Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1957 Studebaker Dump Truck In deadly Accident (6/21/2012)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1957 Studebaker Dump Truck In deadly Accident (6/21/2012)

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

I hope that neither is someone that I/we know.
    Cathy said that she heard something about the accident on TV, but without the information that you posted.
    I wonder if he lost his brakes and went into the earthen embankment in an attempt to stop the truck.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I am quite surprised like most of you I am sure, to hear that a Heavy? 1957 Studebaker Truck is still in daily Commercial use in 2012, not that it does not happen, but it certainly is VERY rare.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        I am quite surprised like most of you I am sure, to hear that a Heavy? 1957 Studebaker Truck is still in daily Commercial use in 2012, not that it does not happen, but it certainly is VERY rare.
        It might not have been "in daily Commercial use". It might have been someone's hobby vehicle that was pressed into service for this one haul of gravel. You know, a CASO "saving" on the delivery charge.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

It said in the report that the truck was not owned by the pit, so that alone says this was not a commercial use vehicle. I live next to a gravel pit just up the road, and have seen dump trucks have close calls before and something like this is something you never hope you have to see, but the danger is always still there when you are moving something heavy like rock; especially in an older truck. I really hope this isn't somebody we knew from here.
          Chris Dresbach

Comment

The truck belonged to someone I know. His name was Terry Johnson, and he was 49. He lived right near the quarry, and was picking up some gravel for his home. Near as we can tell thus far, he was not able to get it downshifted coming down a steep grade, and the brakes were not able to control the truck without engine braking. The story is that Terry tried to jump out and possibly was run over.

I have been to Kinsella's many times. From '98-'01 we had a large racing fab shop called Pro-Motion Motorsports on quarry property in one of their spare buildings. I have been up and down that steep gravel road dozens of times. It's somewhat rough terrain by its nature, but navigable if you're careful. Hundreds of trucks go in and out every day.

Still, it is a dangerous place. Kids sneak in semi-frequently with 4x4s, dirt bikes, etc. In about '08 a couple teens went in with a Toyota FJ and barreled off a cliff; one dead.

The owner is Tommy Kinsella, maybe 5-6 years younger than me. He inherited the place from his father maybe 25 years ago when the father was killed on the property digging gravel. As I said, it's kind of a hard-nosed place.

Terry got a kick out of that old truck. Right now the police have it and are examining it to determine what failed. It doesn't look that damaged. Time will tell what the official determination is.

The world, and his family, has lost a good guy. At this point it doesn't appear he did wrong, or even the truck did. It was more like something that just happened. Not sure if his name has been released yet, but that's who it was.

That's all I have to say right now.
            Last edited by Bob Andrews; 06-22-2012, 03:54 PM.
            Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
            Romans 15:13
            Deuteronomy 31:6
            Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Sad ending to a young life. Accidents happen when we least suspect. There are several old quarries , close by here. All but one are closed now. But, a number of unusual accidents have happened, over the years.

Comment

Condolences to all who knew and loved Terry, sorry for your loss. The Aussie forum members.
                John Clements
                Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

A couple of news updates.......

(copy)
                  MANLIUS -- Police are investigating a dump truck accident that killed a Manlius man at the T.H. Kinsella Quarry in Fayetteville.
                  Police say 49-year-old Terry Johnson died as a result of the accident.
                  There was another passenger involved in the accident who was able to exit the truck. The passenger suffered minor injuries.
                  Police say Johnson either jumped or fell from a moving dump truck. A preliminary investigation suggests that there may have been a mechanical problem that caused both the driver and passenger to attempt to exit the moving truck.
                  The dump truck, police say, was a privately owned 1957 Studebaker.
                  The investigation is continuing.

(copy)
                  Manlius, NY -- Manlius police identified Terry Johnson, 49, as the man who was killed in an accident Thursday at the T.H. Kinsella Quarry.
                  Police said Johnson, of 108 Pleasant St., Manlius, was killed when he fell or jumped from the 1957 Studebaker dump truck he was driving.
                  A passenger was able to escape from the truck with minor injuries, police said.
                  According to police, so far the investigation points to a possible mechanical problem with the 55-year-old dump truck.
                  Manlius police said they are working with state police, the federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration and the Mine Safety and Health Administration.
                  HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Ouch; what a tough loss and sad situation, Bob (and Terry's family).

Best and condolences to all. BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

45 year dump truck driver, and one of mine is a Studebaker. Thanks to Bob A. for relating the facts of the case. Please relay our sympathy. He died like a man, doing a man's job, and driving a man's truck. More than this we cannot ask. I will think of him.

A truckers tale with tear filled lyrics.Done also by Red Sovine-A great tune and the gestures towards the end restores faith in the better side of mankind.Cu...

Comment

Condolences to family and friends.
                        1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by comatus View Post
                          He died like a man, doing a man's job, and driving a man's truck. More than this we cannot ask. I will think of him.
                          Wow, what a fresh onion slice.
                          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                          Romans 15:13
                          Deuteronomy 31:6
                          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Sorry to hear about this and condolences to all who knew Terry, Bob.
                            Bill Pressler
                            Kent, OH
                            (formerly Greenville, PA)
                            Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                            Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                            1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                            1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                            All are in Australia now

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
                              It said in the report that the truck was not owned by the pit, so that alone says this was not a commercial use vehicle.
                              I don't know how you can possibly make that leap of logic. That is saying that just because the quarry did not own the truck that it could not possibly have been owned by some other commercial company.

This guy was killed using a truck that was older than he was. I can see driving older vehicles, but you have to respect their age.

I feel bad for him, his family and all that knew him. This shouldn't happen to anyone.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                              X