1939 Studebaker ambulance engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 1939 Studebaker ambulance engine

Working on this car and the original engine has a huge hole in the side of the block. Have a six cylinder engine from a '64 Champ available. My question is; how much trouble can we expect when making this change? We have both transmissions so we can use either one. Thanks
    David

My mind wandered a bit. It is a hearse - not an ambulance.
    Last edited by David56j; 06-01-2012, 03:45 PM.
    '49 2R15 Flatbed
    '56 Golden Hawk
    '62 GT Hawk
    '63 Champ 8E 12
    sigpic

What series/model is the hearse? I would assume that it has a big six or a straight eight, not a 170 cubic inch six as the '64 Champ engine is.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I would think you would have much less trouble finding a replacement for the engine than making the changes necessary to install the 170; not to mention the fact that that little engine would serve little more than to run the vehicle through a slow parade.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by David56j View Post
        Working on this car and the original engine has a huge hole in the side of the block. Have a six cylinder engine from a '64 Champ available. My question is; how much trouble can we expect when making this change? We have both transmissions so we can use either one. Thanks
        David

My mind wandered a bit. It is a hearse - not an ambulance.
        Is this the car mentioned in this post on the Hudson Forum ? (yellow 39 Studebaker Hearse)
        64 Champ long bed V8
        55/53 Studebaker President S/R
        53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

The car is based on a 1939 Commander six. The reason for the question about the Champ engine is because it is available. Good point about the power tho.
          kdancy, I could not get the link to work but this car has not been listed for sale. Thanks
          David
          '49 2R15 Flatbed
          '56 Golden Hawk
          '62 GT Hawk
          '63 Champ 8E 12
          sigpic

Comment

I don't think you really want to do that. I don't believe anything between a "Big Six" and the "Champ Six" will interchange; mounts, linkage (accelerator/shifter), drive shaft, clutch mechanism, etc... Your best bet would be to find a later 245 (bearing inserts as opposed to babbit) and put it in. MHO, but I really don't think you'll like the results of downsizing to the "Under" six unless you spent lots of money on one to get a bit more horse power.
            Bo

Comment

I have to go with Bo and the others here. A 49 and newer Commander six (49-50 in cars and 49-60 in trucks) will be more or less of a bolt - in job, will utilize all of the existing accessories and peripherals, will look right, will act right and even provide slightly more power, while not taxing the existing components any.

The small six won't do the job, won't fit and will be almost as much work and putting in a brand X engine. It may look and sound like a good idea because you have access to one, but it's a terrible idea for execution and for the ultimate driveability of the car. The small six is a totally different engine/block/casting from the big six, not to mention that this one is an overhead valve engine also.
              Last edited by RadioRoy; 06-03-2012, 09:44 AM.
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Thanks to all for the info. I have passed the info to the owner and he agrees that it isn't a good idea. David
                '49 2R15 Flatbed
                '56 Golden Hawk
                '62 GT Hawk
                '63 Champ 8E 12
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X