Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Studebaker recycling & engine stand (pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker recycling & engine stand (pics)

A very generous local SDC member helped me out on two counts. Had an old 289 that he did not need any longer that he said I could have. Likewise, he was chopping up two Hawk frames that were holding up the side of a building for 20 years and gave me the forward portion of one as well.

Needed something to put the motor on so I took the front part of the frame to my local Career and Technical High School and a couple of welding students worked in it for a couple of weeks.

Here are the results:

Just waiting now to get the old motor hoisted up and on to see if it does as it is supposed to ....
    Last edited by 62champ; 06-09-2012, 10:32 AM.

Very nice. I want that!
    '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Thats really a cool idea. I hope those wheels will hold that kind of weight.

Comment

To: 62 champ,---- I have the twin to that.....Works great as an engine test stand also. Find Yourself a spare core support, and hang a radiator off the front of it!

Comment

Originally posted by 53commander View Post
          Thats really a cool idea. I hope those wheels will hold that kind of weight.
          Wheels are rated at 600 lbs so I should be good. Teacher of the students who built it stated it might not be a bad idea to block it up so they do not develop flat spots.

Comment

Excellent idea!

Comment

Very cool. Should do the job for storage at least.

Here's one for running engines I fell in love with, from a thread a couple years ago:

Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
              Romans 15:13
              Deuteronomy 31:6
              Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Ben Wenberg built that last stand (on the pallet jack)... That engine is now in his 1939 Commander & runs GREAT!

Comment

Yes, I also fell in love with the pallet jack idea. I just rebuilt a junk one for that purpose. However, instead of welding the engine stand to it, I'm going to be making pads on the bottom of the stand the jack can roll under and pick up, move the stand where it needs to be, set it on the floor and pull the jack out for other duties. Jacks have to be able to multi-task :>)

jack vines
                  PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                    Yes, I also fell in love with the pallet jack idea. I just rebuilt a junk one for that purpose. However, instead of welding the engine stand to it, I'm going to be making pads on the bottom of the stand the jack can roll under and pick up, move the stand where it needs to be, set it on the floor and pull the jack out for other duties. Jacks have to be able to multi-task :>)

jack vines
                    That sounds great, especially if you had multiple engines! The pallet jack was a thought at one point, but even the worn out ones are more than $150...

Comment

Working...
                    X