No announcement yet.

Need help, 55 Champion trunk adjustment & stainless trim below windshield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Need help, 55 Champion trunk adjustment & stainless trim below windshield

Thanks guys for looking, I am doing a driver quality paint job on my brother's 55 Champion more door. The car itself is really not bad for a mid-western car, 60K original miles and no rust-thru anywhere. I've got all the chrome off except for the pieces around the front windshield that are below the window frame. Do I take the dash apart to get at some screws or will it pop off? I've noticed several styles of trim clips on this car. Also, it appears the left trunk hinge was replaced at some time (it's blue, not green) and that side sticks up (as you can see the pass. side fits nicely). Do I take out the back seat, loosen the hinge and push the lid into position & tighten? Thanks in advance!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 50Ragtop; 06-05-2012, 06:28 PM. Reason: english

I'm tearing down a 55 Champion 4 door right now for parts.
    There is a screw at the door jamb at the end of the stainless behind the weatherstrip. A nut at the other end next to the wiper shaft accessible from under the dash.
    THEN there is a clip screwed on from the outside under the stainless about midway on the piece.
    If you have the dash removed there is a hole that you can stick your finger in and feel the tip of the screw.
    Remove the screw and nut, this frees the stainless, then carefully pry with a plastic or metal putty knife from the underside of the strip. It will snap off of the center clip. The clip can then be unscrewed.
    Disassembling this parts car is good practice for me when I get ready to repaint my 55 President.
    Found out how to correctly remove pieces without learning on the good car.
    South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Working...
    X