Front end alignment with radial tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Axle / Front Suspension: Front end alignment with radial tires

Just spoke to a friend of mine who says that when you install radial tires on a car originally designed for bias tires, you have to set the camber to a positive value. I have a 1962 Hawk has anyone had any experience with this?
    Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

Alignment

Ideally,yes. But your Hawk is a king pin set up that won't adjust to to any noticeable positive amount.
    I'm sure a bunch of members will jump in and assure you the alignment won't be a problem. You do need to get proper wheels to handle the stress forces created by radial tires. Good luck.

Comment

More importantly with radials, is to set the toe-in down to 1/8". You can even set it to less if your front end is very tight.
      64 GT Hawk (K7)
      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

I set my 53 on 1/2 neg camber and 1 pos caster. The toe in is 1/8 in. Drives good and no tire wear. Have about 2000 miles on it since setting. Tires are radial with 5.5 dodge steel wheels.
        Last edited by Flashback; 05-31-2012, 05:53 AM.

Comment

when you install radial tires on a car originally designed for bias tires, you have to set the camber to a positive value.
          No...NOT required....but radial OR bias...I always put at least a coupla degrees + in the caster angle.

All this does is allow the top, "back" angle of the king pin angle to help self center and give a better "feeling" of the road at the steering wheel.
          Also, as mentioned above either "0" or 1/2 degree negitive for the camber .
          This would be for a street going car. The values get larger/same direction for a more race oriented car.

This may be difficult to do with the limitations in the Stude suspension parts.

Mike

Comment

My -63 Hawk has same specs as "Flashback" has - would have added another degree of caster but the adjustment was at max at 1 degree.
            Paul TK

Comment

Working...
            X