64 Wagonaire with a 283

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64 Wagonaire with a 283

Were any 1964 Wagonaires fitted with a McKinney (Chevy) 283? How about the ones that were built in Canada? Were they all 289s or could you also get it with a 259, in Canada?

The Chevy engines weren't used until the 65 models.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by M15 Trucker View Post
      Were any 1964 Wagonaires fitted with a McKinney (Chevy) 283? How about the ones that were built in Canada? Were they all 289s or could you also get it with a 259, in Canada?
      Regardless of where they were built, 1964 Wagonaires were available with any engine Studebaker made, and they were all Studebaker engines. An exception would be South-Bend sourced Daytona Wagonaires, which were not available with a six.

Now it stands to reason that during testing for the 1965 models, perhaps one or two 1964s were made test mules and fitted with the proposed 283 V8.

Do you by chance have one of those? I wouldn't think such an engineering "buck" would have escaped, but stranger things have happened. Indeed, earlier this week I learned that theBonneville Record Run pre-production model year 1964 cars had 1963-coded JT and JTS engines, using the older style engine numbering system, rather than the new-for-1964 engine coding system. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

As what Bob said. What is your serial number? That will possibly give us an answer of its correct year.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
          I learned that theBonneville Record Run pre-production model year 1964 cars had 1963-coded JT and JTS engines, using the older style engine numbering system, rather than the new-for-1964 engine coding system. BP

Here is a Minor but important update to Bob P's otherwise correct statement:

"using the older style engine numbering system, rather than the new-for-1964 DATE CODED engine NUMBERING system."
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Regardless of where they were built, 1964 Wagonaires were available with any engine Studebaker made, and they were all Studebaker engines. An exception would be South-Bend sourced Daytona Wagonaires, which were not available with a six.

Now it stands to reason that during testing for the 1965 models, perhaps one or two 1964s were made test mules and fitted with the proposed 283 V8.

Do you by chance have one of those? I wouldn't think such an engineering "buck" would have escaped, but stranger things have happened. Indeed, earlier this week I learned that theBonneville Record Run pre-production model year 1964 cars had 1963-coded JT and JTS engines, using the older style engine numbering system, rather than the new-for-1964 engine coding system. BP

I saw an add on Craigslist for a '64 Daytona Wagonaire. I the add the owner stated that the engine was a 283. I wasn't sure, but I thought that the 283 was only in the '65 & '66 models. Your replies have confirmed my assumption. If it does have a 283 it must have been installed as a replacement for the original engine. Either that or he's mistaken about the engine manufacturer. I'l have to ask him to find out about it and the serial numbers for the car, body & engine.

Comment

I saw an add on Craigslist for a '64 Daytona Wagonaire. I the add the owner stated that the engine was a 283. I wasn't sure, but I thought that the 283 was only in the '65 & '66 models. Your replies have confirmed my assumption. If it does have a 283 it must have been installed as a replacement for the original engine. Either that or he's mistaken about the engine manufacturer. I'l have to ask him to find out about it and the serial numbers for the car, body & engine.
              I've heard more than one person describe a Stude V8 engine as a "283". Seems they heard it's a two eighty something, and 283 is the number that sticks in their non car-guy brain for obvious reasons.
              Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

The wagonaire is in cherterfield, VA, here's the link http://richmond.craigslist.org/cto/3005936326.html. He's going to call me back with the serial number about 4:00pm CST when he gets home.

Comment

OK, I know that wagon. I'm on the hunt for a nice Astra White 1964 Daytona Wagonaire, and that one has been on e-bay before.

I've talked with the owner previously and, yes, someone pulled the Studebaker V8 engine out of it and it does have a 283 Chevy (or at least a SBC) in it.

But Studebaker didn't assemble it that way. Mystery solved. BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I did think that quite possibly, ONE '64 example had been fitted with the GM V8 as a prototype for the looming '65 models. Given the samness of the '64 - '65 models at a glance - AND the fact that any year clues had been dropped from both the serial and body tags for '65 - it would be easy for an >uninformed< sort to conclude wrongly as to the true vintage of a '65 Stude.
                    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I called the owner back and he got the serial number off the car, it is 64V 9093. Does anyone have the info for that number? Thanks to you all for the help and info you've given me.
                      Mike

Comment

Were any 1964 Wagonaires fitted with a McKinney (Chevy) 283?
                        McKinnon..... not McKinney.
                        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

It is a 8 Cylinder 1964 Studebaker, any more info would have to come from the Production Order from the Studebaker National Museum.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I called the owner back and he got the serial number off the car, it is 64V 9093. Does anyone have the info for that number? Thanks to you all for the help and info you've given me.
                            Mike
                            Mike, that Serial Number tells you about all you need to know: The car was built in South Bend fairly early in the 1964 model year; probably September 30, 1963, to be exact.

By the time they started fooling around with any late-production '64s to use as an engineering mule, the subject wagon, here, would have been long gone to a retail buyer....or at least had been shipped from South Bend and was in a dealer's inventory.

As I posted earlier, I have discussed this car with the owner. He went out and opened the hood and I asked him key questions that would confirm it having a transplanted Chevrolet engine in it.

It does have a Chevy in it. Studebaker didn't ship it that way.

(Believe me; if it had it's original Studebaker V8 in it, it doesn't look so bad that I might not already own it to complete my quartet of all four 1964 Daytona models in Astra White.) BP

Comment

Mike, that Serial Number tells you about all you need to know: The car was built in South Bend fairly early in the 1964 model year; probably September 30, 1963, to be exact.

By the time they started fooling around with any late-production '64s to use as an engineering mule, the subject wagon, here, would have been long gone to a retail buyer....or at least had been shipped from South Bend and was in a dealer's inventory.

As I posted earlier, I have discussed this car with the owner. He went out and opened the hood and I asked him key questions that would confirm it having a transplanted Chevrolet engine in it.

It does have a Chevy in it. Studebaker didn't ship it that way.

(Believe me; if it had it's original Studebaker V8 in it, it doesn't look so bad that I might not already own it to complete my quartet of all four 1964 Daytona models in Astra White.) BP
                              Or go ahead; buy that wagon and drop in your choice of Stude V8.
                              --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Working...
                              X