard near me that could probably be had for cheap! Seems to be a GREAT body on it. It has a GM front clip IIRC - set up for the ubiquitous SBC "upgrade".[}]

Miscreant adrift in
        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Chris, too bad you're not closer to CA. There's a '37 Dictator rod project in a tow yard near me that could probably be had for cheap! Seems to be a GREAT body on it. It has a GM front clip IIRC - set up for the ubiquitous SBC "upgrade".[}]

Miscreant adrift in
          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

CA way too far for me! Keep a look out you never know though. Mine is definitely a "project" and a "basket case" (got tore apart, and all the parts were stored in the car itself). It already has the SBC "upgrade" Mustang II front end, GM rear, GM tilt column in it. Someone started it, then pushed it out in their yard. Metal is all there and pretty decent, but missing some pieces like a back seat (or at least something to template off of), trim pieces for around the hood, and decent running boards. The rest is solid. Believe it or not, my wife actually approved of this project(only because she really likes these styles i think), and I am going to use it to get my kids involved too.

Chris Kot
            '63 GT Hawk
            '37 Dictator Rod Project

Comment

CA way too far for me! Keep a look out you never know though. Mine is definitely a "project" and a "basket case" (got tore apart, and all the parts were stored in the car itself). It already has the SBC "upgrade" Mustang II front end, GM rear, GM tilt column in it. Someone started it, then pushed it out in their yard. Metal is all there and pretty decent, but missing some pieces like a back seat (or at least something to template off of), trim pieces for around the hood, and decent running boards. The rest is solid. Believe it or not, my wife actually approved of this project(only because she really likes these styles i think), and I am going to use it to get my kids involved too.

Chris Kot
              '63 GT Hawk
              '37 Dictator Rod Project

Comment

When there was talk of a new four door Porsche, many magazines wrote that it was the first four door Porsche. I wrote to all of the magazines months ago about this and included information on the prior four door Porsche. None of the magazines even responded to me. I don't suppose that Hemmings, that I have given up on, gave me any credit for informing them of the existence of the prior four door Porsche.

Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

When there was talk of a new four door Porsche, many magazines wrote that it was the first four door Porsche. I wrote to all of the magazines months ago about this and included information on the prior four door Porsche. None of the magazines even responded to me. I don't suppose that Hemmings, that I have given up on, gave me any credit for informing them of the existence of the prior four door Porsche.

Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

alas, but....NO

Chris Kot
                    '63 GT Hawk
                    '37 Dictator Rod Project

Comment

alas, but....NO

Chris Kot
                      '63 GT Hawk
                      '37 Dictator Rod Project

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

They are talking about a production Porsche, (to be called the 'Panamera'), and not counting the Cayenne SUV. There have been other concept 4-door Porsches in the past, including a suicide door 911 one-off that was made around 1964.

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

They are talking about a production Porsche, (to be called the 'Panamera'), and not counting the Cayenne SUV. There have been other concept 4-door Porsches in the past, including a suicide door 911 one-off that was made around 1964.

Craig

Comment

Here's some info, drawings, and pics of the proposed Stude car for 1962 and the earlier Porsche 542 designed and built by Porsche for Studebaker. The 1959 Lark with the 1953 Porsche 1300 cc engine is now in the Studebaker National Museum.

See http://www.studegarage.com/porsche.htm

[img=left]http://www.studegarage.com/images/gary_ash_m5_sm.jpg[/img=left] Gary Ash
                            Dartmouth, Mass.
                            '48 M5
                            '65 Wagonaire Commander
                            '63 Wagonaire Standard
                            web site at http://www.studegarage.com
                            Gary Ash
                            Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                            ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                            '48 M5
                            '65 Wagonaire Commander
                            '63 Wagonaire Standard

Comment

Here's some info, drawings, and pics of the proposed Stude car for 1962 and the earlier Porsche 542 designed and built by Porsche for Studebaker. The 1959 Lark with the 1953 Porsche 1300 cc engine is now in the Studebaker National Museum.

See http://www.studegarage.com/porsche.htm

[img=left]http://www.studegarage.com/images/gary_ash_m5_sm.jpg[/img=left] Gary Ash
                              Dartmouth, Mass.
                              '48 M5
                              '65 Wagonaire Commander
                              '63 Wagonaire Standard
                              Gary Ash
                              Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                              ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                              '48 M5
                              '65 Wagonaire Commander
                              '63 Wagonaire Standard