PDA

View Full Version : 50 Champion not running good at all. Help!

50starlite
07-15-2007, 03:32 PM
The car ran fine all day, three stop and go trips of about 40 miles. Time to go home and it didnít want to start, like it was flooded, it would fire, stop , fire, stop. I finally got it to idle and then crippled home, 20 miles, at between 25 to 40 mph, the engine always wanting to quit. Any suggestion whatís going on? And why all at once, no warning!

Thanks for the help,
Dick
Mountain Home, AR
http://livingintheozarks.com/studebaker.htm

52-fan
07-15-2007, 03:49 PM
After it restarted was there any smoke? We would need more details to make suggestions,but the first thing that came to mind would be a defective coil that got hot and cut out. Sometimes a coil will work cool, but not hot.
How did it respond to stepping on the gas? Did it idle okay and then die or did you have to keep pumping the pedal just to keep it running?

1952 Champion Starlight since October,1971. 1962 Daytona
since May, 2007.Searcy,Arkansas

curt
07-15-2007, 03:54 PM
I had a car like that and it was the pick up tube in the tank . Could be many different things than fuel feed, as well as other fuel feed problems. Another time my problem like yours turned out to be the float was miss adjusted, car had run 1200 miles on a 1500 mile ( one way ) trip to a NAtional. Why was the float suddenly out of adjustment? I don't have a clue, some one suggested to much fuel pressure. Never was a problem after that on the road adjustment.

50starlite
07-15-2007, 04:32 PM
"How did it respond to stepping on the gas? Did it idle okay and then die or did you have to keep pumping the pedal just to keep it running?"
If you gave it much gas it would want to quit. Lightly pump the gas to keep it going. It would idle just fine.

O.K.! I just had her out for 4 mile drive up tp 65 m.p.h., never missed a beat!! Maybe there is a problem with tank pick-up. The tank is really clean inside, I've had the float out and it looked really clean.

Dick
Mountain Home, AR

Scott
07-15-2007, 04:37 PM
Did it ever backfire?

50starlite
07-15-2007, 04:44 PM
No backfire.

Dick
Mountain Home, AR

52-fan
07-15-2007, 05:01 PM
Since lightly pumping the gas kept it running it does sound like a fuel problem,but I can't make sense of it now running okay. You still may have to run it further so that it gets good and warm and see what happens. Your carburetor may have a piece of trash in it or the float might have hung partially closed. I would take the fuel line off at the carburetor and crank the engine to check for a good flow of fuel. Getting a reading of the actual fuel pressure could be useful.
If you are getting a good flow of fuel and you are sure the problem is not electrical I would then check inside the carb.

1952 Champion Starlight since October,1971. 1962 Daytona
since May, 2007.Searcy,Arkansas

50starlite
07-25-2007, 01:21 PM
I drove about 45 miles today and I am still having problems. The car runs great for about 20 miles and then has a slight miss, which only gets worse. It doesnít stall but misses bad under a load. Iíve ordered a new coil to see if that corrects the problem.

Dick
Mountain Home, AR

gordr
07-25-2007, 06:17 PM
Don't overlook the possibility of there being some trash in the fuel line that interferes with the proper working of the float needle and seat in the carb.

I once ran across a '50 Starlight that would flood at idle, but starved for fuel big-time at any kind of road speed. Turned out what had happened was the brass seat for the float needle had come loose in the carb cover, and backed off several turns, so that the float was effectively keeping the needle closed, even in the full-down position. The fuel pump pressure forced enough fuel past the outside of the float valve to make it flood at idle, but it couldn't pass enough fuel that way to make it run at 20 mph. The car would run strong until the fuel in the bowl was spent, then quit.

Thing is, several people had looked in the carb and missed this. It's NOT all that easy to see. Tipoff is the float doesn't have its normal range of free movement.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

stan zoerner
07-25-2007, 06:49 PM
I ,one time,{for several months] had a similar problem. could some prankster put cigerette filters in there? You might check all the fuel fiters and add a looksee at the cork float ,maybe pieces of that are gumming things up? Luck and perseverence..

52 Ragtop
07-25-2007, 10:23 PM
Sounds like my 62 ragtop a few weeks ago, vapor lock! Was it on a hot day? was it running fine? pulled in to get a burger, 10 miutes later problem came about?
Mine was due to fuel line too close to the engine and a weak fuel pump, well that's what I think it was, replaced the pump, and moved the fuel line, no more problem.

Jim