PDA

View Full Version : My Lark runs like a Ford.....Help....Please

58PackardWagon
07-14-2007, 11:16 PM
Once my Lark goes out on a trip (about 4 miles) when I get to a stop sign it stalls and run rough. The dwell is at 45 degrees at 600 rpm. Timing is on. I checked in the dark and no spark with the plug wires. Battery and generator are good. Oil pressure is fine. New carb, new intake manifold and exhaust manifold, along with a new heat riser (stuck heat riser was problem #1). When it stalls at a complete stop, it starts out ok. Once I am moving it runs very well. The only thing I can think of is that it has a fuel pump on the motor which is working well and it has an electric fuel pump. I disconnected the electric one. Would this be restricting fuel enough at an idle for it to stall out or should I be going in a different direction? Should I check the compression? Please advise your thoughts. It is a 62 Lark with a 6 cyl and an automatic. Thank you.

58 Packard Wagon (Parade Red)
58 Packard Wagon (Park Green)
58 Packard Hardtop
58 Packard Sedan
57 Packard Wagon
62 Daytona
63 Lark Custom 2 Door Sedan R2

StudeRich
07-15-2007, 01:49 PM
I am no expert on electric fuel pumps because I will not use them, however it seems to me that the valving in the electric pump could restrict or stop the flow, if you only disconnected the wires and did not take it out of the fuel line.

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

curt
07-15-2007, 10:23 PM
I have had electric pumpS and they never caused a fuel feed problem when the pump was not running. I used the electric pump for cold starts and then shut it down. I go with 'junk' in the fuel line or tank. As the car runs the 'junk' is sucked tighter restricting fuel flow. After sitting the 'junk' will become less compact ( no moving fuel pulling it tighter ). Again your problem has not been diagnosed as a fuel problem.

Roscomacaw
07-15-2007, 10:48 PM
Three suggestions:

Vacuum leak??? Such that it only shows itself once the car warms and a gap develops?

Idle circuit in the carb screwed up - only shows itself once the automatic choke opens up and makes the idle circuit reveal it's problem.

Try running it with the gas cap loose. Wrong cap can cause a vacuum to develop in the tank - although this would probably effect high-speed running as well.

I think having an inactive electric pump in-line COULD cause problems, BUT it would depend on the ty pe of inner working of a given electric pump as to whether or not it would impede fuel flow. Further, if it WAS causing a problem, you'd think it would only be worse at speed.

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle
http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/906179/2006/12/7/truckonhill3.jpg

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

58PackardWagon
07-17-2007, 04:07 PM
While I blew a chunk out of the vacuum line, it did not fix it. Took it to a mechanic. He put it on a machine and it looks like it needs a valve job.