PDA

View Full Version : headlights going on and off

48stud
09-13-2006, 01:39 PM
LATELY I HAVE BEEN HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THE HEADLIGHTS ON MY 48 CHAMPION AFTER A PERIOD OF DRIVING THEY WILL GO ON AND OFF I CAN HEAR THE BREAKER POPPING I JUST PUT NEW SWITCH IN BUT DOESNT HELP CAN SOMEONE HELP?

CHAMP
09-13-2006, 02:44 PM
You either have a wire shorting out or lose ground. It probably a wire shorting out as a lose ground wouldn't cause the circut breaker to kick out.

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Roscomacaw
09-13-2006, 07:05 PM
It can also be just a tired circuit breaker. This does happen and they get weak and consequently will open up under less of a load than their rating says. OR, a dirty - rusty - or corroded connection AT the circuit breaker itself can cause heat and the heat is what causes the circuit breaker to open. It cools down a bit and resets itself only to get warm again and repeat the cycle.
Have you experimented to see if it's the same on hogh or low beam? One of the best things you can do for these 6volt cars is add a headlight relay. It's pretty easy to do and it takes the load off the HL switch and dimmer switch. I think I might have a new one or two still laying around in the shop. Might even have a good, used circuit breaker as well.[^]

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

48stud
09-13-2006, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the great info come to think of it I dont have hi and low beam its the same I just have replaced the dimmer switch could i have hooked up the wires wrong? or does it matter Iam the worst when it comes to understanding wiring also i dont have just parking lights by themselves also who does the headlight switch work the black knob and the gold (L) knob can you tell me what each position does sorry to be a pain with so many questions but its car show time and now i cant stay at the night ones:D

CHAMP
09-14-2006, 08:55 AM
The outer black part is for the lights. First notch clock-wise is parking lights, second notch clock-wise is headlights. The gold colored middle part is dash lights. First notch clockwise is low second notch is a little brighter. I usully run the dash-lights on second notch and that is really not bright as I would like them.

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Roscomacaw
09-15-2006, 07:54 PM
Are you saying that you have parking lites WITH the headlites on?

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

48stud
09-18-2006, 07:56 AM
YES THE PARKING LIGHTS DO COME ON WITH THE HEADLIGHTS

Roscomacaw
09-18-2006, 11:05 AM
The parking lites should go off when the headlites are on. It MIGHT be that the added load of the parking lites (both PL & HL feed from the same circuit breaker) is what's causing the CB to open up. Try removing the parking lite bulbs and see if the HL problem persists.
Of course, if someone's dinked around with the wiring or the way the circuits are attached to the components - who knows what might be the end results.[}:)]
In any event, adding the headlite relay I mentioned earlier, would provide you with brighter lites at night. That can't help but be a good thing.;)

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

wayne
09-18-2006, 05:53 PM
In the same vain what size relay do I look for? I tried bypassing the switch and my headlights got much brighter. We are driving it to Omaha so brighter lights sure would be nice. Thanks

N8N
09-18-2006, 06:59 PM
All about headlight relays here:

http://danielsternlighting.com/tech/relays/relays.html

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Roscomacaw
09-18-2006, 08:07 PM
Here's a couple of AMERICAN MADE NORS headlite relays that I happen to have here. These would be 6 volt and would control the low-beams to make them brighter.
Little decal on the cover says: "Jubilee Mfg. Co. OMAHA NEBR." !!! Geez, that OMAHA address ought to be worth the $20 apiece I want just in itself!

These look a bit, well, less than new - but they are new! They've just not been stored with care for the last 50 or 60 years. But I will test them before they leave here. $20 bucks gets one delivered to your doorstep via Priority Mail.[:0][:p]:D

http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/906179/2006/9/18/Relays.jpg

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

DilloCrafter
09-18-2006, 11:15 PM
48stud,

Read that link N8N (Nate) gave us. That's really well done information. I have added relays for both my low and high beams, the same hookup as in that article. But I DID use relays from Radio Shack (rated for automotive use, and can be triggered by as little as 6v, in case you are still on a 6volt system). These same basic little relay cubes are available at Advance Auto Parts, Autozone, and all the others. Just be sure the trigger voltage is 6v if that is your car's system. And they all use those same terminal numbers as in the Daniel Stern article.

It's pretty easy to do if you do it with care, as the article says. Don't rush, don't take shortcuts, make sure you understand everything before you do it, since electricity is not flexible nor is it forgiving. You will have the satisfaction of a mini-project well done, and MUCH brighter headlights.

http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Current_Avacar.gif[/img=left] - DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
[i]The Red-Headed Amazon
Deep in the heart of Texas