Stude Hawk Follies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stude Hawk Follies

In a recent post I asked if anything else was going to go wrong with my Hawk well,... a couple of weeks ago there were some strange sounds coming from the transmission.

I pulled the 4.55:1 ratio differential today to swap in my 3.54:1 posi. My transmission is leaking like a sieve and have a spare on the ground so it's going in. I thought the noise may have been the flex plate, so after removing the starter and removing the inspection plate, all appears to be Okay.

Something is going on in the transmission. I notice after my last drive in the Hawk that there was a mist of transmission oil across the bumper and rear deck lid.

After removing the torque convertor inspection plate, I notice alot of motor oil , so the rear main seal is leaking too so, at this point I may as well pull the oil pan and fix that leak as well. When I get to that I sure would like some advise on how to fix a rear main for longer than a year or so.

I now have the transmission out, and the differential, exhaust system and the Hawk is 18" in the air. Next step is to blow out the transmission cooler and start putting her back together.

I'm trying to remember this is my hobby but sure feels like a job.

Allen
    1964 GT Hawk
    PSMCDR 2014
    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
    PSMCDR 2013
    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

When a Stude needs the various things that You mention to 'make it right', it sure is nice to lift the engine and trans out of the car as a unit, and deal with it in 'comfort', so to speak.

Comment

I do sympathize with you, Allen.

In addition to the 5 daily drivers in our family, I have 3 Studebakers up, running and insured. I have a Cutlass convertible in the barn, running and safty-able. And I've got a bunch more that should be up and running. It seems like I am always running out of time. Thank goodness I'm not into trophies - I usually don't have time to even wash them before a cruise.

Comment

If you can wait a couple of years, I'll retire and help both of you (lol).
        Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
          When a Stude needs the various things that You mention to 'make it right', it sure is nice to lift the engine and trans out of the car as a unit, and deal with it in 'comfort', so to speak.
          I considered it but my Hawk is supercharged and there are a lot of items that have to be removed prior to pulling it as a complete unit. If the flex plate had been broken that's exactly what i would have done. I use my floor jack with two different jigs that I have made to pull the differential and transmission with ease. I just pump it up and pull it out from under the car. Pulling the differential takes about 2 hours by the time you remove the emergency brake cables, traction bars, swaybar mounts and rear spring shackle. As for the transmission it's about the same time once the exhaust is out and batwing.

The new transmission is going in this morning just after I fill the torque convertor again. I am hoping to have it all back together by tomorrow but would like to tackle that rear main seal which may take me a while longer.

Paul - Keeping ONE Studebaker on the road is work enough but then again I drive the crap out of this car and it serves me right to be working on it all the time. Guess it is all part of the hobby.

Allen
          1964 GT Hawk
          PSMCDR 2014
          PSMCDR 2013

Victoria, Canada

Comment

I feel for you Allan as I replaced every seal in my GT in the last 10yrs. & nearly all are leaking or weeping again & I sure get tired of beating my head against a wall

trying to stop the leakes.I've heard stories that Studebaker wouldn't release the cars to sell if they wern't rusting or leaking, my transmission has leaked since day one

& I've had it out for new seals 2X Especially where the filler tube goes into the bottom pan.Betwen the leaks & lousey MPG,getting fed up with it.

Comment

Transmission Install

I struggled with the new transmission all day and it still not installed. I can't seem to get it in the last 5/8". I'm just worn out from it. I will try again in the morning if unsuccessful I will pull the engine and install it in one piece. I made up 4 bolts with the heads cut off and slotted the ends to remove them with a screw driver. Maybe 4 bolts is not giving me the play that I need to get it in all the way. Tomorrow I will try with just the top two bolts and if that does not work,... well I'll be in the shop for a few more days.

Allen
              1964 GT Hawk
              PSMCDR 2014
              PSMCDR 2013

Victoria, Canada

Comment

That last 5/8" is from the converter not engaging the tangs on the trans pump. Rotate the engine crank a few degrees to align the tangs up. Once it lines up it will pop right in. (tom c)
                Start and Stage Your Studebakers

Comment

Originally posted by 11SecAvanti View Post
                  That last 5/8" is from the converter not engaging the tangs on the trans pump. Rotate the engine crank a few degrees to align the tangs up. Once it lines up it will pop right in. (tom c)
                  Tom,

I have the torque convertor tangs at a North and South orientation, and the transmission pump tangs at East and West orientation. The last time I did this it just popped into place, I just am at my wits end. Tomorrow is another day

Allen
                  1964 GT Hawk
                  PSMCDR 2014
                  PSMCDR 2013

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Sometimes you just have to come back with a fresh attitude. I struggled again this morning for about an hour trying to wiggle that tranny into place using only the top two bolts as a guide. No luck. I attached a rope to the wheels of my floor jack that is supporting the transmission, ask my neighbor to come over and apply some pressure by pulling on the rope and she popped right into place with another wiggle. Moving on to installing the 3.54:1 differential to get my Hawk back on the road for the weekend.

Allen
                    1964 GT Hawk
                    PSMCDR 2014
                    PSMCDR 2013

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Follies Update

It was pouring rain here this morning and could not get motivated to get out to the shop to finish things off.

As the afternoon cleared, I made my way out to bleed the rear brakes after installing the 3.54: 1 TT differential yesterday. I just have the left bank of exhaust to install, throw in the starter, tighten up the emergency brake line, and fill the new transmission with oil. I figure I will be done in an hour or two and have the Hawk back on the road for a nice afternoon cruise up to a pool party.

Tomorrow is expected to be around 85 degree and full sun. Just in time for a really nice day out in the Hawk!

Allen
                      1964 GT Hawk
                      PSMCDR 2014
                      PSMCDR 2013

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by studebaker-R2-4-me View Post

I figure I will be done in an hour or two and have the Hawk back on the road for a nice afternoon cruise up to a pool party.

Allen
                        Nothing goes as planned but I finally finished off the repairs on the the Hawk by 1:30 am. My universal joint was shot, with many needle bearing broken within the mechanic joint.

Where do you get one of those at 7:30 Saturday night? I figured the Lark was out of commission so let's steal a mechanic universal out of it. I jack it up and sure enough it's a spicer joint. Crap! better go to plan B be if I'm taking that Hawk out for a spin tomorrow.

I phone up a buddy in a few towns west of me and asked him if he had one. After some careful measuring, He found 3 used one's in his stash, so off I went to get one. I got back around 10:30 pm and went back to work. I had to take the entire u-joint apart and wash all the needle bearings and set all the needles back into the cups. Well I don't know how many I lost on the shop floor but my floor magnet found them pretty easily. I got the drive shaft in and that was an accomplishment, I thought I was going to be screwed on that u-joint.

Last but not least, I had to fix a broken HD sway bar bracket. It seems Dave T-Bow HD sway bar is so stiff it broke a bracket off , left the part of the clip that bolts to the bottom a-arm along with the bolt, so sent me a new one a couple of weeks ago, I have to say Dave is a gentleman and one good vendor.

It's going to be a beautiful day tomorrow and I am finally pretty excited to finally take my Hawk on the expressway once again. Looking forward to taking that on-ramp onto the Highway and giving that big sway bar a tryout.

Have a good day all, and you get your Studebaker out for a Sunday drive,

Allen
                        Last edited by studebaker-R2-4-me; 06-09-2012, 10:00 PM.
                        1964 GT Hawk
                        PSMCDR 2014
                        PSMCDR 2013

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Working...
                        X