• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funny movie still with lots of questions

From easiest to hardest:

Who are these two guys?
    What is the Studebaker connection?
    What is the name of the film from which it was taken? When released?
    In what city was the photo taken?

There are clues.
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Laurel/Hardy I see a stude sign on one of the buildings/was Western Auto a 'stude wholesaler'? Looks like WB, probably 1933. Taken in LA. I have no idea what the film was

Comment

That's a short film from the late 20's (1929?) called liberty. It's been a long time since I've seen it, so I'm not a lot I'd use on the rest. Wasn't one of the bigger Gags that they had each others pants on?
      '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Here are my answers:

1. Laurel and Hardy.

2. Paul G. Hoffman Studebaker Wholesaler dealership. (Paul G. Hoffman would later become President of Studebaker.)

3. As said by Jim C., the movie is Liberty and is from 1929.

4. Los Angeles, CA.

Wasn't Mr. Hoffman's dealership located on Figueroa Street? If not this one, a later one?

Mr. Bill
        Hamlet, NC
        Last edited by Mr. Bill; 06-07-2012, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Yep, you guys have it. Some real film historians here (or Laurel and Hardy fans)!! The film is from 1929 and is of course a silent. The entire thing can be seen here:
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSPUjKbjcXg (and a very good copy)

As for Paul G. Hoffman he had 4-5 outlets in the Los Angeles area at the time.
          Richard Quinn

Comment

All mine were complete guessing. I did find this after I posted. Note: this title and info I found there is different?? Did they do 2 movies from the same 'shoot'? is says part 3

Here is a newly edited long version of Laurel and Hardy's WE FAW DOWN featuring deleted scenes, plus extra scenes, new inter-titles and a new score. Split in...
            Last edited by (S); 06-07-2012, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by (S) View Post
              All mine were complete guessing. I did find this after I posted. Note: this title and info I found there is different?? Did they do 2 movies from the same 'shoot'? is says part 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrpLA8ox6rU
              (S): You may be right. It's probably like some of the Three Stooges Shorts in which material was rehashed and used over and over throughout the years.

Mr. Bill
              Hamlet, NC

Comment

I think the street you can see is South Browdway ST and the other street behind the collumn is Olympic Blvd. Accross the street from the building with the Studebaker sign is the Los Angles Hearald Examiner building. I think it is still there today.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                  http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...g?t=1339093261

From easiest to hardest:

Who are these two guys?
                  What is the Studebaker connection?
                  What is the name of the film from which it was taken? When released?
                  In what city was the photo taken?

There are clues.
                  Dick, I remember from one of my visits with you that you are a keen fan of Laurel & Hardy yourself. Thanks for sharing that great photo.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
                  MELBOURNE.

Comment

My grandparents owned a video rental store back in the early 80's. When Blockbuster drove them out of business, they very literally filled their basement with hundreds upon hundreds of videos, many being old films, silents, and other great stuff from yesteryear. Much of my youth was spent watching Laurel and Hardy, the Three Stooges, and all the other great comedians that most kids don't know of today.
                    Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                    Yep, you guys have it. Some real film historians here (or Laurel and Hardy fans)!! The film is from 1929 and is of course a silent. The entire thing can be seen here:
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSPUjKbjcXg (and a very good copy)

As for Paul G. Hoffman he had 4-5 outlets in the Los Angeles area at the time.
                    Last edited by JimC; 06-07-2012, 07:24 PM.
                    '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Originally posted by HAWK64 View Post
                      Dick, I remember from one of my visits with you that you are a keen fan of Laurel & Hardy yourself. Thanks for sharing that great photo.

Yes, they were without doubt one of the greatest comedy team of all times and in real life very approachable. They lived modestly and had their telephone numbers listed in the L.A. phone book. I have a number of photos of them posed with Studebakers including the one above, a rare '32 President St Regis Brougham taken at the Hal Roach studios.
                      Richard Quinn

Comment

Working...
                      X