A New Studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New Studebaker

Well its new to me. Picked this up Sunday after finding it on craigslist. Some farmer down in the valley was cleaning up and wanted someone to haul it off. The plan is to just get it driveable so we can use it around the ranch. I do have a few questions. The data plate is very hard to read, but I can read that it is a 2R16-55. So I know its a 1.5 ton and it has a 155" wb. There is another number down towards the bottom that says 2R16 9020. Is this the serial number? When I look in the book they only talk about the 2R16A and the serial numbers are around 30,000. I'm kinda confused on that. I would like to know what year it is. It came with no title. I also want to know what axle and ratio it has. I could do it the difficult way, but I thought there was supposed to be a tag on the rear end. Its a single speed split housing. I thought the data plate was supposed to have a code on there for the axle ratio and size.

Anyway the body is in pretty sound condition. The floor boards are NOT rotten[:0] and the driver's door is missing. The truck has been sitting for 15-20 years. The fellow parked it because the engine started nocking. But he said the hydraulics worked fine when parked.

Jake

-Home of John Studebaker-
    Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Founded in 2002, Varozza 4x4 Outfitters has over 20 years of experience building and repairing Jeeps. We focus on stretching TJ's to LJ's on our custom jig, building custom suspension and manufacturing our vary own products to make your Jeep more capable than it has ever been. Located only 60 miles from the Rubicon Trail, we are a one stop shop to prepare your Jeep for any offroad terrain.

Cool truck, Jake. I'm sure you can find a door easily enough. Nice-looking dump box, too.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Cool truck, Jake. I'm sure you can find a door easily enough. Nice-looking dump box, too.

Comment

Jake,

As a 2R16 it would be an early 1949 model with the 226 Commander motor. When the change was made to the larger 245 motor during the '49 model run the various models received the A designation.

You will not find any other build data on the plate like you will find on the late model Transtar's (front and rear axle ratings, rear end ratio and brake options). If there is no tag you will need to jack up the rear end and count the revolutions of the driveshaft to get the ratio.

Congratulations, it looks solid.

Gary

Comment

Jake,

As a 2R16 it would be an early 1949 model with the 226 Commander motor. When the change was made to the larger 245 motor during the '49 model run the various models received the A designation.

You will not find any other build data on the plate like you will find on the late model Transtar's (front and rear axle ratings, rear end ratio and brake options). If there is no tag you will need to jack up the rear end and count the revolutions of the driveshaft to get the ratio.

Congratulations, it looks solid.

Gary

Comment

Thanks guys. I guess I'll check the ratio the hard way. Would there be any casting numbers on the rear axle? Or is there only one single speed axle they used in '49? I'm just curious as to what the rating is. Yeah Gord, I have a couple extra doors and as for the box, I think its in pretty good shape for being a dump bed.

Jake

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Founded in 2002, Varozza 4x4 Outfitters has over 20 years of experience building and repairing Jeeps. We focus on stretching TJ's to LJ's on our custom jig, building custom suspension and manufacturing our vary own products to make your Jeep more capable than it has ever been. Located only 60 miles from the Rubicon Trail, we are a one stop shop to prepare your Jeep for any offroad terrain.

Comment

Thanks guys. I guess I'll check the ratio the hard way. Would there be any casting numbers on the rear axle? Or is there only one single speed axle they used in '49? I'm just curious as to what the rating is. Yeah Gord, I have a couple extra doors and as for the box, I think its in pretty good shape for being a dump bed.

Jake

Comment

I like it, and fell in love with the price. (G)
                Ebon...

Comment

I like it, and fell in love with the price. (G)
                  Ebon...

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Stude4x4

Thanks guys. Jake
                    A Fine Find, Jake!

BTW, did you live up in the Placerville-Auburn area back in 1998?

<h4>Last Man Standing in Studebaker Indiana</h4>

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Stude4x4

Thanks guys. Jake
                      A Fine Find, Jake!

BTW, did you live up in the Placerville-Auburn area back in 1998?

<h4>Last Man Standing in Studebaker Indiana</h4>

Comment

Working...
                      X