55 hardtop to 53 hardtop conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 55 hardtop to 53 hardtop conversion

Any one know how difficult to convert a 55 hard top to a 53 lookalike, front, trunk etc.?

Well, first you'll need some wrenches and sockets. Then you'll need the required 53 sheet metal and trim. That's about it. Different radiator and a little wiring modification and you're good to go. OF COURSE - if you were planning on USING the '55 sheetmetal to form 53-style pieces from........... you'll need some serious tools and skills to match. But with 53 metal in hand - which isn't exactly plentiful these days - it's relatively easy.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks, figured on finding 53 sheet metal. Do you know if the hood from the starliner and the sedans are the same?

Comment

one word NO! The starlight and Starliner have the same fenders, trunk & hood. Sedans are shorter.... that was one of the hold-ups on the assembly line back in the day.

Comment

Yeah - there's NOTHING in the way of sheet metal on a sedan that you could use. Not even the hood ornament. OH! Wait.......... the grille bars for 53 sedans DO interchange with those used on hardtops and coupes.
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by 16tonso9 View Post
            Thanks, figured on finding 53 sheet metal. Do you know if the hood from the starliner and the sedans are the same?
            Remember that the 55 fenders will work, you'll need the hood, fascia sheet metal and grill parts. The most difficult and expensive parts to find for a 53/54 but there are fiberglass parts available if you a not a stickler for originality. I also like the 55 tail lights better but 53's will bolt right on.

Welcome and much success on your quest.

Bob

Comment

Bob's mentioned that the '55 fenders WILL work - as well as the chin/scoop. At the rear - nothing to change but the bumper and valence. Of course, the 55 trunklid emblems and handle would have to have their holes filled and new ones drilled to accept the '53 emblems - of course, that's if you're planning to make it really look like a stock 53. I happen to think the '54 taillights are the prettiest of the three years, but they'll all interchange.

Comment

We are in the process of doing that very mod right now. There are some other changes that need to be made. The front sheet metal where the upper grill support mounts requires a slight modification. It only takes a little hammer dolly work, but be mindful that its not just a bolt on if using the 55 fenders. Also, the hood prop needs to be moved down. . There are a couple of other changes that are pretty minor. Holes in the fenders where the HUGE chrome parking lights mount and the "tag" on the lower valance may be removed. Be mindful of the front bumper brackets, they are also different. The front bumper itself is 53 54 only. The rear bumper is also different, though many people choose to keep the 55 rear bumper. I have mixed feelings about it, but as it stands now, we are moving to the 54 rear bumper as well.
                sals54

Comment

Working...
                X