Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone know the value of a 1920's Studebaker Sign?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know the value of a 1920's Studebaker Sign?

The sign was put in Abel's Studebaker Garage in Rhinelander, WI in 1920. It was removed in 2005 when the building was renovated. The white raised letters can be redone but we are wondering the value? It is 42" x 42" and is made from cement and the front is out of porcelain.
    Attached Files

That is a really cool sign!!! Looks like one of the old Proving Grounds 3D signs or one off of one of the So Bend buildings.

Mark

Comment

This is what it should look like. This is a recent photo of the old Studebaker dealership on Lincoln-Way East in Mishawaka, Indiana. The building was constructed in 1927. I have original photos of it. Studebaker offered these FREE to dealers who were into new construction in the early 1920s. I have documented 16 buildings still standing that have one or more of the terra cotta wheels. As for value if it could be cleaned up to look like the one in the photo I think $5K would not be out of the question. AS is probably less that half that.
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by pfrasier View Post
        The sign was put in Abel's Studebaker Garage in Rhinelander, WI in 1920. It was removed in 2005 when the building was renovated. The white raised letters can be redone but we are wondering the value? It is 42" x 42" and is made from cement and the front is out of porcelain.
        Any chance you still have this?

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post

This is what it should look like. This is a recent photo of the old Studebaker dealership on Lincoln-Way East in Mishawaka, Indiana. The building was constructed in 1927. I have original photos of it. Studebaker offered these FREE to dealers who were into new construction in the early 1920s. I have documented 16 buildings still standing that have one or more of the terra cotta wheels. As for value if it could be cleaned up to look like the one in the photo I think $5K would not be out of the question. AS is probably less that half that.
          That building later became O'Neil Ford and there were Ford signs installed over the Studebaker logos. Nice to see that they didn't destroy them. My dad bought a new 54 Ford there and I went to Junior High just across Lincolnway at Main Jr High School, that's now a furniture store.
          sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
          1950 Champion Convertible
          1950 Champion 4Dr
          1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
          1957 Thunderbird

Comment

The furniture store is gone. It is now senior housing. It was also a Rambler dealer in the 60's

Comment

Originally posted by DieselJim View Post
              The furniture store is gone. It is now senior housing. It was also a Rambler dealer in the 60's
              I had heard that it was going to become senior housing. I kidded some of my old schoolmates that still live in the area that they can all return to school. Battell is a senior center and now main is housing. As long as they leave MHS alone. When Rambler was in that building, I believe the Studebaker signs were visible. There were 2 green Mark Donahue AMX's in front with consecutive serial numbers. Tried to talk my dad into buying them so we could have a matched set, like we could afford them. Back to the signs, any info on the value? I'd sure like to have one.
              sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
              1950 Champion Convertible
              1950 Champion 4Dr
              1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
              1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Thank you for posting this!

I have been working on a diorama - a building in 1/24th scale - to use for displaying some of my Studebaker model collection - now, I have documentation of these signs, and their size.

Thanks, again!

Drew

Comment

Studebaker sign

Originally posted by pfrasier View Post
                  Do you have a price for this? Do you know how much it weights for shipping?

Comment

Working...
                  X