lstude's Not a good day...THE VERDICT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lstude's Not a good day...THE VERDICT

quote:I wonder if you could get Tom Covington to rebuild it for you...
    Yeah, he has already offered, but he has lots of his own projects to do. I am going to get him over to look at it when I drop the oil pan.

Leonard Shepherd

quote:I wonder if you could get Tom Covington to rebuild it for you...
    Yeah, he has already offered, but he has lots of his own projects to do. I am going to get him over to look at it when I drop the oil pan.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

Leonard
      Sorry to here about your troubles. Just keep thinking positive and things will work out as you know. Sounds like it didn't run for very long before you shut it down. To many people look at a knock as a passing thing until its too late. The valves sure look like they are burning good on the left bank. Can you post a right head pic when you get that far. I wish I was close enough to lend a hand.

Gordon

Comment

Leonard
        Sorry to here about your troubles. Just keep thinking positive and things will work out as you know. Sounds like it didn't run for very long before you shut it down. To many people look at a knock as a passing thing until its too late. The valves sure look like they are burning good on the left bank. Can you post a right head pic when you get that far. I wish I was close enough to lend a hand.

Gordon

Comment

lstude's Not a good day...THE VERDICT

I see there is more than one "Not a good day" posts, so I have changed mine.

If you have read my previous posts, you know that I just got my 52 Commander together and took it to South Bend. It seemed to be doing fine until last Sunday, when it overheated and lost oil pressure. I could also hear a rod knock.

I changed oil yesterday, and started it. The rods knocked briefly, but then quieted down. I took it out on the street and when I accelerated, I could hear the rods knock.

I checked the compression this morning and the best cylinder had 110 and the worst had 65. Not good!

After that I started tearing it down. Guido came over and helped me yank the transmission.

I finally got the engine out around 7:00 tonight. I pulled the left head.

I am more of a history buff than a mechanic, but it doesn't look good. It looks like it was rebuilt ( 30 thousands stamped on the pistons) but not just before I bought it on eBay. I have only put about 250 miles on it since I got it running, and it looks like it has many more miles than that.

I am too tired and hot to go any farther tonight. I will post more later.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

Oh man, Leonard. I'm sure you have to be pretty sick right about now.

I wonder if you could get Tom Covington to rebuild it for you...

Matthew Burnette
            '59 Scotsman
            '63 Daytona
            Hazlehurst, GA

Cruising the Proving Ground Test Track

Comment

Oh man, Leonard. I'm sure you have to be pretty sick right about now.

I wonder if you could get Tom Covington to rebuild it for you...

Matthew Burnette
              '59 Scotsman
              '63 Daytona
              Hazlehurst, GA

Cruising the Proving Ground Test Track

Comment

quote:Can you post a right head pic when you get that far. I wish I was close enough to lend a hand.

Gordon
                Thanks Gordon, I will try to get the right head off tomorrow evening and post a picture.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

quote:Can you post a right head pic when you get that far. I wish I was close enough to lend a hand.

Gordon
                  Thanks Gordon, I will try to get the right head off tomorrow evening and post a picture.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

"I have only put about 250 miles on it since I got it running, and it looks like it has many more miles than that."

Sadly, I hafta agree.

Miscreant adrift in
                    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

"I have only put about 250 miles on it since I got it running, and it looks like it has many more miles than that."

Sadly, I hafta agree.

Miscreant adrift in
                      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by laughinlark

Leonard
                        The valves sure look like they are burning good on the left bank.Gordon
                        I wonder if those valves were adjusted too tight!!

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by laughinlark

Leonard
                          The valves sure look like they are burning good on the left bank.Gordon
                          I wonder if those valves were adjusted too tight!!

Craig

Comment

8E45E wrote -
                            quote:I wonder if those valves were adjusted too tight!!
                            Why would you say that?

For the troubles Lenards got, the chamber colors actually look pretty good. And yes, that includes the valve and spark plug color.

Though the end one on the left looks just a tad lean, not much he can do about it.

Mike

Comment

8E45E wrote -
                              quote:I wonder if those valves were adjusted too tight!!
                              Why would you say that?

For the troubles Lenards got, the chamber colors actually look pretty good. And yes, that includes the valve and spark plug color.

Though the end one on the left looks just a tad lean, not much he can do about it.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X