Electronic Fuel Injection Up & Running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Electronic Fuel Injection Up & Running

I began this venture with a desire to rid my 1962 GT, once and for all, of vapor lock. First, I read all I could find on the internet for about a month, bought two suggested books, and exchanged several emails with a 56Jer who installed EFI on several classic cars.
    The pre-reading was interesting and educational, but voluminous. After reviewing just about every EFI system on the market, new and old, I settled on HAMILTON FUEL INJECTION (HFI). A major reason for choosing Bill Hamilton's HFI was that his knowledge and customer/tech support are second to none. In reading a NG primarily for International Inc vehicles, there are several years' historical threads Many people on that NG bought from other sources, but later come to Bill for tech support they could not get from their suppliers. BIll has given advice, free of charge to those folks for years now.
    My experience with HFI was that Bill was available 7 days a week by phone & email, and has the patience of Job. Though he has tried hard to make his system "idiot proof" for people like me, I had to climb a bit of a learning curve in installing mine. My next install will go much smoother, but for anyone doing a first install, tech support is critical.
    As for the end product, it has exceeded all expectations. The HFI includes EST (electric spark technology); Bill took my Stude Prestolite distributor and modified it with early 1990s GM electronic ignition parts to match the computer, and even included a coil that is a dead ringer for Stude OEM.
    I just took the car out tonight for a 120 mile shake down cruise, and it does EVERYTHING better than the OEM set up, including a little more MPG.
    The HFI comes with everything needed except fuel lines, and vehicl speed sensor (VSS) provision, which is suggested. I bought a cruise control that includes the magnet on the driveshaft, which also provides VSS.

I simply cannot say enough good things about the HFI. Over the years I have installed many of what I call "drivability improvements" on Studes, and have driven them over 500,000 miles. Installing the HFI jst may be the best improvement to date!

Nice goin', Joe! I'm jealous! Post some pics when you can.

Comment

I sure will post pix soon Tom. I forgot to mention all electronic parts, for both fuel & spark control are early 1990s GM. Like Bill said, "millions of GM vehicles can't be wrong". I also forgot to mention, the HFI price is best I found ($1399), especially considering it includes several components others charge extra for. Not to mention, each kit is tailor made for a specific car. And the buyer deals directly with the maker/owner/operator of the business for everything, from purchase to tech support. That is probably what I like best about the HFI.

As for pix, the throttle body injector (TBI), which replaces the carb, requires a second look from anyone but an expert to notice it is not a carb, but a TBI. It fits nicely under the chrome, 14" Edlebrock air cleaner I have always liked to run. As for the wiring harness, I am thinking there is no way to hide it completely, but then that just provides a tell-tale sign that leads to bragging rights

Sorry if I seem overly enthused, but the system is just that good. (No HFI did not give me a discount, nor is he paying me to brag on his kit.)

Comment

Posted by JoeHall
        Sorry if I seem overly enthused, but the system is just that good. (No HFI did not give me a discount, nor is he paying me to brag on his kit.)
        Joe

Sounds like a reasonably priced, effective solution to adding EFI to a non-SBC engine. I'm still sold on the ECM controlling timing and your choice does that.

Glad you are happy with the solution and the support. Affordable Fuel Injection in Michigan does much the same thing.

Post a couple of pictures if you get a chance.

Great choice, Bob

Comment

And if there's anything more far-out than us Studers, it's an IH guy, website "Binder Planet". For those unfortunate enough not to have been raised on a farm, International Harvesters - tractors, trucks, cars, equipment, were generically called "Corn Binders" by those who favored other brands.

http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/s...d.php?t=102989

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

Jack, we've never met, (I spoke to you via email and phone a couple of times) this post in reference to IH confirms what I already thought about you and your technical post's!! YOUR AN ALRIGHT GUY JACK VINES!! Hope to meet you face to face some time!!

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
            And if there's anything more far-out than us Studers, it's an IH guy, website "Binder Planet". For those unfortunate enough not to have been raised on a farm, International Harvesters - tractors, trucks, cars, equipment, were generically called "Corn Binders" by those who favored other brands.

Email: sales@hamiltonfuelinjection.com Phone: (360) 969-2925 www.hamiltonfuelinjection.com Hamilton Fuel Injection 4652 Joshuas Way Oak Harbor, Wa 98277 I have been helping people update their older vehicles to electronic fuel injection for about 15yrs. I have decided to make it a little...

jack vines

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
            53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
            57 SH (project)
            60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

Man, I would love to put EFI on my Stude 259. I was thinking about spending about that amount on adding air conditioning to her, but this might come first.

Thanks for the info!
              '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post

http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/s...d.php?t=102989

jack vines
                Yep. Binder is where I found HFI.

Comment

Originally posted by rusty nut garage View Post
                  Jack, we've never met, (I spoke to you via email and phone a couple of times) this post in reference to IH confirms what I already thought about you and your technical post's!! YOUR AN ALRIGHT GUY JACK VINES!! Hope to meet you face to face some time!!
                  I have had the pleasure of meeting JV when I drove a 56J out to the Spokane IM in 2005. He is "the real deal"

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

I definitely have some wiring to tidy up, but basically the install is done. Yep, I am aware the engine bay could be cleaned up too, but the car is too busy rolling. Its the one I've put over 260,000 miles on since 1985.

Comment

Comment

Looks like 'The Matrix Sentinels'

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                              X