Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Are Folks Cleaning Their Tools With?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: What Are Folks Cleaning Their Tools With?

Hi All,

At the end of the day, sockets and ratchets - all tools really - accumulate a lot of greasy dirt that a rag doesn't always remove. I got out of the automotive trade back in 1975 and since getting into this classic car hobby nearly a year ago and starting to reaquire all of that gear that I'd given away or sold nearly forty years ago I've been meaning to ask folks this question but it kept slipping my mind - what do folks clean their tools with these days?

Back then, at the end of the day one would swish one's tools around in a bucket with a little gasoline or kerosene in to dissolve any grease or oil and dislodge the dirt; and then wipe them down with a rag. The fumes were nasty and unsafe and I'm not sure that the raw gas or kerosene was all that good for the tools either. Has any new high tech stuff been developed that is non-flammable, non-toxic - maybe vegetable based or something like that?
    Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
    Kenmore, Washington
    hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
    '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
    '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
    '69 Pontiac Firebird
    (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

When I was a bachelor and living in an apartment, I used to run them through the dishwasher. I was told later by an appliance repairman that the automotive oil is not compatible with the seals in the dishwasher and will destroy it. Now that I own my own home I don't do that. I just never let them get too dirty by wiping often. Neal

Comment

Originally posted by hausdok View Post
      Hi All,

At the end of the day, sockets and ratchets - all tools really - accumulate a lot of greasy dirt that a rag doesn't always remove. I got out of the automotive trade back in 1975 and since getting into this classic car hobby nearly a year ago and starting to reaquire all of that gear that I'd given away or sold nearly forty years ago I've been meaning to ask folks this question but it kept slipping my mind - what do folks clean their tools with these days?

Back then, at the end of the day one would swish one's tools around in a bucket with a little gasoline or kerosene in to dissolve any grease or oil and dislodge the dirt; and then wipe them down with a rag. The fumes were nasty and unsafe and I'm not sure that the raw gas or kerosene was all that good for the tools either. Has any new high tech stuff been developed that is non-flammable, non-toxic - maybe vegetable based or something like that?
      When I was in the Navy we used to wash our tools with something called "Simple Green". Looks like it is still sold (just type it into google). I have just been using shop rags to wipe mine down before I put them away.
      sigpic
      1961 Flamingo Studebaker Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by R_David View Post
        When I was in the Navy we used to wash our tools with something called "Simple Green". Looks like it is still sold (just type it into google). I have just been using shop rags to wipe mine down before I put them away.
        It IS still around, you can pick it up at almost any automotive store (at least where I live you can). I believe you can get it at Walmart too. I personally use a bucket of warm soapy water, regular dawn dishwashing soap, once dried off putting a light coat of WD-40 on my wrenches... As far as my ratchets go, I try not to submerse them in water, just clean those off with a rag as best as I can.
        Current projects: '56 Stude Power Hawk

Future projects: '56 Stude Sky Hawk ; '68 Buick Electra 225 ; '53 International R-110 P/U

Comment

If "brake clean" doesn't do it, a quick wash in "laquer thinner" always will.
          I use laquer thinner for most all of my cleaning. Quick, no residue left behind, evaporates quickly.

Mike

Comment

Clean my tools

If you have access to a parts washer (safety kleen machine etc.) that is what I wash them with and scrub the heavy stuff out with a stiff parts cleaning brush. Then I just wipe them down with any cloth or paper towel. Always leaves them clean and rady to go next time.

Comment

I use a product called Awesome, sold at most dollar stores for a dollar.

Comment

Be careful with Brakeleen as it will destroy plastic handles on screwdrivers, etc.

Comment

Kerosene is still relatively cheap and won't light easily.(As compared to acetone, laquer thinner or brake cleaner)

Comment

Don't usually need to clean tools often, but if I do, I spray down the tool with WD-40 and wipe "dry" with a shop rag. I don't think you want any bare unplated steel surfaces too clean or they rust from humidity. The WD-40 is oily enough to prevent that.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Use WD-40 here also and have for many years.
                      Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
                      Fort Worth, TX

Comment

Me, I usually just wipe down the outer surfaces of the tools with a shop rag or paper towel, so my hands won't get dirty from taking them out of the toolbox. If sockets get a buildup of greasy crud on the inside, I wash them in the solvent tank with a brush, and blow them dry with compressed air. I wouldn't want to immerse ratchets in solvent, as it might degrade the lubricant inside them.
                        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I have used paint thinner for cleaning anything greasy. It tends not to evaporate quickly like brake cleaner. Sadly, about 5 years ago it was $2.19 a gallon. Now it is $10-$12 a gallon. Our city is big on toxic waste recycling. When I go to dump off my used oil etc. I scan the "re-use table" for paint thinner and other cleaning solvents.

Tom
                          '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

I've always cleaned My tool with soap and water!

Comment

A buddy of mine uses carb cleaner.He also has to be smoking a cigarette for the full effect, lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X