55 Presdient Coupe - Front Brake Shoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: 55 Presdient Coupe - Front Brake Shoes

I am doing a brake job on my 55 President coupe. The front and rear shoes are different (11 inch front / 10 inch rear). Looks like the front shoes for V8s are really hard to find.

I recently bought the car and I don't have any maintenance history on it. The brakes were pulling hard to the left. On the present left front shoes, the lining flakes off easily. I don't see any sign of leaking cylinders or grease but the shoes are definitely shot. It is hard to tell if they were new factory or a relined set. In either case, they are bonded...not riveted. No parts numbers on them to be found.

Time is of the essence as our (OK "MY") Studebaker is on jack stands in the garage and my wife's Chrysler 300 is outside (Get the Picture here?) So, rather than wait for ordering, shipping and core exchange from S.I., I tried local parts houses. I sent my O'Reilly Parts Guy through his old manuals and nothing was found for the front shoes. The rear ones were no problem.

I searched this forum for front shoe part numbers, and found a thread from June 2010, posted by CASH.

See http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?42363-What-size-front-shoes- 61-hawk&highlight=brake+shoe+part+number

On that thread there was a reply from LAUGHINGLARK who noted the Raybestos R 177 number was obsolete. Laughing also said All the 54 to 66 V/8 front shoes are the same.

Armed with that information I was back on the phone to my O'Reilly's Victim. Giving him the R 177 number, he found that they were available overnight. Tomorrow morning I will take my cruddy front shoes in for comparison and possible purchase.

I'll post the result. Many Thanks to CASH and LAUGHINGLARK!

To: CHIEF BLAZE,----- Glad O'Reilly's could help You, I hope the shoes they located turn out to be the right ones. Understand You were under a 'time crunch', but whenever We can, We need to give Our
    dedicated Studebaker vendors sales like this. It's just that O'Reilly's will stay open with or without Us, whereas Our Studebaker vendors DEPEND on Us to keep their doors open. Thanks!

Comment

And...,YES!
      Cores for those shoes are no longer available.
      No one should scrap a Studebaker V8 without stashing the front shoes.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Hi Chief Did you try Studebaker West or Sacto cluch & brake can reline your old ones.

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
          And...,YES!
          Cores for those shoes are no longer available.
          No one should scrap a Studebaker V8 without stashing the front shoes.
          The irony here was I was '100% sure' that my front brakes in my 1962 Lark V8 were shot: pulled the drums off (the car sat for probably 35 years) and Lo and Behold: not only were my shoes almost 'new', the drums were still standard size. Replaced the wheel cylinders, hoses as well as the wheel bearings/seals and will keep my front drum brakes for now. Dow the road I'll so the Turner disc conversion. But I already have a 1968 Mustang disc brake master cylinder since the original single reservoir unit was bad.
          --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Hi SN 60. I am with you on using our dedicated parts vendor folks. It was not the money...just the time frame on this one. Rest assured, though my car is pretty well complete, our dedicated dealers are in line for mucho business from me as I finish up here. I have been making a list of needs. Door rubber both sides, cat whiskers, both side roll up windows, trunk rubber, little side window rubber, inside sill plates, sun visors (2), shift and turn signal knobs, torque converter cover plate, gas tank renewal and probly lots more of the little stuff.

This forum is invaluable for finding those vendors and sources for parts. Sure glad we joined. And, thanks to all who have responded to this post.

Comment

Originally posted by CHIEF BLAZE View Post
              Armed with that information I was back on the phone to my O'Reilly's Victim. Giving him the R 177 number, he found that they were available overnight. Tomorrow morning I will take my cruddy front shoes in for comparison and possible purchase. I'll post the result.
              Did O'Reilly come through with what you needed?
              Jerry Forrester
              Forrester's Chrome
              Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Chief, Contact Chuck Collins at http://www.studebakerparts.com/
                outstanding customer service, prompt delivery and technical help. I'm betting 2 days from placing the order to having the shoes.
                Russ
                Originally posted by CHIEF BLAZE View Post
                Hi SN 60. I am with you on using our dedicated parts vendor folks. It was not the money...just the time frame on this one. Rest assured, though my car is pretty well complete, our dedicated dealers are in line for mucho business from me as I finish up here. I have been making a list of needs. Door rubber both sides, cat whiskers, both side roll up windows, trunk rubber, little side window rubber, inside sill plates, sun visors (2), shift and turn signal knobs, torque converter cover plate, gas tank renewal and probly lots more of the little stuff.

This forum is invaluable for finding those vendors and sources for parts. Sure glad we joined. And, thanks to all who have responded to this post.

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
                53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
                57 SH (project)
                60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

Here's my Wednesday evening update:

Thanks for all the replies. To Jerry Forrester and others: O'Reilly's was a false lead. They ordered off the R 177 number but the shoes weren't right for the front. They had the rear shoes (surprise!). So, following the advice of Rusty Nut and others, I will be checking out S.I. and/or Chuck Collins. Early tomorrow its out to the garage to put the bad shoes back on, take the Stude off of the jack stands, move her out of the garage and wait a few days for parts. My wife's Chrysler 300 will have its "house: back for a while.

Comment

I just made new friends at Studebaker West. The elusive front shoes for the 55 President coupe are on their way here. So to are door rubbers, glue, side window rubber, trunk rubber etc. Not bargain basement cheap but not nearly as high as I had feared either. And, I know the parts will be correct for the car. They are really nice people to work with and it feels good to use a fellow SDC Member and dedicated Studebaker Parts supplier. They even had my missing shift and turn signal knob.

I asked about a new wire harness for the steering column stuff. No problem. In fact, they recommend I send the whole switch and wire bundle to them. It will go in a flat-rate US Postal Box. They will do all new wires and will even solder them onto my switch. Wow! What good service!

Comment

The folks at Studebakers West are great! Always very helpful and with great technical knowledge as well. Glad they are helping you stop safely!
                      Pat Dilling
                      Olivehurst, CA
                      Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Studebakers West is only a mile from my house. I'm spoiled!
                        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Working...
                        X