Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Dipstick and tube for 2-speed automatic

Folks,

We have a '53 Champion with a '63 289, but we aren't exactly sure which year the 2-speed automatic transmission is from. At some point the previous owners shortened the dipstick and tube without scoring a line for fluid levels. The tube itself comes out of the front of the pan, to the left of center, does a ninety, a worms its way up in an irregular shape. We may fill it and score it ourselves, but it leaves uncertainty. Questions:

a) Does this sound like a '63 retrofitted? What would the original length be?
    b) Does anyone have a spare tube and dipstick that resembles this?

Thank you.

I dont know about the 6 cylinder trannys but on the V-8's the dipstick tube went into the rear of the pan. The only 6 I have is in my Zip Van. I'd have to look at it later.

As far as your description goes, it's not a 2 speed but a 3 speed. Many make that mistake due to the shift indicator having only a "D & L" but in reality most have a 2nd gear start in drive. If you start out in low & then shift into drive you will notice it shifts again as speed increases.

I just looked a the Zip Van & it doesnt have the type of dipstick that the 63 car would have had. You might check & see if your transmission still has the old style dipstick on the upper right side of the trans. If so, put the car up on jack stands (making sure its level), start the car & put it in gear, set the e-brake so the rear wheels dont turn & check the fluid level at the old style cap. If it reads full then you have a level to mark the underhood dipstick & see what the difference is.
    Last edited by Warren Webb; 05-29-2012, 07:12 AM.
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Thanks, I was actually wondering about the 2 speed/3 speed thing.

I wonder if this is the stock transmission then, since it comes from the front of the pan.

Comment

Originally posted by dekker0 View Post
        Thanks, I was actually wondering about the 2 speed/3 speed thing.

I wonder if this is the stock transmission then, since it comes from the front of the pan.
        Is the shift quadrant (Dial) marked: PNDLR? Do all the positions line up with the lighted green indicator dot?

You can give us the info from the oval nameplate on the side of the Trans. case (left side?)? Maybe we can tell if this is a Detroit Gear 3 band Studebaker Automatic Drive as original, or a later Flight-O-Matic.
        If it is a short tail bolted yoke output shaft, it would be a '56 or '57 or a Truck, and if a long tail (slide-in driveshaft yoke) it's a '58-'64 Stude. mated to your 289.

There usually is not enough clearance to the Torque Converter Housing to get the filler in the front, this must really be a custom installation.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I was only able to get a 5-6 digit stamped number off of the oval nameplate, the printed info was worn off. I'll post it later tonight.

Comment

My mistake, the filler tube does come from the back of the pan. The number stamped on the oval plate is 83966. Like I said, the rest is worn off.

And it is a long tail slide-in yoke, so it sounds as though it's probably a '63 just like the engine. That being said, how long would the dipstick have been before they cut it short? Ideally they cut it exactly relative to how they cut the tube, but it still leaves us with no idea where the fluid level lines should be. Haven't been able to find a tube online anywhere, so we may just have to fill it and spot it ourselves for future measurement.

Comment

I have a dipstick and tube here for a late FlightOMatic. I can send it to your for postage (probably not real cheap due to the size, however), or I can measure mine, pan fitting to end. The problem with that is that it may not be real accurate due to all the bends.
              Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick,

If you could get me an approximate length, that would be great, tube and dipstick. I'd like to check it out comparatively, but there's a good chance I'd be willing to pay for the postage once we hash it out here.

Comment

Originally posted by dekker0 View Post
                  Dick,

If you could get me an approximate length, that would be great, tube and dipstick. I'd like to check it out comparatively, but there's a good chance I'd be willing to pay for the postage once we hash it out here.
                  I'll measure tomorrow and post here.
                  Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

Here are a couple of pictures of the dipstick and tube...

The dipstick is 32" long from the tip to where it seats in the tube. It is 2 1/8" from the tip to the middle of the "add" mark. It is 3 3/4" from the tip to the middle of the "full" mark.

The tube is tough to measure. Here's my best guess.

The total tube length from the flare where it seats in the pan to the end is 48". It is 36" from the last big bend around the pan to the end. These dimensions are most likely wrong by some amount and probably even 1/4" or so will throw off the correct level markings. One thing you might do is thoroughly drain the pan and torque converter and then fill it with the required number of quarts, run it, warm it up, check in D and mark your current dipstick.
                    Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Thanks, Dick. I will be in touch.

Comment

Working...
                      X