5 speed bolted up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 speed bolted up

The brother finally got the T-5 transmission bolted into his 57 Transtar. Lots of starts and stops along the way as well as some engine work and paint touch up. He still has the driveshaft, trans cover and speedometer cable to install. The shifter may have to be modified too, but we'll see how things fit with the seat back in. Oh, the carpet will have to be modified too. Lots of details to make it all look right.
    He is frustrated because everything seems to take 3 times longer than it should. I told him that was normal for me. We both are anxious to see how the truck drives with the new tranny.

Last edited by 52-fan; 05-31-2012, 03:28 PM. Reason: add picture
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

nice!!!

3 times longer? i wish! for me, it's usually at least twice that...
    Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

I know the feeling. Trip to South bend is getting closer but the Teardrop Sleeper Trailer for two is not.
      Good Roads
      Brian
      Brian Woods
      woodysrods@shaw.ca
      1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Originally posted by Corvanti View Post
        nice!!!

3 times longer? i wish! for me, it's usually at least twice that...
        I guess the reason it is only 3 times longer is that I learned a long time ago to be conservative on how long a job would take anyway. It is amazing how often a critical part seems to have walked away or some bolt won't go back where it belongs.
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

Where did you get the bellhousing? custom made?
          sigpic
          1961 Flamingo Studebaker Hawk

Comment

He bought a truck bell housing with the larger face and redrilled it for the T5 bolt pattern. On this particular housing the center hole was not quite large enough for the bearing retainer on the tranny. I understand that some are larger. Since the bearing retainer could not be turned down small enough, he had the hole enlarged by a machinist here. The guy didn't even charge him.

Last edited by 52-fan; 06-01-2012, 06:15 PM.
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

What did the 5 spd come from? S10, Ranger or F150?
              What clutch dics and pressure plate were used?

Comment

You will have to check the casting number on the housing, but I think that is a 6 cylinder housing. They have a 4 1/4" hole, whereas the V8 used a 4.680" register. I have even seen some truck housings with other register diameters.

Comment

Joe could have used the bell housing that was already in his truck, but he wanted to get everything ready before tearing it down. The bell housing is one he bought somewhere, origin unknown.
                  This particular transmission is out of an S10. If the low 1st gear is a problem, he has a transmission out of a Camaro and we could swap the tailshafts. The 4 speed had a granny low that was pretty much unused so that may not be a problem. The overdrive was the main thing he was after.
                  The clutch disc was sourced through O'Rielly, but he had to do some searching to find one without a pressure plate included.
                  He replaced the tall truck 4 speed transmission cover with a lower one he bought in Kansas. That also allowed him to reposition the hole without having to close up the old hole. Looks good so far.

He still does not have a driveshaft, but we found out that the yoke for a 350 Turbo will work, so there should be lots around.
                  Last edited by 52-fan; 06-09-2012, 03:48 PM. Reason: Added pictures
                  Searcy, Arkansas
                  1952 2R pickup

Comment

Hope he dialed in the new bell housing.
                    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

We dialed it in with little trouble. After hearing the tales of how long it took I was expecting a long fight, but with some careful measuring using a how-to I read on this forum, it went quickly.
                      Searcy, Arkansas
                      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Well after only 5 more months the little things are mostly done. Joe took the truck down the road for a test drive. Everything seems good so far. I grabbed my new camera to get a picture when he returned, but it's not very good.

The shifter hit the seat as we expected and we had to heat and bend the shifter. Eventually he hopes to make a more stock looking one.

The last step will be hooking up the speedometer. We first tried converting the electronic speedometer drive to mechanical, but ran into problems finding the right parts. Joe finally bought an adapter from a place right here in Arkansas to convert the electronic signal to mechanical. The adapter is pricy, but easier. $280.00 with shipping.

After a bit more clean up in the engine compartment, the hood will go back on and he can try it on the highway.
                        Last edited by 52-fan; 11-25-2012, 02:02 PM.
                        Searcy, Arkansas
                        1952 2R pickup

Comment

What is the overdrive "step up" percentage in a T-5? The regular Studebaker Borg Warner OD is 33% step up, but is the T-5 15% or something else?
                          Last edited by RadioRoy; 11-26-2012, 02:39 PM.
                          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I'm not sure off hand what the ratio is. The truck already has 3:31 rear gears so he won't need as much OD as a stock diff. In any case the compound low 1st gear in the stock trans wasn't of much use. Joe also commented on how much quieter the T5 is than the truck trans.
                            Searcy, Arkansas
                            1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                              What is the overdrive "setp up" percentage in a T-5? The regular Studebaker Borg Warner OD is 33% step up, but is the T-5 15% or something else?
                              I used to have a link with a whole lot of info on all the ratios of T5 transmissions from all the automakers, I think it was an MG or Triumph website, regardless, IIRC, most GM sourced T5`s had a top gear ratio of .70, and a few had .63...FWIW my car with a 3.42 rear gear and T5 chugs along at a tick over 2100 rpm at 60 mph. Your brother is going to love his new trans. Regards, Junior
                              Last edited by junior; 11-25-2012, 05:51 PM.
                              sigpic
                              1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Working...
                              X