Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

correct color for armrests in gold Golden Hawk???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: correct color for armrests in gold Golden Hawk???

hi,
    what is the original color of the BOTTOM of the armrests in a '57 Golden Hawk with the traditional gold vinyl interior? My car was originally gold, but someone reupholstered in black, so I thought the bottom black paint was also "added" by the previous owner....
    But I found a photo in my 'reference' archives that shows black bottoms on a Golden Hawk that I THINK is original and carefully restored....??
    In the attached photos, you can see the "restored" car's black armrest, and then MY original armrest, where under the black paint, the plastic is a tan color, so I assumed that was original for the "gold" interior. But maybe that is simply the natural color of the molded plastic part, and they WERE originally painted black?
    Thanks!
    Barry
    Attached Files

Studebaker brochure PD 1014 shows a 1957 Golden Hawk with a gold interior. The bottom section of the armrests are gold (as well as the top).
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

thanks Gary. I don't know which brochure it was (the one with the photo of a Hawk from the top on the front cover I think?) that I noticed that in last night.
      BUT, I know artists often took creative license with hand-painted illustrations, so not sure if that is truly 'gold' or not. And I can't find any photos showing the arm-rest in other articles. Not many photos highlight the door panel :- )

Comment

Hello Barry

I also own a 1957 Golden Hawk. But with red interior and original arm rests with red on top and red on bottom. So I would also assume that the top section and bottom section of the armrests for Gold Vinyl interior would be the same golden color.

http://mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail...=SC0511-106813
        sigpic

Comment

Thanks; that does sound like it must be correct in the illustration then; Is your plastic painted red? Or is it a red plastic? Mine (under the black paint) appears to be a goldish-tan plastic, natural color.
          Would be surprised if they molded different color plastic for all those when would have been so easy to paint them...... Maybe they were ALL molded from 'tan' plastic, and mine are replaced black units when the guy reupholstered in black...... (in which case I could get ANY armrests and also paint them gold .....)

Comment

Hello Barry

I took pictures of the armrests in my 1957 Golden Hawk. They are red Vinyl on top and the bottom is made of plastic, painted red. There is evidence on the bottom that they were painted matching color in the factory.

Have a great day.

Rudy
            Attached Files
            sigpic

Comment

I have a set of arm rests for my 58 GH still in the original boxes. They appear to be molded in the body color (park green).
              The ones currently installed on the car are the same way.
              I'm wondering if Studebaker molded some spares in body color and some in a neutral color to be painted to match body color.

Comment

thanks; looks like I could go either route then; Rudy's closeup photo of the underside of his red armrest looks like one area has the exact same 'tan' plastic as my black ones.
                So, might be original, or maybe my originals were painted gold....
                Either way, all of mine are cracked and I need to start looking for good replacements! (already have the new vinyl covers......)
                Thanks again guys!
                Barry

Comment

Sometimes there are NOS armrests on Ebay. There is a blue one on Ebay at the moment, so not the right color.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Studebaker-d...2fe9d7&vxp=mtr

Have a nice weekend.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Swiss-Goldenhawk View Post
                    Hello Barry

I also own a 1957 Golden Hawk. But with red interior and original arm rests with red on top and red on bottom. So I would also assume that the top section and bottom section of the armrests for Gold Vinyl interior would be the same golden color.

http://mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail...=SC0511-106813
                    On that 'Mecum Auction' Goldenhawk, there's one fairly obvious flaw in the nicely done stock restoration. Anyone spot it? (Non engine related)

Comment

Tail light caps should be chrome?

Joe D.

Comment

Nope (hint: Interior)

Comment

metal reinforcement/edge-guard that is mounted on the front seat backs should be gold, not black (I think?)

Comment

I also think, the edge guard should match the material color, in this case gold. My interior is red and the edge guard is red too.
                            sigpic

Comment

To: bsrosell & Swiss-Goldenhawk,------- You guys are right about that...... but that's not it!!
                              Last edited by SN-60; 06-03-2012, 04:52 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
                              X