train to south bend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• train to south bend

hello all, i will be flying into chicago for a few nights and then heading to the meet, is the train to south bend from chicago the best way to go and where does it stop or is bus better, i have no car available, please give me your opinions, thanks from roger.
    R.A.Jennings

The "South Shore Line" railroad will take you from Chicago to South Bend's airport, on the west side of town. It's about a 2 1/2 hour ride with a bunch of stops. I've ridden it a bunch of times over the years. "NICTD" is the official name I believe. Google one or the other and you'll find out about it.

How will you get around South Bend? The fairgrounds is a few miles south of the Museum and old factory buildings.
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Comment

thanks for your reply Bill , i have never been to this part of the USA before , i thought i might get taxis to have a look around South Bend , I would like a ride around the proving ground on the saturday if possible with a stude owner , i will pay for the gas, cheers from roger.
      R.A.Jennings

Comment

Mr. Jennings,
        Have fun in South Bend ! There is a shuttle that will be going from many hotels, Studebaker International and the Fairgrounds. You can get details on that when you get here. I am sure you will find someone to ride with on Saturday at the Proving Ground too. Have fun!

Bob Henning

Comment

Originally posted by 1961 lark guy View Post
          Mr. Jennings,
          Have fun in South Bend ! There is a shuttle that will be going from many hotels, Studebaker International and the Fairgrounds. You can get details on that when you get here. I am sure you will find someone to ride with on Saturday at the Proving Ground too. Have fun!

Bob Henning
          What are the hours that the shuttle will run? How long will it take to make a loop? What type of vehicle will be used? Will it have a step or lowering platform for easy entrance and exit?
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Gary,
            I don't have the hours at my fingertips, but will followup. Same with the loop. They have it calculated and then had to re-calculate as the Michigan St bridge is restricted. I believe they are going to be school buses similar to the ones that were in Iowa. I will check on this and get back with you. Please be patient, as the person that can effectively answer these questions is out of town for a couple of days. I will email her.

Thanks
            Bob

Comment

R.A.
              What day are you planning to go to South Bend? I'm planning to leave Monday morning the 30th from Tinley Park, IL (about a half hour south of Chicago, our house is two blocks from the Rock Island line train station), serviced by Metra. PM me if you're interested in catching a ride in my 76 Avanti II.
              sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

There is ALWAYS someone that would give you a ride to or from the hotels and back! After all, we are all there for the same thing!!!

Jim
                "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                their Memorials!

Comment

hello all , thanks for your kind offers , my wife wishes to have look around chicago for a few days before south bend so we will be travelling over on the tuesday morning, hope to see you all there, cheers from roger.
                  R.A.Jennings

Comment

Hi Roger
                    This is the link to the South Shore railroad from Chicago to South Bend that gives detail and shows stations along the route around the bottom end of Lake Michigan. The passenger service of the railroad is called Northern Indiana Commuter Transportation District (NICTD).

John Shanahan

Comment

Originally posted by studevic View Post
                      hello all, i will be flying into chicago for a few nights and then heading to the meet, is the train to south bend from chicago the best way to go and where does it stop or is bus better, i have no car available, please give me your opinions, thanks from roger.
                      When you get here try the deepdish pizza, ribs, and cheesecake, you'll probalby have to buy an extra suitcase!

Comment

Take the train, I think it's probably the best way from here to Chicago. Yeah it may take a little longer but it's cheaper than driving and you don't have to rent a car or deal with Chicago traffic.
                        Chris Dresbach

Comment

You can always catch a taxi from the South Shore station at the airport to hotels in South Bend.

Comment

hello all , this will be my last post before leaving for south bend tomorrow , i fly out of Melbourne for vancouver , then 10 days sightseeing through the rockies in BC, fly to chicago then train to south bend, then train back across the states to seattle, boat to vancouver island ,back to vancouver then fly to Australia , away 32 days , i wish to thank you all for the helpfull information and hope to meet you in south bend , cheers from roger
                            R.A.Jennings

Comment

Roger,

Safe travels!

Bob Henning

Comment

Working...
                              X