Avanti Trailer Hitch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Avanti Trailer Hitch

I'm looking to put a hitch on my 1963 Avanti. I would like the 2' square one but I would take the older flat one with the ball. Also would anyone know the load limit of the hitch? Thanks, avantir3@yahoo.com Roland

Originally posted by avantir3 View Post
    I'm looking to put a hitch on my 1963 Avanti. I would like the 2' square one but I would take the older flat one with the ball. Also would anyone know the load limit of the hitch? Thanks, avantir3@yahoo.com Roland
    They were available on post-Studebaker Avantis, but they had very little load capacity- just a ball on a flat bar. I don't know where they bolted on.
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I had a hitch for my 64 way back in the day and sold it with the car in 1969. It was a flat bar to put a ball on. There were flat pieces going from the hitch bar in a V shape and bolted to the rear bumper mounts on the down pieces. I think the front of the hitch bar fastened by u bolts to the round rear crossmember.
      sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

I would think the load limit of the hitch would be my second concern. There isn't that much frame to bolt to, but I suppose a small trailer might not prove too much.
        Jim
        Often in error, never in doubt
        http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer Hitch.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	1674529Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer Hitch 2.JPG
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	1674530Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer Hitch 3.JPG
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	1674531

Attached are some photos of a similar style hitch that was offered by the Altman's for Avanti II's. A good welder could put together a receiver hitch incorporating the existing bumper brackets that bolt to the chassis. If you relocate the license light a two inch square receiver can be used with a cross bar that ties into both left and right bumper brackets. The cross bar will be hidden by the bumper. I've done one before and will seek out the photos.

Bob Caser
          mrbobinc

Comment

Working...
          X