Looking for anybody with a '54 wagon, '56 J, or R series pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for anybody with a '54 wagon, '56 J, or R series pickup

During the International I will be giving tours of Studebaker International/the Chippewa Plant. One of the things we would like to do is showcase one of everything that was built in the plant both by Studebaker and AM General. I already found an AM General M35-A3 to fill that slot, but we need to find more Studebakers. I am looking for anybody that has:
    A 1954 Connestoga wagon
    A 1956 Golden Hawk
    or an R series pickup.
    The vehicle(s) do not have to be show cars, just presentable. They must be stock appearing. All vehicles will be inside the plant, under roof, and under constant supervision at all times. They will also be locked inside at night (unless the owner chooses to remove the vehicle at night). Cars may be removed Thursday for the concourse. Your vehicle will also be pointed out on each tour as being built in this plant and your name will be recognised. I'm not going to worry about finding a B-17 engine, those are too rare.
    Any takers?
    Chris Dresbach

To: Chris Dresbach,-----1956 Golden Hawks were assembled on a special assembly line at the Chippewa Plant? I didn't know that.

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
      To: Chris Dresbach,-----1956 Golden Hawks were assembled on a special assembly line at the Chippewa Plant? I didn't know that.
      Yes they were. Since the 56J had such a different body style, as well as the Packard engine, it was determined that it would be easier to just give the model its own production line. '56Js were built in both the Chippewa plant and in the Vernon (LA) plant.
      Chris Dresbach

Comment

Chris I would consider my 56J but it was built in California,it is Mocha Doeskinn completely original to CA assembly which is slightly different to SB assembly

Comment

I never would have guessed that '56 Golden Hawks were not assembled on the same line as Power Hawks and Sky Hawks.....but I can understand why they wouldn't be! Anyone have any photos of this
          Chippewa plant operation? That really would be interesting to see! (Come on Mr Q)

Comment

Oooo Chris...if Ray's willing to bring his Mocha/Doeskin GH, take him up on it, that car's a beauty, in fact it came to mind almost instantly when I first read your post.

I too was surprised to read that the first year's GHs were built in the Aviation Plant. That's interesting...and nice to know a Stude car assembly hall will still stand after the Hamilton Plant falls later this summer.

Wright R1820 single-row Cyclones are not all that rare BTW, but if you're looking for a Studebaker-built example actually off a B-17, then of course the field narrows a bit. Our local air museum has two R1820-powered twins in their fleet--a DC-3 and a CS2F Tracker--but none of those four engines is Studebaker-built. (I checked!)

S.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve T View Post
              Oooo Chris...if Ray's willing to bring his Mocha/Doeskin GH, take him up on it, that car's a beauty, in fact it came to mind almost instantly when I first read your post.

I too was surprised to read that the first year's GHs were built in the Aviation Plant. That's interesting...and nice to know a Stude car assembly hall will still stand after the Hamilton Plant falls later this summer.

Wright R1820 single-row Cyclones are not all that rare BTW, but if you're looking for a Studebaker-built example actually off a B-17, then of course the field narrows a bit. Our local air museum has two R1820-powered twins in their fleet--a DC-3 and a CS2F Tracker--but none of those four engines is Studebaker-built. (I checked!)

S.
              Being that so far his is the only '56J that has volunteered, I'd say his car would be fine. I know the differnece between a Vernon built and a Chippewa built '56, but it would be good enough for the tour to show that the model was built in two different locations; and if it's as nice a car as it sounds, great!
              I actually know of two Studebaker built CW radials in the area, but it would be difficult to get them to the plant, and all the paperwork involved, etc. One is at the airport museum and the other is in the SNM but is owned by the USAF.
              Chris Dresbach

Comment

Working...
              X