Parks pipes fit (just about)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust: Parks pipes fit (just about)

So one everyone's advice finally broke down and bought the Park's pipe for the drive's side of my Chevy V8 Lark. It just about fits, arrrgh! For the price it ought to fit. Turning all the way to the left (steering arm forward) it hits just about like the pipe I bent myself. Has anyone else had to tweak the pipe to get it to fit? I have heard about thicker and thinner motor mounts but I already have the air cleaner almost up at the hood and I don't really want to pull the engine again and change the mounts. I'd need to collapse the pipe about 1/2 inch to get the wheel turned all the way without hitting.

Originally posted by rickhmn2 View Post
    So one everyone's advice finally broke down and bought the Park's pipe for the drive's side of my Chevy V8 Lark. It just about fits, arrrgh! For the price it ought to fit. Turning all the way to the left (steering arm forward) it hits just about like the pipe I bent myself. Has anyone else had to tweak the pipe to get it to fit? I have heard about thicker and thinner motor mounts but I already have the air cleaner almost up at the hood and I don't really want to pull the engine again and change the mounts. I'd need to collapse the pipe about 1/2 inch to get the wheel turned all the way without hitting.
    Interesting. I have that same problem with the LH pipe hitting the relay rod as well on my 350 Chevy powered 1962 Lark. It too has 1965-66 283 pedestals with ca. 1965 Chevy Impala 283/327 mounts. And I also got my headpipes from Parks; I just assumed I didn't 'clock' it quite correctly.
    --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

As a comparison, here is a shot of the drivers side pipes from Don Simmons. This is the 2 1/4" system on my 83 Avanti.

I have no interference issues. Lark frame - 355 SBC w/ 2 1/2" vette manifolds. Hopefully this will help.

The muffler and tip are not from Don.

Bob

Comment

I'm not try'n to throw salt in the wound, but I only use Don Simmons pipes (I have had zero issues).... on the flipside I have had nothing but bad luck with pipes from other guys that say "Oh yeah I can bend pipes for stude"

I wouldn't go with the thicker mounts, rather just heat up the pipe with a good torch and give it hell.
        sorry about the tough luck brother... hope it gets better

Comment

I also have a exhaust to manifold pipe from Don Simmons with no clearance problems in my 63 lark with sbc Don welds the end of the pipe to get the right clearance if i,m not mistaken. Mac

Comment

I also bought a complete exhaust system for my 57 Golden Hawk from Don Simmons and had them shipped to Switzerland. He was very friendly to deal with, pipes arrived very fast and were a perfect fit to install. Sound is also great.
            sigpic

Comment

I also have installed Don Simmon's pipes on my '78 Avanti (w/Chevy 350). No issues with clearance for the steering. I have used Don's pipes on several of my Studebakers, and they have always fit perfectly. I wouldn't consider going elsewhere for pipes.
              Jim Bradley
              Lake Monticello, VA
              '78 Avanti II
              sigpic

Comment

Bob, I like the exhaust tip...........where did you get them?.....and how long are they??
                Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                As a comparison, here is a shot of the drivers side pipes from Don Simmons. This is the 2 1/4" system on my 83 Avanti.

I have no interference issues. Lark frame - 355 SBC w/ 2 1/2" vette manifolds. Hopefully this will help.

The muffler and tip are not from Don.

Bob

Comment

My brother has a Don ss exhaust on his Avanti.........can you spell SWEETTTTTTTTTTTTTTT:-)

Comment

I have bought pipes often from Don Simmons, and once from "the other guy". I now ONLY buy from Don, if that tells you anything.

Comment

Originally posted by rickhmn2 View Post
                      So one everyone's advice finally broke down and bought the Park's pipe for the drive's side of my Chevy V8 Lark.
                      I don't know where "everyone's advice" comes from. I only remember seeing many references to Simmons' pipes, not Park's pipes.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

thanks

thanks for the sympathy votes. I see a big difference in the simmons pipe. I had posted here a while ago and some said that the parks pipes were a good fit. I did smash the pipe enough to just clear so I guess it'll work.
                        Mounting the front sheet metal back on and getting ready to wire. Then we can fire it up and break in the engine and hopefully go for the first cruise in the car since 1961.

Comment

I learned my lesson on pipes bought a set from one of the other guys with 20 plus years of making pipes mine were wrong guess all his experience must have been wrong. Got a complete set from Don Simmons they were the same as originals fit the same.no issues with alignment clearances Also my brother got a set for his 56 Prsident which need to also fit the bumper cut out along with all the regular issues with gas tank and spare tire well . Not much enjoyment in getting a set of pipes taking off old and new don't fit. My advice get Don to make them installing is as easy as possible everything fits which is the most important part while working under a old car for us old guys.

Comment

Having been trashed on online forums in my business, it hurts and it's hard to defend yourself. In defense of Parks I recently sourced the oddball muffler the Daytona takes, it was shipped ASAP on "faith" and at a good price. Very happy

Comment

Same here. Maybe I was just lucky. My Parks pipes fit well, and they were good people to work with.
                              1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Working...
                              X