Excalibur Hawk by Brooks Stevens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excalibur Hawk by Brooks Stevens

This is the one-off racing car developed by Brooks Stevens in 1963. It was powered by the Studebaker R2 engine and ran at the Pabst 500 at Road America in 1963-64-65. It had a reported top speed of 165 mph. The photo was taken at a meet in Highland Park, Illinois on 8-25-06 where it was being shown by Brooks Stevens' son Tony. As far as I know it is still in the Stevens family.
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

The upper fender lines and 'nose' panel of the car remind Me of the '68-'82 Corvette. But of course that's impossible, because we all know GM would never borrow someone else's ideas!

Comment

Studebaker/Brooks Stevens did the borrowing on this one as I'm pretty sure it was built using a modified Corvette chassis.

Regardless, I'd drive the spokes of it!

Comment

I was expecting one of those Ugly Excaliburs, this car looks sweet. The windshield looks like a rear window out of something. Also notice the GT Hawk red white and blue emblem, and the Sheba wheels <G>.
        Last edited by clonelark; 06-02-2012, 04:05 AM.
        101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

The front windshield looks Avanti rear windshield like.

Comment

Originally posted by wcarroll@outrageous.net View Post
            Studebaker/Brooks Stevens did the borrowing on this one as I'm pretty sure it was built using a modified Corvette chassis.

How could Studebaker/Brooks Stevens do the 'borrowing'?? The Excalibur Hawk was built six years before the 3rd generation Corvette. (On the front end design)

Comment

Originally posted by clonelark View Post
              I was expecting one of those Ugly Excaliburs, this car looks sweet. The windshield looks like a rear window out of something. Also notice the GT Hawk red white and blue emblem, and the Sheba wheels <G>.
              My, what good eyes you have! <G>
              sigpic
              Dave Lester

Comment

I never said they used a 3rd Generation Corvette chassis.

I also believe the car was technically built in '62.

We have discussed it here on the forum in he past.

The car has been of interest to me since seeing a picture of it as a kid. Something about the red/white/blue color scheme and the wings. I guess you could say it looks almost Super Hero-ish in a way. I imagined driving it wearing a hawk feathered cape and beaked mask

Comment

To: wcarroll@outrageous.net,---- I was discussing the front end design similarities to the 3rd gen. Corvettes, (in My opinion), not the chassis.

Comment

That really is one cool car !
                    I showed it to my wife who is also a 63 model and she agreed is was nice,...
                    Then she quickly said it was aerodynamically designed and built for speed just like she is.

WOMEN !?!

Dean.

Comment

More on this one-off car was published in Avanti Magazine Fall/Winter 2009, Issue #148.

Lew Schucart
                      Editor, Avanti Magazine

Comment

That sort of reminds me of a Shelby Daytona Coupe.
                        Chris Dresbach

Comment

I truly was a cool time for one off sports cars.
                          Good Roads
                          Brian
                          Brian Woods
                          woodysrods@shaw.ca
                          1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Originally posted by wcarroll@outrageous.net View Post

It was not built on a Chevrolet (Corvette) chassis. Even the "regular" Excaliburs were not on Chevrolet chassis until the Series II (1970).
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The source of my information could be very well be wrong as there seems to be are a lot of differing descriptions/accounts as to what components were used to build the early Excalibur cars.

I have no interest in getting into a pissing match over the details. I only stated what I read from a published source in response to SN60's statement about "borrowing" from the Corvette.

Here's one of the older discussions we had about it with input from someone who has first hand knowledge of the car. Even he is unsure of the origin of some of the original components.

Comment

Working...
                              X