5 speed overdrive transmision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 speed overdrive transmision

Hi I bought a 1964 champ pickup it is not running .I was told it has a 5 speed overdrive trans in it. can any one tell me what to look for to identify that it is a 5 speed or a 4 speed and what is the shift pattern ? the id # is e12-6450 Thanks Lynn

Hello there

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...64-Champ-Stude

Seems to be a rare option.
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the link but I still dont know how to tell if it is a 4 speed or a 5 speed I look under the truck today the trans is larger than the trans in my 49 1 1/2 ton the one in the champ has a large hump on top next to the speedo drive if it is a 5 speed the shift pat. must real close if 5 is between 3rd & rev Thanks R L

Comment

5 speed od

The pattern would be accross the top 1 2 5 r accross the bottom 3 4 . hope that makes sense.

Comment

It's pretty simple, just shift it though all 4 gates to all of the gears, if you count 6 it's a FIVE Speed.

If there are only 3 gates and 5 Gears it's a FOUR Speed.

As oltrknut said, the Forward Gears are 1,2,5,R the rearward gears are 3 and 4 left to right.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

5 speed

I was told when I bought it that it was 5 speed overdrive if it is the gate 5 and R must be close to each other .I am thinking it is a 4 speed is there any one that has a photo of a 5 speed ? the truck is not running so i cant tell for sure what gear it is in the truck is heavy duty with 8 lug 16in wheels and 289 eng Thanks for your help RL elder

Comment

My Champ has a tag on the right hand side under the 2 side bolts facing the front on the side plate (P.T.O. cover). The top line reads 1687659 & SO 12. I believe the SO 12 is the code for the 5 speed overdrive. See if yours has the same code. The 1687659 is the part# for a 5 speed overdrive. 5 speed w/o overdrive have the code SD for direct drive while the overdrive trans has the code SO. Hope this helps!
              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
              64 Zip Van
              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Thanks for the info. I will check it out and post what I find R L Elder

Comment

Working...
                X