starting after rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: starting after rebuild

We are new to the forum. Actually this is Mrs. Billy. He doesn't do computers well and has a problem asking for help. A guy thing I'm sure. After restoring several old cars he has found his match in this new 1955 Studebaker Champion. He has done everything by the book but it won't start. It is a Champion Thirty-six 6 cylinder 16G6 engine. Does anybody have any suggestions or photo's on the timing of this thing? He seems to think that is the problem. He did everything according to the service manual he has which in a reproduction book with lousy photo's. This is his first Studebaker restore. I don't want it to be his last ! Any suggestions?

The champ 6 can throw you off because the timing of the engine in relation to the oil pump.

if the oil pump was removed, it is a must to install it per the book along with the distributor to get the timing right.

Look up oil pump in the book and read carefully.

Remove all spark plugs.

turn engine around and find compression stroke on #1

remove oil pump cover. carefull not to drop anything.

look at oil pump gears, look at dist rotor. Where is it pointing??
    Last edited by (S); 06-08-2012, 11:23 AM.

Comment

The slot on the distributor shaft has an off set slot. On my engine the rebuilder got it installed wrong (actually 180 degrees off) so I had to move the spark plug wires to compensate. You could got through and remove the oil pan to get to the shaft to correct or just rotate the plug wires...
      1948 M15A-20 Flatbed Truck Rescue
      See rescue progress here on this blog:
      http://studem15a-20.blogspot.com/

Comment

Should also note the rotation of the distributor may be contrary to that with which he is familiar.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

This may help..................

Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

This is Mrs. Billy again. Just wanted to thank all of you for the advice. The main problem ended up being two valves that had not seated properly. She is running now and is a beautiful sight. I just love this car! Wanted to take it to South Bend but didn't get it done in time.

Comment

Working...
            X