53 Starliner Production Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 53 Starliner Production Issue

The build order being written AFTER the Production date definately tells you something is odd for sure.
    Maybe it was one of the "Production Modified" cars then.

They normally did not build them BEFORE they were ordered.

How is your Hood to Grille and Hood to Cowl fit looking?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Your assumptions may well be the case. They sound plausible. However, unless so noted on the PO, I don't know how you'd confirm anything.
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Is the roof seam behind the rear quarter windows leaded? Early production cars were not. Could be a clue.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I'll be better able to tell you the hood to grille and cowl fit after this week-end. That is the last step before paint. Thanks for your reply. Tom

Comment

The roof seam behind the rear quarter window is not leaded. Thanks for your input. Tom

Comment

Originally posted by TMJ View Post
              53 Studebaker Starliner

Since it appears that the build sheet is correct, my quandary is whether, because of the known production problems Studebaker had with this model, an unknown number of cars, mine included, were pre production hand assembled to check and perfect the fit. Perhaps they had a number of bodies made and when the front clip wouldn’t fit on, they obviously went about redesigning the attachment. They then used selected bodies to get it right before full production. I was told that American Motors did this with their new Rambler. Any input or opinions would be appreciated.
              What you are talking about is called a beta or pre-production build now a days. They are also sometimes referred to as pilot cars. Hemming's Muscle Machines had a good article about these "pilot cars" a few years back.

Nick

Comment

On a tour of the GM plant in Linden, N.J. July 65 I saw a couple of cars that were put on the side of the line that had a purple dye on the sheet metal. They were pilot production cars for the 66's. Studebaker was no different, especially with an all new body for that year.
                59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                64 Zip Van
                66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I wonder if you (well, the museum, actually) could look up a few adjacent body/serial numbers and see when their production dates were indicated on the build sheets. They couldn't have made a whole lot of pre-production cars, so I'd imagine if you looked at numbers around yours, you'd eventually come to an answer.
                  '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

I agree that the car was probably built in February. According to factory information I have, there were 3184 cars built in the South Bend plant in January '53, but the ending serial number for that month was 1200685.
                    Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Does your car have the two piece package shelf cover or no cover or a one piece cover?
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I think that your car finished build between Feb. 1 and Feb. 5.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                          Does your car have the two piece package shelf cover or no cover or a one piece cover?
                          Wouldn't narrow much down. The package shelf change was much later than the leaded roof seam. My '53 assembly date of 4/30/53 had a naked steel package shelf and upholstered filler strip between the seat and shelf.
                          I'm liking your early February dates.
                          Brad Johnson,
                          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Do your front fenders show any evidence of patch-welding at the headlight openings, and leaded smooth on the exposed outside area? E.T. Reynolds Sr. mentioned several years ago, that was a common problem encountered on early-production C-K models.

Craig

Comment

Is the roof seam behind the rear quarter windows leaded? Early production cars were not. Could be a clue.
                              I once saw a early C body where in addition to the C pillar seam as mentioned, the horizontal seam near/aft the base of the C pillar where the trunk panels meet the deck panel was also not leaded in. Ugly exposed groove with a lap joint and spot welds. Wonder what ended up happening to that car. A guy south of minneapolis had it and a '60 hawk shell. The '53 C was a Champion and rather rusty but complete. The hawk was only a shell but but solid. This was in 1994 and the pair were going to be going up for sale.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Working...
                              X