Later Model Studebaker Wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: Later Model Studebaker Wheels

I bought some later style Lark wheels from a friend and one of them appears to be about an inch wider. Did
    6 cylinder Larks use a narrower wheel than the V8s. I would like to track down one more wide rim and then use those on the back of our 63 Lark 2 dor. Any advice would be appreciated.

No; sixes did not use a narrower wheel. What you probably got was an Avanti or early Super Lark 5" wheel in the mix.

From 1959 through early 1966, all Studebaker passenger car wheels were 4 1/2" wide regardless of engine except Avantis and early (very early) production Super Larks and [probably] Super Hawks.

Those exceptions and all later-production 1966 models "got" 5-inch-wide wheels. It is yet to be determined at what serial number they quit using 5" wheels on Super Package cars, but it is thought to be soon after the package cars were introduced, unfortunately.

The 5" wheels are thus rare and desirable, so hang on to the one you have and good luck finding more of them. BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 06-18-2012, 06:32 PM.
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

They may have been '57 Packard wagon wheels. They are 5.5" wide.
      Chip
      '63 Cruiser
      '57 Packard wagon
      '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
      '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Originally posted by raoul5788 View Post
        They may have been '57 Packard wagon wheels. They are 5.5" wide.
        Possible, Chip. I didn't go farther back than 1959 because he distinctly said he bought "Lark" wheels...but maybe that's what he was told and they are really older wheels after all. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I put the 51-54 wheels on my Lark. As long as you don't need the install the small hub caps, these wheels are great - and easy to find.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Thanks everyone, They might be Avanti or Super Hawk/Lark wheels because they have the regular bumps for the small hubcaps...Thanks again

Comment

Working...
            X