Buying Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying Advice

A long time ago I was looking at a 1950 Champion and I remember someone telling me things to look out for when purchasing a bulletnose. But for the life of me I can't remember what the advice was (and I was out bid on the car!)

Dose anyone here have some helpful advice on things to check for when buying a '50s Champion?

Thanks.

Ivan

Knowing Studebaker steering and suspension as I do, the first thing I would say is BUY A '51 OR '52! [^] It is a way better driving and handling car![^]

If it were mine, I would also install 1954 to 1966 11 in. front & 10 in. rear finned drum brake system from a 289 V-8 car.

Of course I have my personal opinions that may not be your's or some other's, and that is just fine. I am just telling you what owning Studes. for 49 years has taught me!

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Knowing Studebaker steering and suspension as I do, the first thing I would say is BUY A '51 OR '52! [^] It is a way better driving and handling car![^]
      If it were mine, I would also install 1954 to 1966 11 in. front & 10 in. rear finned drum brake system from a 289 V-8 car.
      Of course I have my personal opinions that may not be your's or some other's, and that is just fine. I am just telling you what owning Studes. for 49 years has taught me!
      He was probably warned to check the steering idler arm. They seem to be a high wear item and are unobtanium. Sunday at out chapter picnic one member showed up in his '50 Champion and he announced that he had it converted to later five-lug wheels and finned drums all around- probably not an easy conversion.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson
      '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
      '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
      '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
      Museum R-4 engine
      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Good for him!! [^] I'll bet that car can stop on a dime with nine cents change! [^]

It is not really HARD to do, just a bit of work and parts gathering but well worth it. I highly recommend that as a plenty good enough replacement for all '47-'53 models and MUCH cheaper than the Disc. conversion, if it is a stock "driver" (under 240 HP) and not a high performance or drag car. [:0]

quote:Originally posted by 53k

Sunday at out chapter picnic one member showed up in his '50 Champion and he announced that he had it converted to later five-lug wheels and finned drums all around- probably not an easy conversion.
        StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

It is not really HARD to do, just a bit of work and parts gathering but well worth it. I highly recommend that as a plenty good enough replacement for all '47-'53 models and MUCH cheaper than the Disc. conversion, if it is a stock "driver" (under 240 HP) and not a high performance or drag car. [:0]
          In support of this, at the drags in Osceola, I made several stops from over 90 MPH in fairly quick succession with the stock brakes on my '54. No fade, no pull. The '54 and up brakes are pretty good.

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Cool video, Dick! Nice to see your Stude trounce a rice burner!

Western Washington, USA

Comment

Will these work on a '47 Champ and where can I get the parts. I want to go from 4 stud to 5 stud for a wider wheel choice....brad

StudeRich
              Studebakers Northwest
              Ferndale, WA

Comment

The later brakes will only bolt on from 51 up, lots of work to do on a 50. BTW, I don't have a clue as how to do it.

JDP/Maryland
                64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
                64 GT R2
                63 GT R2
                63 Lark 2 door
                59 3E truck
                58 Starlight
                52 & 53 Starliner
                51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Working...