Pop Quiz: Studebaker's Custom Trim Level

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pop Quiz: Studebaker's Custom Trim Level

The designation Custom has been used by many manufacturers from time to time, including Studebaker, to denote a series or trim level. Usually, it denotes a higher trim level than the cheapest car in the line.

For example, the higher of two trim levels among "shoebox" [1949-1951] Fords was the Ford Custom.

Likewise, the highest of three trim levels among 1955 and 1956 Packard Clippers was the Clipper Custom.

Apparently, though, Studebaker didn't think so much of the Custom moniker, because it generally denoted their lowest trim level when used, beginning with the mid-year, economy-oriented 1950 Champion Custom.

Ignoring special fleet models not sold to the general public, then, the first person to post the correct answers to the following three questions (must answer all three correctly) wins their choice of:

1. Two Studebaker NOS Red Ball stationery envelopes.

OR

2. A copy of the 1962 Lark Pace Car mailer just reprinted.

Questions (all regarding only Post-WWII Studebaker cars):

1. In what two model years was there a Custom trim level but it was not the cheapest trim level at the end of the model year, even if it had been at the beginning of the model year?

2. In what four model years could you get Custom trim with either a Six or a V8?

3. In what five model years could you only get Custom trim with a Six?

Please number your answers to correspond with the questions, so we know which question you're answering. (Previous Pop Quiz winners please refrain from participating for 24 hours. Thanks.) BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

1957 1958

1961 1962 1963 1964

1954 1955 1956 1957 1958
    Last edited by (S); 06-08-2012, 10:40 AM. Reason: edit question one, forgot to say 57

Comment

I think you're wrong Mike!!!
      The correct answers are~
      1. 1955 and 1957
      2. 1953-1957
      3. 1947-1951

StudeDave '57
      US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
      SDC Member since 1985

past President
      Whatcom County Chapter SDC
      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
      San Diego Chapter SDC
      North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Question #1: 1957, 1963

Question #2: 1955, 1956, 1957, 1963

Question #3: 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954
        Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Comment

BINGO! Scott Davis ("Skinny") has all three questions correctly answered and wins.

What's your pleasure as to the prize choice, Scott?
          Is your address still on East Kemp in Watertown, per the 2011 SDC Roster?

To clarify:

Question 1: Champion and Commander Customs were the cheapest models when the '57s were introduced, but were undercut for pure austerity midway through the model year when the 1957 Champion Scotsman was introduced. And, of course, there was the cheaper Regal line when the '63s came out...and even it was undercut by the Standard midway into the 1963 model year.

Question 2: Both Champion and Commander Customs were offered in 1955, 1956, and 1957. And, of course, the Lark Custom was offered as the "6" trim level in 1963. So during those four model years, you could get either a six or V8 at the Custom trim level.

Question 3: Only Champion Customs were offered during those five model years; all 170 sixes, of course.

Now, back to thinking up something more difficult so the quiz lasts long enough for the employed guys to get home from work and check the Forum!

Congrats, Skinny; let me know your prize preference. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks Bob, I've always been too late to have a chance at those red ball envelopes, logged in at the right time today. The address is correct and the envelopes will make a nice addition to my Stude collection.

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
            Now, back to thinking up something more difficult so the quiz lasts long enough for the employed guys to get home from work and check the Forum!
            Hey, I work......sort of......it's just handier to go a few steps out our back door and not have to "punch-in" for someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Skinnys Garage View Post
              Thanks Bob, I've always been too late to have a chance at those red ball envelopes, logged in at the right time today. The address is correct and the envelopes will make a nice addition to my Stude collection.

Hey, I work......sort of......it's just handier to go a few steps out our back door and not have to "punch-in" for someone else.
              Skinny, I hear you on the "office" being just outside the back door. Having been "releived" of the 9-5 Corporate World 31 years ago, I don't have anywhere to be at 8:00 AM Monday Morning...but I'd better darn well be somewhere!

Again, Congrats. Two Red Ball envelopes going out Saturday. BP

Comment

It had to happen that the one time I'd know the answer to one of BP's trivia challenges, I'd be out of town away from a computer. Oh well, I spent the last four days on lake Okoboji in Iowa, sitting on beaches and riding speedboats. I suppose that's a good consolation prize <G>
                '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Originally posted by JimC View Post
                  It had to happen that the one time I'd know the answer to one of BP's trivia challenges, I'd be out of town away from a computer. Oh well, I spent the last four days on lake Okoboji in Iowa, sitting on beaches and riding speedboats. I suppose that's a good consolation prize <G>
                  I'd say so, Jim. You can buy a 1962 Pace Car Mailer reprint for $4 postpaid, but you can't buy a day at the beach and speedboat running for that! BP

Comment

Thanks again Bob, they arrived safe and sound.

It's fun to imagine the sort of information sent out in envelopes like these, good and bad......

Comment

You're welcome, Skinny. BP

Comment

Working...
                      X