• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64 Champ ˝ ton V8 “four speed” info, please

Dick
    Mountain Home, AR
    http://www.livingintheozarks.com/studebaker2.htm

I have one. It has 259 and the 4sp has a granny gear along with about a 4:10 rear ratio. High gear is direct drive. I have only driven around the place but I don't think I would want to take it on the hiway very far. My lark with the three speed and 4:10 would travel on the hiway but the overdrive was really a nessecity.
    Rob

Comment

The od should cruise better at highway speeds than the 4 speed. The 4 speed will pull better. Is the trans from a 6 cylinder truck or a V-8? Also double check that the input shaft will work with your engine. I recall seeing posts here in the past that indicate the 64 used the same trans V-8 or 6 cylinder but earlier years did not. You might need the 64 flywheel and possibly the bellhousing also. Good Luck, Steve

My truck is 289 4 speed but has a brand X rear. It cruises very nicely on the highway and pulls like a farm tractor. I THINK my rear is from a Chevy but dont know what Chevy.
      Last edited by wolfie; 06-03-2012, 12:51 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

Definitely set up for the farm. The standard rear axle ratio for the '64 E5 4-speed is 4.27. That means the Champ will be turning uncomfortably fast at 65 MPH. Depending on tire size, figure approx 3500 RPMs. Gets real noisy, real old, real fast.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

At 65 - heck AT 55 - you'll feel like you're still in second gear. Not fun.
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

That's pretty much what i thought. I'm not up to changing a trans and rear axle.
            Here's the for sale link if anyone might be interested.

Thanks,
            Dick

Dick
            Mountain Home, AR
            http://www.livingintheozarks.com/studebaker2.htm

Comment

Working...
            X