Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pop Quiz: How did this Plymouth preempt Studebaker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pop Quiz: How did this Plymouth preempt Studebaker?

Doggone it, I'm determined to come up with a legitimate Pop Quiz that lasts longer than 24 hours before somebody gets it right, so here 'tis! (Forewarned is forearmed: If you aren't into genuine trivia, stop right here! )

For everyone else, take a look at the 1955 Plymouth Savoy Six posted by Craig Parslow this morning:

Fred Fox had a Turning Wheels feature article on Studebaker Scotsman pickup trucks years ago. Fred postulated that Studebaker's Scotsman pickup was the first in the automotive industry to use "something."

However, we later determined that six-cylinder 1955 Plymouths, like the one Craig posted, predated what Fred (and yours truly and 'most everyone else) thought might have been a Studebaker "first."

Several of Fred's later Turning Wheels Recaps about the Scotsman truck article detailed that "something" RE: 1955 Plymouth Sixes versus Studebaker Scotsman Pickups, including photo documentation supplied by yours truly.

What was it?

(Here's where you folks who keep your Turning Wheels and have a Precision Systems / Lulu Turning Wheels Index have a leg up.)

The first poster to correctly answer the question wins their choice of:

1. Two NOS Studebaker Red Ball stationery envelopes

OR

2. One copy of the 1962 Lark Pace Car mailer just reprinted.

Good luck, sleuths. (As usual, previous Pop Quiz winners please refrain from answering for the first 24 hours. Thanks.) BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

A decal instead of metal trim. The Scottsman used decals on the dash and below the tailgate don't remember where the Plymouth used them
    TDITS The Dude In The Stude

Comment

Originally posted by TDITS View Post
      A decal instead of metal trim. The Scotsman used decals on the dash and below the tailgate. 'Don't remember where the Plymouth used them.
      BINGO! Geeze, you guys are just too good!

Randy is correct: Fred Fox thought the big Scotsman "decal" emblems on the dash and tailgate of Scotsman trucks might have been the first use of that type of applied trim, even though it is common today.

I had remembered seeing an unusually-low-mileage (7,032 actual, documented!) 1955 Plymouth Six sedan for sale about that time and had noted the word PLYMOUTH having been set in the deck lid handle as a reflective "decal," rather than painted or cast as we would expect in 1955. I wrote Fred to that effect and we agreed that was probably the first use of a reflective, sticker-type "decal."

Since that time, no further / earlier uses have surfaced. Here's the photo from the June 1989 Turning Wheels:

Incidentally, Plymouth V8s had a different deck lid handle incorporating a big V, so they did not have this feature.

Congrats, Randy: What'll it be, two NOS envelopes or a Pace Car mailer? Is your address still on McGee Road in Columbia?

(Craig; did you happen to photograph that Savoy's deck lid?) BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Envelopes will be just fine; and yes McGee road is current.
        TDITS The Dude In The Stude

Comment

Studebaker used decals on the instrument panel as early as 1927 (have photos to prove it). I know this may be a shock to most who assume that Studebaker started vehicle production in 1947!
          Richard Quinn
          Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

And, by the way, what do I win?
            Richard Quinn

Comment

To: Studebaker Wheel,-----The endless thanks of all the folks who are into 'genuine trivia' Mr. Q

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                Studebaker used decals on the instrument panel as early as 1927 (have photos to prove it). I know this may be a shock to most who assume that Studebaker started vehicle production in 1947!
                Sorry, Dick; the discussion was about the external use of these "decals," not internal. Fred Fox' original exchange discussed that (I think).

How would we ever know who first used them inside, say, on gauges and such? BP

Comment

Originally posted by TDITS View Post
                  Envelopes will be just fine; and yes McGee road is current.
                  OK, Randy; envelopes going out Wednesday. Bob

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                    Sorry, Dick; the discussion was about the external use of these "decals," not internal. Fred Fox' original exchange discussed that (I think).

How would we ever know who first used them inside, say, on gauges and such? BP
                    No where anywhere did the original question or the follow up indicate exterior. I demand satisfaction! Decals at twenty paces!
                    Richard Quinn

Comment

I knew that.
                      sigpic
                      Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                        No where anywhere did the original question or the follow up indicate exterior. I demand satisfaction! Decals at twenty paces!
                        Well, OK, Dick: We just last week renewed our annual adoption of the #1 1920 Light Six in The SNM for another year.

Does that help cleanse me of any perceived sinful behavior? BP

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                          Well, OK, Dick: We just last week renewed our annual adoption of the #1 1920 Light Six in The SNM for another year.

Does that help cleanse me of any perceived sinful behavior? BP
                          OK, maybe that Light Six actually has a decal on the instrument panel??
                          Richard Quinn

Comment

Originally posted by Lark Parker View Post
                            I knew that.
                            Your handle here is a welcome sight, Dale

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Actually, when that old original article on the Scotsman appeared in TW I was the one who wrote to Fred Fox and told him about the trunk handle decal being used on the '55 Plymouth. Then he reported my response months later in his "recaps" section of TW. As my family had a few of these cars through the years, I was well aware of it. Too bad I didn't see this thread earlier. Oh well, a day late and a dollar short. Typical.

The car pictured is beautiful. The yellow color is not a standard '55 Plymouth color. They didn't offer a yellow that year.

Later in the model year, the single side trim piece that Gary mentions became optional on Plazas, which was first just standard on the Savoy series. My grandfather had a late '55 Plaza so equipped from the factory. Also later in the model year there was a two-town side treatment for Plazas and Savoys that used trim similar to, but not as elaborate, as the trim used on the Belvedere.

Dave Bonn
                              '54 Champion Starliner

Comment

Working...
                              X