Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

From the archives #107 (Brooks Stevens color art - 1963 Splendida)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From the archives #107 (Brooks Stevens color art - 1963 Splendida)

This car was actually built. It was apparently a Brooks Stevens proposed replacement for the Cruiser.
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Neat car. I think Craig Parslow has photos of the built car.
    Chris Dresbach

Comment

This is the actual "one off." Note the front end treatment which appears on all of the Stevens drawings of the '63 line. Also note that the "ear muff" and windshield differs from the car shown in the art work. I do not have any other information on this particular car (which Stevens referred to as the Lark Splendida) but it is certain that a good deal of money was spent to create it in its finished form. We can only guess as to its ultimate fate.
      Last edited by Studebaker Wheel; 06-01-2012, 09:25 PM.
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

The eyebrow headlights would have killed the Bonneville speed time. Like the door handles. and the hood treatment.
        101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

It kind of reminds me of what Chrysler/Plymouth did in '76 when they came out with the Valiant Brougham 4dr. A very nice car, and the last of that body style (A bodies)

Comment

The prominent central grille treatment seems similar to the '61 Imperial.

Comment

Also notice the very tall windshield that actually wraps into the roof header.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

That front styling would look great on a Champ pickup!
                sigpic
                In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Well, not that anybody asked, but here is my opinion...

I wish Studebaker could have found a few extra bucks and come out with the front end design pictured. is it better than the production '63's? Well, at least it looks different than the '62's, and I think that was one of the problems with the '63 Lark line-up. When you think about it, the '63's really were extensively changed from the '62's. All new center section, new windshields, cowls, hidden "B" pillers, on four doors, new dash, new two piece doors, etc. Yet, they looked to the general pubic the same as the 1962's as the front and rear clips were nearly identical. I think the proposed front end pictured in this thread would have helped the image that the 1963's where really NEW cars!
                  Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
                  \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

I agree with Eric. The front end of this proposal looks like it shared the same hood & fenders as the 62. To me the grille looks like it was taken from a 60 Pontiac-too much alike. The heavy hoods on the headlamps detract from the side view. I've seen the parking light location on another prototype that I believe was shown to the dealers before intoduction & understand that treatment was shot down, otherwise that car was the same as what was offered. I do like the windshield, the way it rolls into the roof. Studebaker wasted tooling on that part of the 63 when it was changed again on the 64 except on the wagon & convertible which stayed with the 63 design. More stampings & jigs to have contributing to more expense & a higher break even point. Notice also this prototype has the old style wipers & not the paralell wipers that thankfully the 63 did have. I like the looks of the rear view mirror but wonder if it would suffer from the same lack of vision that the Avanti had. The door handles are a nice modern touch too along with the lower moulding just above the rocker giving it a lower & longer look- I would have added a bit more length to them wrapping into the wheel opening permitting the area below them to be painted flat black adding to the lower look.
                    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                    64 Zip Van
                    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

About the eyebrow lights versus production (really, that much of a difference in speed?) didn't an early 60s Imperial have a get around that by having a clear flat plastic cover over the headlights, with little thin white horizontal lines on it (and it flipped open?? when the headlights were on??? like the 80s Chrysler products did but with solid covers by then)

Still, it was a Cruiser replacement, not an F2 body or C/K or Avanti normally seen at Bonnyville.

I'm a sick enough puppy that I like the idea of 'drag races' involving Land Cruisers or Cruisers or Splendidas towing house trailers! (real life fun--and the AC must be on)

Comment

Brooks Stevens, as we would all agree, was a brilliant designer. I love the front end on that car. Very elegant.
                        Thanks Richard. You have a treasure-trove of Studebaker photos. Your contribution to our Studebaker knowledge
                        is most appreciated.
                        Rog
                        '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                        Smithtown,NY
                        Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

I'll buck the trend here and say I really do not care for the front end of this car. To me it looks way to heavy for a car of this size. Very bulky looking. I guess "over done" best describes the way I look at it. As others have said it looks like a copy of other cars already in production at the time -- Imperial, Pontiac, etc.
                          Joe Roberts
                          '61 R1 Champ
                          '65 Cruiser
                          Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Love that car. Nothing about that car negative to me.

Park that one in my garage. I'll pay the owner. cheers jimmijimQUOTE=JRoberts;651395]I'll buck the trend here and say I really do not care for the front end of this car. To me it looks way to heavy for a car of this size. Very bulky looking. I guess "over done" best describes the way I look at it. As others have said it looks like a copy of other cars already in production at the time -- Imperial, Pontiac, etc.[/QUOTE]
                            sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

I like the way the stainless side trim integrates the door handles on the one off. Maybe that's where the idea started for the 64-65 stainless. It kinda hides the fact that its a 4 door a little. Then in 66 they thru it away. I really like the 64-65 trim.
                              My 1st car. "A TRANSTAR"

Starliner
                              sigpic
                              Somewhere between Culture and Agriculture
                              in the Geographic center of Tennessee

Comment

Working...
                              X