53 or 54 Conestoga found in AZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 53 or 54 Conestoga found in AZ

We were on vacation in Payson AZ and saw this 53 or 54 Conestoga on a car hauler in a junkyard in Rye AZ off of Hwy 87 north of Phoenix. Looks like most of it is still there!
    Attached Files
    Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT
    58 C Cab
    57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

I like the sign "Smile You're on Camera". She if you can find a camera in all of that.

Comment

Gotta be a '54.
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

I wish you good luck dealing with that guy. notice the motorcycle junkyard there too, it's been there for 20+ years and I don't think he's sold anything yet. I tried to buy a couple of interesting ratty bikes/pieces and his prices were about 200% of new for rusty parts. That car hauler has been there over 10 years and nothing has moved on or off of it either. I drive that road a few times a year, used to stop in just to look, not anymore. I won't pass along the juicier rumors about the guy that circulate among car and bike people here in PHX.
        Last edited by allstateguy; 06-12-2012, 03:35 PM. Reason: schpelling
        sigpic
        JohnP, driving & reviving
        60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Comment

It is a '54 since there were no '53's, but it does appear to have '53 Sedan Grilles in it though.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Its sad that there is a lot of stuff out there that could be saved, but won't because it is in the possession of a "hoarder". I watch that American Pickers show sometimes and they will dig some old rusty thing out of the bottom of a box that has been in an old barn since FDR was President. They ask the guy if he is willing to sell it, and they almost always scratch their chin and say "nope, I'm gonna do something with that". Then, 10 years later the guys dies and the only family he has left is a niece or nephew who lives 3 states away. They don't want to deal with it and just junk everything so they can sell the property. Stinks for the collectors, but not much anybody can do.

Comment

...Unless you find the ol' guys soft spot!
              I tried to buy a tug once of a real sour man & after a while he started raising the price so I dropped out from the deal. then a half year later a friend of mine tried the same thing & he got it... I asked him how he did it & he said "everyone's got a special interest in something..."

Comment

ALL....Conestogas had sedan body trim and sized bodies as their design.

And yea, 54 and 55 were the only "modern" Conestogas, the one on the trailer (as noted) is a 54.

Mike

Comment

The fellow who ownes the junk yard in Rye, Az is hard to deal with. A friend who purchased some bike parts had a difficult time in getting him to ship them. I understand that the asking price on the Stude is $8,300.00.

Oh yes, I drive past the place 8+ times a month.
                  sigpic

Mike Barany

Comment

I understand that the asking price on the Stude is $8,300.00.
                    Seriously....someone is on some VERY good drugs....!

Mike

Comment

The other stuff on that car hauler is pretty cool too. Too bad the way things sound it will all just rot away right there.
                      Joe Roberts
                      '61 R1 Champ
                      '65 Cruiser
                      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Working...
                      X