Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'28 President needs "original mohair' headliner- any donater vehicles out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: '28 President needs "original mohair' headliner- any donater vehicles out there?

Hi,
    Since my (originally my Dad's) '28 President project will be several years down the road, as I work on my '57 Golden Hawk now, I spend my time on the SDC site, not even sure if the ASC has one?
    But anyway, was reminded yesterday up at the farm that my '28 is
    a) just to darn original and good condition to "completely restore"; how many true 'survivor' '28 FB President Victorias are out there??
    and
    b) besides restoring engine/mechanicals, electrical etc..... the one interior item that DOES have to be replaced is the awful, unforgiveable "white" headliner someone sewed in many years ago before we got the car.... WITH A BROWN MOHAIR INTERIOR!!! (some people have no respect!)

So, I am thinking if there is a big four door sedan out there with a good headliner that is not going to be re-used because of overall car's need for restoration, it would be big enough to cover my Victoria Coupe and get rid of that horrible white thing, and bring it back to original upholstery all the way around. I assume "brown Mohair" in the late 20's Presidents or Commanders was probably all the same stuff?
    Here is the car: (didn't have camera yesterday to take photos of the interior, but dark brown mohair, pretty standard I'm guessing)
    Attached Files

Thats a good looking coupe.
    Klif
    55 Speedster/Street Machine
    63 Avanti R2
    64 Convertible R1

Comment

I'd look into 'classic' interior suppliers and get some that looks close to what you want. Taking a used headliner from one model car and fitting it to another car is not recommended.

Comment

Hey there Mike. P/M me your phone #- your box is full & wont take my p/m. Thanks
        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Any mohair from way back when is going to be rotten by now. Check out the mohair selection at Lebaron Bonney - they probably have a color that would match.
          Gary Ash
          Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
          ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
          '48 M5
          '65 Wagonaire Commander
          '63 Wagonaire Standard
          web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Hi

Sweet FB President Victoria Coupe! A new mohair headliner from LeBaron-Bonney is definitely the way to go. One additional improvement which you might considering making is having the moulding and the insert painted a lighter tan or other period color as the President had from the factory. It will make the car even more striking and be totally period correct. Refer to the original sales brochure for what is authentic.

Steve
            Last edited by 56H-Y6; 06-21-2012, 04:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X