PDA

View Full Version : CASO??? Really? I think not!

Dads Baby
06-10-2012, 02:04 AM
Last week I dropped the Packard off at a high end detail shop. I felt that the 11 year old "driver" paint job was looking a little tired. Plus the stone chips were really getting obvious. The day I took my car to get an estimate, there were 2 Ferrari's, a Porsche 356 Speedster, a 69 Z-28 Donovan race car....well, you get the picture. The day I dropped the car off, there were 2 Porsche turbos, a Mustang Cobra, mid 60's Mercedes... Today when I picked my Baby up, there was a Lamborghini, 2 other Porches, and a Ferrari. When I was settling up the bill, I wanted to tip the employee that did the work. "Well, yes they do accept tips but very few give them!" I explained what a CASO is and then proceeded to out do all those "fancy" car owners. :woot: I think I made a friend for life! Ray was very pleased and he told me how much he appreciated being able to do the work on my car. It really bothers me that those other car owners wouldn't think about tipping the guy taking care of their car. Believe me, having this job done was a sacrifice for us. I have been in the service industry all my working years. I don't have a problem taking care of the people that take care of me. What gives?

JimC
06-10-2012, 03:30 AM
There are things that I can be a bit of a cheapskate about, but when it comes to customer service, I'd rather pay $10 to a guy who knows what he's doing and cares about serving my needs than saving $5 on someone who treats me like customer #48571.

Good service almost always trumps a good price in my books. In those rare times when I find someone who can do both, I'm a loyal customer for life.

JJWMACHINECO
06-10-2012, 03:49 AM
What gives?

It's like the old joke goes. What's the difference between a Ferrari, Porsche, Mercedes, Lamborghini, Mustang and a https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRH7t1eO_qRSPXI7NovtITzoaIUoBqIKbvDFeTfpj1nGfyAC6Ov???

I think you know what the answer to that one is. :eek: Good thing there was no BMW's there, because I drive a BMW. http://serve.mysmiley.net/animated/anim_64.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net)

Nox
06-10-2012, 04:44 AM
Giving credit for good service does all the good & keeps the crap-worx to the greedy folx!

& by the way, I had a BaderMeinhofWagen once & I've been driving my friends beemers & I say: No thanx!
& my opinion is that they should've kept to making bikes, THAT they can actually do quality-like. (I've had a couple of them.)
But then, it might be that they make them better for the US market, here in Europe the wreck-yards are full of them & it's by far the brand that's for sale the most of as second-hand cars...
Still; most youngsters anyway fall for the image.

JJWMACHINECO
06-10-2012, 05:58 AM
Giving credit for good service does all the good & keeps the crap-worx to the greedy folx!

& by the way, I had a BaderMeinhofWagen once & I've been driving my friends beemers & I say: No thanx!
& my opinion is that they should've kept to making bikes, THAT they can actually do quality-like. (I've had a couple of them.)
But then, it might be that they make them better for the US market, here in Europe the wreck-yards are full of them & it's by far the brand that's for sale the most of as second-hand cars...
Still; most youngsters anyway fall for the image.

I traded off my one and only Studebaker for the BMW and I like the Beemer hell of allot better. With that being said, it was an image thing and I'm not a youngster either. :!!:

The joke is not about the quality of any of the vehicles, it was about the person behind the steering wheel in case you couldn't figure that out. ;)

sweetolbob
06-10-2012, 10:48 AM
Well stated DB.

You can never go wrong saying thanks for a job well done. It may be money, a case of pop or beer or a favor in return but you are seldom forgotten if you make an attempt.

I've done my share of "lighting up the room" when service or quality suffered but I never forget to say thanks in an appropriate manner.

Bob

rusty65
06-10-2012, 11:13 AM
[I have been in the service industry all my working years. I don't have a problem taking care of the people that take care of me. What gives? ]

It's like what my Mom would say,"Those who have the most give the least."I always give a healthy tip to those who provide quality service and tell them straight up that I appreciate it. I don't mind paying extra for a product or service if I know I'm getting taken care of.I call it a "value added".
@ JimC, I couldn't agree with you more!!

SN-60
06-10-2012, 02:15 PM
To: Dads Baby,----- Was wondering what year/model Packard You own?

bezhawk
06-10-2012, 02:24 PM
I'm working on a Ferrari also between the Avanti restoration, and the Bently Continental last week. I will say most of my Stude clients end up as friends, long after the car has left the shop.

StudeMichael
06-10-2012, 03:44 PM
Please post a picture of the new paint job Carey

Dads Baby
06-10-2012, 05:00 PM
StudeMichael, trust me when I tell you that I went for the least expensive option given to me! 3 stage buff & polish, not the $2500 wet sand and buff! :eek:

Ed, I have the 42nd Packard Hawk built. She has fewer than 41,000 miles but I am working on that!:D

2 shots outside the shop and then a retake with a better camera!

deco_droid
06-11-2012, 12:21 PM
Last week I dropped the Packard off at a high end detail shop. I felt that the 11 year old "driver" paint job was looking a little tired. Plus the stone chips were really getting obvious. The day I took my car to get an estimate, there were 2 Ferrari's, a Porsche 356 Speedster, a 69 Z-28 Donovan race car....well, you get the picture. The day I dropped the car off, there were 2 Porsche turbos, a Mustang Cobra, mid 60's Mercedes... Today when I picked my Baby up, there was a Lamborghini, 2 other Porches, and a Ferrari. When I was settling up the bill, I wanted to tip the employee that did the work. "Well, yes they do accept tips but very few give them!" I explained what a CASO is and then proceeded to out do all those "fancy" car owners. :woot: I think I made a friend for life! Ray was very pleased and he told me how much he appreciated being able to do the work on my car. It really bothers me that those other car owners wouldn't think about tipping the guy taking care of their car. Believe me, having this job done was a sacrifice for us. I have been in the service industry all my working years. I don't have a problem taking care of the people that take care of me. What gives?

I don't know that I would assume "fancy car" owners don't want to "take care" of the guy doing work on their car. My first reaction was I would think that type of employees gets paid well for their work, and it's not the type of job where tips are expected. Nothing against what you did, but my "reward" to them would be my return business and/or referring their work to others.

jimmijim8
06-11-2012, 01:36 PM
After so many times paying a not so fair price for a rim job without vaseline, I find it hard not to leave a tip of some sorts in return for fair pricing and quality work. Quality work and fair price doesn't always co-exist in a whole lotta shops. cheers jimmijim

sweetolbob
06-11-2012, 01:48 PM
I don't know that I would assume "fancy car" owners don't want to "take care" of the guy doing work on their car. My first reaction was I would think that type of employees gets paid well for their work, and it's not the type of job where tips are expected. Nothing against what you did, but my "reward" to them would be my return business and/or referring their work to others.

DD

Those are certainly fair comments but in most situations people pay their bills and the provider just continues on. What I want to create is a memory that I care about what and how he preformed and I appreciated his/her effort.

We tip our pilot that flys us into the fishing camp yearly. For some reason we seem to be first party picked up on check out day.

I can also think of several other instances where I've been involved positively in "What goes around comes around".

On the other hand, there are a few local venders that also remember me when service was less than expected. Just ask the Chrysler dealer that flushed my wife's Intrepid transmission and left the lines loose to wear through from the crank pulley 50 miles from home. He didn't think he should pay for the repairs but did. :mad:

Bob

plwindish
06-11-2012, 03:58 PM
Carey,
Nice looking Packard Hawk. My 76 Avanti was parked next to a twin of your car last Thursday night at a cruise in Frankfort IL. That car was equally as nice as yours.

Dads Baby
06-12-2012, 02:00 AM
Carey,
Nice looking Packard Hawk. My 76 Avanti was parked next to a twin of your car last Thursday night at a cruise in Frankfort IL. That car was equally as nice as yours.

Thanks Paul! I like hearing about other PH's out and about!

Deco: I guess my thoughts are just a bit different. If a shop charges $50/hour, you can't really believe the employee doing the work gets the whole $50. The shop has rent, utilities, supplies, payroll... the list goes on. Like others have said, "what goes around." I know that when Ray sees me or my car again he will get a smile on his face and be willing to take care of my car again. I bet after I told him the meaning of "CASO," he probably came up with "CAFO" or similar! :lol:

JimC
06-12-2012, 12:08 PM
I agree with much of the sentiment here, that tipping is ok, even in this industry. It's not seen as a requirement, such as it it's a for servers or barbers, but it is a nice gesture. I remember once I was in Florida visiting my aunt and uncle who make custom kitchen cabinets. They had a lawyer friend in Omaha that needed one single cabinet door resurfaced. I offered to bring the door with me to save shipping costs, and they all agreed. A few days after I delivered the door, I got a letter from a law office. Inside the envelope was a check for $20 and a note saying "Jim, thanks for the help. Have a couple on me". It was a small gift, but let me tell you, he made a friend that day with that little tip. Tipping, especially when unexpected, builds relationships.

deco_droid
06-21-2012, 10:53 AM
I'm really not trying to argue -- I guess my past experiences with auto repair places have been, let's just say, less than stellar. Anywhere I have gone, they charge up the wazoo! Seems like the last time I had any work done by a shop, it was $700 or $800 to change out a flippin' distributor, because I didn't know how to do it myself. That was years ago, and the last time for me. I have since become more knowledgeable, have started doing my own repairs when they come up, as well as finding some friends who know more than I that can help out on occasion.

Maybe where you guys are, they don't charge as much or whatever, but it seems to me when they are getting almost a grand out of me for just one repair, I get the sinking feeling these guys aren't hurting for money, so I would never think of giving them a tip. I'm glad you guys have had better luck.

Oh, one more thing -- I think part of it may be I'm a younger guy with an old car, and maybe that puts more of a target on my head than for others -- like I don't know anything. I recently went to a body shop for an estimate to see what it would cost to fix a couple of door dings and I could not believe these jokers tried to tell me they couldn't blend the color -- they would have to virtually repaint the whole car. I found that awful funny because I had a small dent fixed in another vintage car back in the 80s, and they repaired and blended it perfectly. Charged me maybe $70 --- and guess what, that was the SAME BODY SHOP. So in 25 years they went from being able to fix a small dent, to having to repaint the whole car. I was told the same thing at another shop as well. Anyway, like I said, I'm glad you guys have had better luck finding good shops, but that is by no means a widespread phenomenon.

raprice
06-21-2012, 12:00 PM
I have to agree with Carey. Obviously, he was extremely pleased with the work that was done on his car. One of the things that I've observed over the years, is that people, who worked for tips, usually tip much better than most folks. My older son, when he was in college, waited on tables at a Benigan's Restaurant near his school. He always appreciated tips from happy customers. Today, he tips very generously when he's provided with good service.
Rog

9echo
06-21-2012, 12:37 PM
Back about 1948 I worked in my father's garage, in addition to mechanical work, we also sold gasoline. One afternoon a gentleman pulled up to the pumps and requested fill-up of Ethyl. I knew he was driving his girl friend's Packard but never thought that she would be paying for the the gas. He got out of the car and paid with a $5 bill. I took it into the office to get change and brought it out to him. He gave me a ten cent tip and I thanked him. He got into the driver's seat and there was some conversation between the two. Before I could walk back to the office she was in front of me demanding that I give her the ten cent tip.
She was a real CAPO. I often wondered how the relationship progressed after that.