Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Studebaker collectibles #14 (Hand painted neck ties 1950)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker collectibles #14 (Hand painted neck ties 1950)

Original hand painted Studebaker neck ties from 1950. The red one has a name that looks like Bill Buchheit on the inside. Not sure if that was the owner or the artist. In any event pretty unusual I think. There were also two different 1952 Centennial year ties that I am aware (I have one of them). These were not hand painted but the images were part of the tie. i believe they were sold commercially at that time (1952). Will post if I find mine.
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

I really like the one with the bulletnose! (lol)
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Those ties look to be made of silk. Really nice work!
      1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Gorgeous. I have a little experience with vintage haberdashery ("I wear old clothes"). You'd have a hard time using 1950 ties today, because they are so short. Ties were worn at a sort of scout-kerchief length for most of our history, probably a heritage of them starting out inside the collar, then being used to hold the collar closed. This touching-the-belt-buckle thing is only from the last 50 years or so. We were still giving shop-floor safety talks on that subject 30 years back, just before they vanished completely.

Lately, you're asking a lot of a guy to have him change out of his pyjama pants into pedal-pushers for dinner, but there are some here who remember that when "everyone dressed the same" (oh they sure didn't), loud socks and specialty neckties were a way of expressing individuality. The wrong choice could cause as much ill-will as a lewd T-shirt does now. Maybe more.

I might be willing to stitch in an insert just to be seen in one of those.

Comment

Working...
        X