Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Progress on Avanti 2826

Hi Everyone,
    I've made some progress since acquiring the car in March. Brian Curtis installed new brakes. The car had "new" brakes, but after sitting for 10 years they were seized. Along with new brakes, new exhaust, dynamat to the floor and doors, new weather stripping, new gauges, new wiper motor, new master cylinder and prop valve, new Magnum 500 wheels & WW tires (215/70/15), stainless moldings polished, rear bumper installed, windshield installed (thanks Dick S. for the name of the installer), new KYB shocks and new power steering hoses. I'm almost ready to fire the engine for the first time. Seats and panels at the upholstery shop.
    I hope to drive the car out of the garage by the end of June. Here are a few pics of the work so far.
    Attached Files

Looking good Harvey. Are you not going to use a brake booster?
    JS
    I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Looking very nice! Keep the updates coming...Mike
      Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
      Fort Worth, TX

Comment

It's looking good .... My 63R-2386 is almost done, I'll be posting pictures soon. The engine has recently been cranked and run to break-in the cam shaft. We are a few weeks from her coming home.
        sigpic
        John
        63R-2386
        Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Looking terrific! I'm just a bit jealous!
          ~Matt Connor
          '59 Lark 2-door

Comment

Thanks for the compliments.

J.S. yes, Brian and I discussed power and decided to go with manual dual master.
            John, what was you procedure to break in the cam?

Comment

Originally posted by gs-xnr View Post
              John, what was you procedure to break in the cam?
              The oil pump was primed 1st by using a distributer shaft driven by an electric drill to primp the pump and pump oil around engine. The engine was then cranked and run at 2200 RPM for 20 minutes.
              sigpic
              John
              63R-2386
              Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Here are some update pictures from July 28th, 2012. Front & rear windshields installed, rear interior done, carpets starting to go down, driver seat installed, dash and instruments in and working properly, power windows in and working (almost properly!), trunk detailed with new carpet, engine & attachments done including new Toyota alternator. Have a PS fluid leak at the control valve which needs fixing but other than that all is well.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by gs-xnr; 08-02-2012, 04:46 PM.

Comment

To: gs-xnr,-----Your Avanti looks great! I like how You're addressing all the issues now that would probably 'haunt' You later on. Good luck with it!

Comment

Thank you. I agree, when new problems surface it is frustrating at times when I'm trying to get the car done. But as you say, better to get the little things out of the way now for hopefully trouble free driving in the future.
                    Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                    To: gs-xnr,-----Your Avanti looks great! I like how You're addressing all the issues now that would probably 'haunt' You later on. Good luck with it!

Comment

Update Augsust 19

Installed rebuilt control valve yesterday that cured PS leaking fluid problem. Just need a few interior details and wheel alignment and we'll be on the road.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Bumpers now installed. And driven for the first time in 19 years.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hey, Harvey, just cuz you got bumpers don't go bumping into things! Nice car, congratulations.

Comment

Working...
                          X