PDA

View Full Version : Looking to replace the 35amp altenator on my Lark

DunesMan
07-17-2007, 12:31 AM
I would like to get something with a little more capacity than the 35 amp altenator on my lark. I went down to the local box store and they didn't have a clue. DO any of you know of an altenator which will fit a lark reasonably well? I suppose the two problems to get around is the bolt circle and the depth of the altenator so the belt stays aligned.

Thanks in advance!

Geoff

"I can resist everything but temptation."

gordr
07-17-2007, 01:45 AM
quote:Originally posted by DunesMan

I would like to get something with a little more capacity than the 35 amp altenator on my lark. I went down to the local box store and they didn't have a clue. DO any of you know of an altenator which will fit a lark reasonably well? I suppose the two problems to get around is the bolt circle and the depth of the altenator so the belt stays aligned.

Thanks in advance!

Geoff

Geoff, get one of those "basket-style" alternators from a late '60s Chrysler product. They will bolt right on to the bracket where the Prestolite fits, and they can use the stock regulator.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Rerun
07-17-2007, 05:12 AM
When I installed my A/C, I needed to upgrade the alternator a bit.

I used a 60 Amp Mopar type from Advance/Parts America. It is a Beck/Arnley #1866268, which shows applications including a 1971 Plymouth Fury II V8 6.3L (to look up by application). This one has a single groove pulley, and works with the existing wiring and regulator.

IIRC, some spacers were required to get the exact alignment for the belt, and I modified the adjusting arm to get a good belt fit.

The price was in the $30-35 range, plus core charge.

Jim Bradley
'64 Daytona HT "Rerun"
http://home.earthlink.net/~bradley71771/images/Rerun.jpg

DunesMan
07-17-2007, 08:49 AM
Thanks, now I know what to look for. I'll let you guys now how I make out!

Thanks,

Geoff

skyway
07-17-2007, 09:08 AM
I run that Mopar alt. on all of my 12v cars, and it is an easy install. However,here in St. Louis, the quality of the rebuilds has slipped to the point that I always keep a "fresh" one on the shelf.